New Computer for Vet School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which iPad is better for vet school?

• iPad Pro 2020

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • iPad Air 2019

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • IPad Pro 2018

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
So my mother has officially ordered me a Lenovo laptop. :D

It's unfortunately not one of the fancy models like the ones discussed here, but it will get the job done. According to my techie brother, it's just as good as his Apple laptop but at half the price.

Only downside is that it comes with Windows 8. :barf:

Has anyone started using 8 yet? Unfortunately that was the only option on new laptops. I think I will most likely end up spending an extra $100 to buy Windows 7 instead.

Members don't see this ad.

Windows 8 is fine. You can get it to run just like Windows 7 and then ignore the weird stuff. And, you send me a PM, I can tell you where to get your Start bar back for like $5 or something.

I just wanted to write a little follow-up on the Adonit jot pro since someone asked about it earlier. I used it last night in my lit class and in my physics class. For highlighting/mark-ing up a PDF I'd give it a 9/10. For writing a full 5 pages of physics notes + problems, I'd give it a 6/10. This could also just be that my writing style doesn't translate perfectly to a stylus. But overall I really like it and I would recommend it. I think in the future I'll be using it more for diagrams and highlighting than for full pages of writing.

3UJg198.jpg

I've also been loving the Notability app. As my Lit professor shuffled through her 60+ pages of print-outs I was able to find the paragraph she was talking about in seconds and then effortlessly switch back to my notes and continue typing. :D I know that some lament tablets' lack of keyboards and I have to say, the Logitech keyboard I got for the iPad is THE BEST (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/ultrathin-keyboard-cover). It's pricey but worth it. I would give that thing a solid 10/10. I'm a fast typer and it is incredibly responsive, quiet, has a nice key-feel, battery lasts for weeks, and just works really well with the ipad. It acts as a smart case so when I'm finished with class I just fold the ipad and keyboard together and drop it into my bag. If I'm typing with the ipad propped up in the keyboard and I want to remove it to annotate something with the stylus it takes all of 2 seconds to remove it and lay the ipad flat. I do have small hands though so your mileage may vary if your hands are larger.

Logitech_Ultrathin_Keyboard_Cover_for_iPad_35235084_02_620x433.jpg

Since neither of my professors use power point slides right now (my physics professor barely uses email), I still need to figure out the best way to deal with those. Any tips on apps?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to bump this thread again. I think a lot of us who will be starting vet school in a few months are trying to figure out what technology is going to work best. I love seeing how people use their iPads or tablets to take notes because that's the route I'm looking at. My Macbook is 5 years old now (it's one of those fugly white ones) and while it still works, it's got some issues.

I've got some Best Buy gift cards I've been hoarding from past birthdays, so I'm thinking I will use them towards buying an external hard drive (how did I get through undergrad without one?) and some sort of laptop or tablet thingy. I'm just not sure what at this point. I'm kind of straying away from a Mac or iPad, even though I've got an iPhone and a Macbook; they're really pricey and I'm not sure either a Mac or an iPad would fit my needs exactly. From what I'm hearing it sounds like you kind of need both a laptop/desktop computer for at home and possibly a tablet like device for class.

Another thought that just popped into my head: for people who use e-versions of their textbooks, is it possible to read your textbook and take notes on the same device?

I actually just spent a crap ton of money yesterday on purchasing a new Macbook Pro (I also have one of the old white ones that is 5 years old, now). Still works great but is slow and has hardly any memory left on it since it is so old. I'm still considering an iPad at some point, but my dad has said it is terrible to try to take actual notes on.

I know that some lament tablets' lack of keyboards and I have to say, the Logitech keyboard I got for the iPad is THE BEST (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/ultrathin-keyboard-cover). It's pricey but worth it. I would give that thing a solid 10/10. I'm a fast typer and it is incredibly responsive, quiet, has a nice key-feel, battery lasts for weeks, and just works really well with the ipad. It acts as a smart case so when I'm finished with class I just fold the ipad and keyboard together and drop it into my bag. If I'm typing with the ipad propped up in the keyboard and I want to remove it to annotate something with the stylus it takes all of 2 seconds to remove it and lay the ipad flat. I do have small hands though so your mileage may vary if your hands are larger.

Logitech_Ultrathin_Keyboard_Cover_for_iPad_35235084_02_620x433.jpg

Just got mine from Amazon.... holy crap is it wonderful!!

Just got mine from Amazon.... holy crap is it wonderful!!

I'm glad you like it! I've been using my keyboard 5+ days a week since I wrote my last post (3ish weeks ago) and I still really, really love it. :)

I have a Samsung Note 10.1 tablet and LOVE it!!!! I use every day to take notes on, whether its doc, powerpoint, pdf, I can handwrite my notes and love it. I have a computer for home use and tablet for school use. Lightweight and the dropbox is one of the best apps. Won't take up too much space. Def recommend!!

I have a Samsung Note 10.1 tablet and LOVE it!!!! I use every day to take notes on, whether its doc, powerpoint, pdf, I can handwrite my notes and love it. I have a computer for home use and tablet for school use. Lightweight and the dropbox is one of the best apps. Won't take up too much space. Def recommend!!

I have this tablet as well and have had no major problems with it.

Ooh I'm totally going to go check this tablet out. I'm leaning towards trying to make my old Macbook last as my "home" computer and buying a new tablet to use in class. I'm slightly concerned about compatibility between Mac & PC, but since iPads seem to be crappy for writing out notes, it looks like I might have to go that route.

Anyone else have a tablet that they really love?

Anyone have the Microsoft surface? Seems like it would be really good for vet school, I wish I had one :/

Friends of mine love iAnnotate for the iPad. I bought Notes Plus first year...and haven't used it after Y1S1. I find that I do best making short notes on the hard copies passed out in class. I have the stylus TT showed and yeah, it sucks. Then again I (personally) feel like most styluses (styli?) don't come close to actual writing. You can also buy screen covers to protect the screen - love mine.

I use my iPad for reading Powerpoints while studying at home (when I want to sit on the couch or in bed) as well as checking email, reading the news, games, etc. I have a desktop that I want to get rid of if only because it's a PITA to bring back and forth and takes up space but I can't justify buying a new laptop when the desktop is still functioning (and the iPad covers convenience usage). Oh well.

I've never been able to figure out what the fuss is all about with getting a super brand new laptop / tablet for vet school (assuming what you have works fine, if you have something that's about 5+ years old and is unreliable at best then that's a different story). I have a two year old Toshiba Satellite L745-S4235 and I've never had an issue with it (may have to replace / upgrade the battery though). Call me old fashioned, but I've always gotten by in undergrad by printing out the lecture slides beforehand and writing extra notes on them with a pen. Is that a reasonable way of getting through vet school (especially asking this to anyone attending VMRCVM), or am I just behind the times and need an upgrade?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never been able to figure out what the fuss is all about with getting a super brand new laptop / tablet for vet school (assuming what you have works fine, if you have something that's about 5+ years old and is unreliable at best then that's a different story). I have a two year old Toshiba Satellite L745-S4235 and I've never had an issue with it (may have to replace / upgrade the battery though). Call me old fashioned, but I've always gotten by in undergrad by printing out the lecture slides beforehand and writing extra notes on them with a pen. Is that a reasonable way of getting through vet school (especially asking this to anyone attending VMRCVM), or am I just behind the times and need an upgrade?

I've heard that you can order printed note packets to write on at VMR. I was planning on writing quick notes on these and having a laptop just in case I need to take more extensive notes. I do better by writing things out by hand though. Hopefully a current student could chime in about this, because I'd also love to know if that's a feasible way to do it.

You can definitely take notes by hand. I do for most classes but on a tablet so that I don't have to deal with paper. Plus, not all our professors put up PPTs or PDFs up in enough time to be printed.

There are some classes where I still type notes. I also use my comouter when I'm behond on my study guides (which happens more than I'd like to admit).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using SDN Mobile

I use Good Notes on the iPad, with a stylus, and I love it. It's a great app, and they're frequently updating and adding new and better features. I use the Wacom Bamboo stylus. Don't get a $2 stylus, it'll make you hate life.

The reason I think people just jump in and get a new computer is the fact that the life span of a laptop is normally 3-4 year. So If you start with your old computer there is more of a chance that you will have to replace it while in school. So people just avoid that by purchasing a new one.

My current computer that I love and had zero issues with randomly decided to stop working during finals week for Mod 3 classes. The hard drive was shot and the compute gave zero indication that anything was wrong until the computer ceased all functions.

I'm going to get a new laptop for vet school as I just opted to pay 80 bucks and replace the hard drive on my current one. I'm going to leave the new sexy laptop at home on my desk and transport my current one back and forth if necessary. I will also most likely upgrade my Dropbox to hold more as extra protection.

The reason I think people just jump in and get a new computer is the fact that the life span of a laptop is normally 3-4 year. So If you start with your old computer there is more of a chance that you will have to replace it while in school. So people just avoid that by purchasing a new one.

This. Though newer computers are starting to last a lot longer. I'm on year three of my POS Lenovo (I love lenovos, but this is an entry level mass produced/sold one- at my undergrad a laptop was included in your tuition), but I think I'll buy a new one before starting vet school in the fall. I'd rather have everything on one computer than have to switch midway through.

I'm probably going to keep my laptop from undergrad (no point in getting the fancy gaming computer I wanted when I'm not going to have any time for gaming) but also get a tablet for note-taking in class, largely because of all the posts here. I'm really appreciating reading everyone's reviews!

I'm probably going to keep my laptop from undergrad (no point in getting the fancy gaming computer I wanted when I'm not going to have any time for gaming) but also get a tablet for note-taking in class, largely because of all the posts here. I'm really appreciating reading everyone's reviews!

This is my plan as well.

I checked out the Note 10.1 in the store yesterday. I really liked it! The salesperson showed me how to Kies to transfer files between the Note (PC) to my laptop (Mac). I'm going to start saving.

I've been looking into this one.I have read some reviews that it isn't compatible with Adobe... have you run into that problem, or do you just not seem to need it for any classes.

Anyone have the Microsoft surface? Seems like it would be really good for vet school, I wish I had one :/

I tried out the Surface RT and Pro at a Best Buy. I was pretty disappointed. I found them both to be a bit underpowered. I also am not a fan of Windows 8 and RT is just useless. But the biggest issue I found was the keyboard. The keys were the stiffest and most unresponsive I've ever typed on.

Okay I need some help from anyone who has computer knowledge. I'm looking at the Lenovo Yoga, I fiddled around with one at the store today the guy said it was a 13.3 inch screen w/ i5, 128mb SSD and 8mb of RAM. However when I'm looking online at these machines and it appears this model at this price typically comes with 4mb of RAM, now I'm concerned that he goofed and that 4 wont be enough. The small HD worries me too but I have a 1TB external hard drive and am fine with storing things like photos and all that junk on there and keeping this computer school and business only. I'm a huge note taker, diagram maker and I like the tablet to laptop conversion of this system. I'm not a gamer.

For some reason I am REALLY fretting this whole buying a new laptop for school. I desperately need one I just want the best that I can get and I REALLY am adverse to shelling out 1k+ for a laptop. But I want it to last and do what I want it to do.

Okay I need some help from anyone who has computer knowledge. I'm looking at the Lenovo Yoga, I fiddled around with one at the store today the guy said it was a 13.3 inch screen w/ i5, 128mb SSD and 8mb of RAM. However when I'm looking online at these machines and it appears this model at this price typically comes with 4mb of RAM, now I'm concerned that he goofed and that 4 wont be enough. The small HD worries me too but I have a 1TB external hard drive and am fine with storing things like photos and all that junk on there and keeping this computer school and business only. I'm a huge note taker, diagram maker and I like the tablet to laptop conversion of this system. I'm not a gamer.

For some reason I am REALLY fretting this whole buying a new laptop for school. I desperately need one I just want the best that I can get and I REALLY am adverse to shelling out 1k+ for a laptop. But I want it to last and do what I want it to do.

If you are planning on using Onenote for taking notes and drawing diagrams and stuff, I'm not sure you'll be happy with that harddrive. I'm in my fourth year, and to date, my OneNote file alone is 20gb, which is class notes/ppts/pdfs from all three years + a few random things from fourth year so far.

Meh.... :scared:

Even with the whole Cloud/Dropbox situation?

Meh.... :scared:

Even with the whole Cloud/Dropbox situation?

You could probably find a way to work around, or only keep current semesters notes accessible. I like having it all available though. Especially since fourth year has started, I've been going back through my notes to look up various things. My file for spring semester of first year only is about 3gb. Fall semester third year was pushing 4.2gb, and the rest seem to be somewhere in between there.

My Dropbox maxed out at 18gb of space, and I think you have to pay to get more than that.

You could probably find a way to work around, or only keep current semesters notes accessible. I like having it all available though. Especially since fourth year has started, I've been going back through my notes to look up various things. My file for spring semester of first year only is about 3gb. Fall semester third year was pushing 4.2gb, and the rest seem to be somewhere in between there.

My Dropbox maxed out at 18gb of space, and I think you have to pay to get more than that.

I read through and cant figure out which model of Lenovo you have? It gonna go with one of the ones that twist to fold into a tablet? Do you find it sturdy?

I think the Yoga is out due to stylus incompatibility.

Last edited:
I read through and cant figure out which model of Lenovo you have? It gonna go with one of the ones that twist to fold into a tablet? Do you find it sturdy?

I think the Yoga is out due to stylus incompatibility.

I don't have a Lenovo, just commenting on the hard drive size of the SSD you were looking at. I'm assuming you mean 128GB not mb, and I'm just letting you know that if you use OneNote, it will fill up very very quickly. Figure that all installed hardware/software takes up some of that 128gb, you only have a chunk left over. I have a 500gb harddrive and it is 99% full, even after I moved all pictures and videos to an SD card, along with most music. .

Last edited:
I do love my Lenovo T220. I just got a SSD this summer and it's only 128. I am fine with that because even if I have 40GB notes and stuff, I don't have all my music or pictures or whatever no there, so there is plenty of space. I like it a lot, but it was an investment - I paid over $2k for it with the warranty. But I got the best with the intent of it lasting the whole four years without turning into a slow clunker or having an issue that couldn't be fixed.

Okay so I after going to every electronic store in the area and playing with everything. I just ordered a Lenovo Yoga 13 but I splurged on the 256 SSD and the 8GB Memory, its an i5. Every techy that I spoke to said for everything but the major gamers and video editors were fine with i5. I also opted for the longest warranty and protection plan available.

It doesn't ship until August. =(

Okay so I after going to every electronic store in the area and playing with everything. I just ordered a Lenovo Yoga 13 but I splurged on the 256 SSD and the 8GB Memory, its an i5. Every techy that I spoke to said for everything but the major gamers and video editors were fine with i5. I also opted for the longest warranty and protection plan available.

It doesn't ship until August. =(

I have exactly the same thing (and I love it). originally mine said I wasn't going to get it for a month, but I got it a week and a half after I ordered it.

I have exactly the same thing (and I love it). originally mine said I wasn't going to get it for a month, but I got it a week and a half after I ordered it.

This excites me greatly! I need a good while to figure out Windows 8 and set up everything.

Once you go Mac, you don't go back. That is all.

Reactions: 1 user
Once you go Mac, you don't go back. That is all.

Fail.

Macs/anything Apple are for those who want to be controlled by the man. Granted, going for something like linx is massive hardcore, PC's do give you enough freedom and customization... people complain about viruses and spyware, etc, but, that's a cost of the freedom of not all having the same vanilla experience with the mac.

Fail.

Macs/anything Apple are for those who want to be controlled by the man. Granted, going for something like linx is massive hardcore, PC's do give you enough freedom and customization... people complain about viruses and spyware, etc, but, that's a cost of the freedom of not all having the same vanilla experience with the mac.

Matter of opinion I suppose. I'm not totally computer illiterate, but I don't think I'm very savy either. I like the simplicity and ease of use I get with the Mac OS, not to mention it's been extremely reliable. Been using this computer constantly for 3+ years and haven't had any issues; works just about as well as when I first bought it with minimal maintenance.

Fail.

I assume by linx you mean linux. Ironically enough Mac OsX and linux are actually very similar operating systems and most software that runs on linux can easily be run on OsX. The benefit is that you get the stability and user experience of of a mac and still have all the majority of the flexibility of a linux based system. I still have linux computers as servers, but OsX on my main system. I'm not sure how my computer working reliable and virus/spyware free = vanilla. But either way I'm ok with it.

Looking at a lot of computers for vet school. I know this varies depending on school/class/personal note taking style, but is there a minimum recommended battery life? The one I'm looking at has 4 hours of battery life, but I'm not sure if that would be enough considering I'll have 7ish hours of class a day. Thoughts?

Looking at a lot of computers for vet school. I know this varies depending on school/class/personal note taking style, but is there a minimum recommended battery life? The one I'm looking at has 4 hours of battery life, but I'm not sure if that would be enough considering I'll have 7ish hours of class a day. Thoughts?

Most of the schools I looked at had plenty of outlets. Here we have about 1000 outlets throughout the buildings. First year was a little rough outlet wise, but we just parked a power strip at the end of the row and that solved our problems. Carrying a charger around with me was never a big deal. My computer had, I think 6 hours of battery life advertised. I never even got close to that with the heavy use I gave it every day, what with screen brightness, power settings and MS office programs, especially OneNote.

I'm not gonna yammer on about virus susceptibility or cost or just being one of those 'Mac people' - it's not about that. I just don't LIKE using a Mac. I like my familiar PC with all the familiar features and all the different things I already know how to do regarding file types and programs and hidden folders and blah blah. I just prefer it.

I have an iPad and an iPhone!

I will say, from experience, if you get a Macbook, get it from Best Buy and get their warranty/care plan. Apple care doesn't cover water damage, but the Best Buy plan does.

I assume by linx you mean linux. Ironically enough Mac OsX and linux are actually very similar operating systems and most software that runs on linux can easily be run on OsX. The benefit is that you get the stability and user experience of of a mac and still have all the majority of the flexibility of a linux based system. I still have linux computers as servers, but OsX on my main system. I'm not sure how my computer working reliable and virus/spyware free = vanilla. But either way I'm ok with it.

as a gamer, a PC is the only system (i would argue the only system over a console, but I admit i do have some love for consoles.

MacOs is based on linux, but it also doesn't have the customizability or the "open source" of linux, or even the windows os. And the other issue is the limit in the hardware, ie, you have to get apple's hardware, or you can't get a mac. So, since pretty much everyone has the same mac experience, with little individualism does = vanilla. :shrug: for the average person's needs, its a matter of opinion really, but also i think you don't get what you pay for with a mac vs a similarly spec'd pc (which will be much cheaper) or vs a similarly priced pc (which will be much more powerful). I'm not as rabid anti-mac as I was growing up, but still have no real love for it. but that's also cause I build my own machines when I can...

Hey all, I have a MacBook Air from 2011 and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it for vet school. Looking over the specs, it seems as though the only things that don't meet the recommendations are the graphics card, and the lack of CD/DVD drive and ethernet port (and my core is slightly older). Since wifi is everywhere, I don't think the ethernet would be a problem.

I got this laptop for grad school since I had a super long bus commute and walk and I loved how light and fast it was, but I'm not sure if the specs are up to date enough. Any thoughts?

I think that you are fine. The lack of a disc drive shouldn't be an issue, and you could always get an external if you needed. Most of what I do is either use the internet, watch videos, or take notes using OneNote (but you would use whatever it is that you like). Most computers are fine for that. Battery life is usually the more limiting factor.

Hey all, I have a MacBook Air from 2011 and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it for vet school. Looking over the specs, it seems as though the only things that don't meet the recommendations are the graphics card, and the lack of CD/DVD drive and ethernet port (and my core is slightly older). Since wifi is everywhere, I don't think the ethernet would be a problem.

I got this laptop for grad school since I had a super long bus commute and walk and I loved how light and fast it was, but I'm not sure if the specs are up to date enough. Any thoughts?

My BF uses his MacBook Air and doesn't have a problem with it. If you end up needed the disk drive or something that isn't included with the Air, Penn has laptops you can rent out for 4 hours at a time or longer if you get permission. They let me use one for like 2 weeks when I spilled water on my laptop. There are also the computers in the library. You'll be fine.

Awesome, one less thing to worry about for now! Thanks guys :)

as a gamer, a PC is the only system (i would argue the only system over a console, but I admit i do have some love for consoles.

MacOs is based on linux, but it also doesn't have the customizability or the "open source" of linux, or even the windows os. And the other issue is the limit in the hardware, ie, you have to get apple's hardware, or you can't get a mac. So, since pretty much everyone has the same mac experience, with little individualism does = vanilla. :shrug: for the average person's needs, its a matter of opinion really, but also i think you don't get what you pay for with a mac vs a similarly spec'd pc (which will be much cheaper) or vs a similarly priced pc (which will be much more powerful). I'm not as rabid anti-mac as I was growing up, but still have no real love for it. but that's also cause I build my own machines when I can...

I'll agree with you on most of those points. Although I would say the price premium for the laptops is pretty small when you compare it to a computer with close to the same specs(features, performance, and weight).

You could always build your own fake mac. Here is mine:
IMAGE_9CC51C7D-84CC-4DDA-B317-DFAF0387D5AC.JPG

It solves the flexibility/cost issue.

I have an iPad and an iPhone!

So, how do you guys with an iPad get the notes to transfer onto your computer? I know y'all are using OneNote (as far as I can tell), and I'm on a mac, but still, it should be relatively similar with Growly, yeah?

P.S. I did NOT like Growly. :( I found it cumbersome and my stupid professors gave all the notes for the entire class in one HUGE PDF. I think that's where my frustrations set in. Anyone have any suggestions on how to not hate it this year?

P.P.S. I have iAnnotate on the iPad and it's SO great for taking notes on powerpoints.