New 2017 Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

louminati

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering what the new DO schools are for the June 2017 cycle application

Members don't see this ad.

just curious as to why you would even want to apply to the new schools..wouldnt that be limiting your oppurtunities for residencies?

Members don't see this ad :)
just curious as to why you would even want to apply to the new schools..wouldnt that be limiting your oppurtunities for residencies?

New to trying to explain this but lemme give it a shot. Quick edit: i'm speaking from what I think but people feel free to correct what I say i'm always up for learning about how this works.

New schools while are limiting in the sense that you are risking what your rotations are since they're not quite established, also give some people an opportunity to apply for schools that may give them some leeway since average gpa and mcat are not established yet, though they are still competitive so it's crucial to not let your guard down. I'll be reapplying myself next cycle and i'll be looking into newer schools after I learned my lesson the hard way this cycle about not having a plan B and not making my list correctly the first time.

Newer schools in my opinion also may not be as bad if the undergrad has a decent foundation already to be making a good medical school as well as good hospitals around the area and the means to be making the connections for their rotations later.

There are however cons to new schools popping up left and right, and if you look into the topic a bit you can see people who articulate much better than me and their arguments on why.

It essentially boils down to what is their plan in the following years, will they do it and whether you want to apply to a new place at the risk of how they may prep for boards and such? Though is there a stigma for new schools and residencies? I was under the impression that if you knock your board exams dead no matter what school then residency opportunities will open?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine is opening and accepting applications this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
New to trying to explain this but lemme give it a shot. Quick edit: i'm speaking from what I think but people feel free to correct what I say i'm always up for learning about how this works.

New schools while are limiting in the sense that you are risking what your rotations are since they're not quite established, also give some people an opportunity to apply for schools that may give them some leeway since average gpa and mcat are not established yet, though they are still competitive so it's crucial to not let your guard down. I'll be reapplying myself next cycle and i'll be looking into newer schools after I learned my lesson the hard way this cycle about not having a plan B and not making my list correctly the first time.

Newer schools in my opinion also may not be as bad if the undergrad has a decent foundation already to be making a good medical school as well as good hospitals around the area and the means to be making the connections for their rotations later.

There are however cons to new schools popping up left and right, and if you look into the topic a bit you can see people who articulate much better than me and their arguments on why.

It essentially boils down to what is their plan in the following years, will they do it and whether you want to apply to a new place at the risk of how they may prep for boards and such? Though is there a stigma for new schools and residencies? I was under the impression that if you knock your board exams dead no matter what school then residency opportunities will open?

Great response to an otherwise silly question that didn't answer the thread topic question.
Newer schools, although limiting in some regards, will give one an opportunity to become a physician. Newer school > No school.

Reactions: 2 users
Great response to an otherwise silly question that didn't answer the thread topic question.

Newer schools, although limiting in some regards, will give one an opportunity to become a physician. Newer school > No school.
not exactly sure as to why you had to throw a sly jab at me and call my question "silly". I didn't think it was a bad question, but thanks for answering it anyway.

not exactly sure as to why you had to throw a sly jab at me and call my question "silly". I didn't think it was a bad question, but thanks for answering it anyway.

Wasn't throwing a jab at you! Just the question. Any search on this forum would have given you the answer to that question. I am not, however, implying anything about you in the least.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile