USMLE/COMLEX NEW - 2016 USMLE Step 1 Triple Review Audio Package - 20% OFF Discussion Forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Apollo AudioBooks USMLE Prep

20% off the USMLE Step 1 Triple Review Audio Course
Use coupon code: SDNforum

Audio course covering biochemistry, anatomy, and neurobiology
iOS, Android, MP3
Valid 3/30/16 to 4/24/16

Previous offer (expired):

Apollo will be giving away Six (6) "USMLE Step 1 Tripleotal Audio Packages" and Six (6) "USMLE Step 2 Total Audio Packages" to 12 lucky members! Winners for each raffle will be drawn from among the members who post questions about the product or otherwise meaningfully contribute to the discussion on the Apollo Audiobooks USMLE-related forums. Step 1 Audio products will be raffled for posts on Step 1-related threads, and Step 2 Audio packages will be raffled for posts on Step 2-related threads. Each Total Audio Package is approximately a $350.00 value.

Keywords for this thread are - USMLE Step 1 Total Audio Package, USMLE Step 1, USMLE Step 1 Audio, USMLE Step 1 Audiobook, Step 1 Audio, Step 1 MP3, UMLE Step 1 MP3, USMLE Step 1 Audio Download, USMLE Step 1 MP3 Download, USMLE Step 1 Audio Torrent, USMLE Step 1 MP3 Torrent, FREE USMLE Audio, Free Step Audio Downloads, Free USMLE Step 1 MP3, USMLE, Step 1, Audio, Download, MP3, Torrent, Discount, Email Subscriber Discount

NEW! USMLE Step 1 Total Audio Package!

Apollo Audiobooks, LLC is happy to announce the release of our NEW USMLE Step 1 Total Audio Package! In short, the Step 1 Total Audio Package is a combination of ALL OF OUR STEP 1 AUDIO MP3s combined into a single program and sold at a significant discount to buying them separately. . .

To Put is VERY SIMPLY. . .

What is Included In the USMLE Step 1 Audio Package?
- - - Over 130 hours of Step 1 Audio Review!

1. Gold Standard Step 1 of the Boards, Updated 2011 Edition - Included
  • A 69 HOUR of Step 1 USMLE Audio Review in Q & A Format
  • INCLUDING over 9 hours of totally new material
  • PLUS 150% "FAST Speed" version included for FREE
  • PLUS 300 page Step 1 Reference Manual PDF document FREE

2. Gold Standard Foundations of Medicine Audio - Included
  • A 48 HOUR USMLE Audio Review in Q & A Format
  • Great for the USMLE Step 1 AND USMLE Step 2 AND Clinical Rotations

3. USMLE Help Anatomy Audio MP3 - Included
  • A 7.5 HOUR USMLE Anatomy Audio Review in Q & A Format
  • Includes over 1,200 Anatomy Questions and Answers

4. USMLE Help Biochemistry Audio MP3 - Included
  • A 6 HOUR USMLE Biochemistry Audio Review in Q & A Format
  • Includes over 1,000 Biochemistry Questions and Answers

Get 20% OFF the USMLE Step 1 Total Audio Package Here!

At Apollo we have packaged these four USMLE Step 1 Audio Resources together, and we are happy to offer the Total Audio Package at 20% OFF the price of purchasing the titles individually! This 20% OFF pricing is good for all customers who would like to purchase the USMLE Step 1 Total Audio Package. You do not have to be an email subscriber. You do not have to join a group. You simply get 20% OFF Our Regular Price versus purchasing each of the products individually.

Get 40% OFF the USMLE Step 1 Total Audio Package Here!
- - - Email Subscribers Only - Sign Up NOW!

At Apollo our opt-in email subscribers get some of the best benefits on the web! These benefits include:
  • NEW! 40% OFF USMLE "Total Audio Packages"
  • NEW! 40% OFF USMLEHelp audio as a part of the "Total Audio Packages"
  • 40% OFF Gold Standard USMLE Audio Reviews
  • 2 FREE USMLE Audio Downloads Per Month
  • Periodic Discount Codes for an Additional 10% to 25% OFF
  • Product Updates and Notifications
  • And More...

Join Today and Start Saving!

Wishing Everybody USMLE Step 1 Success!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Using the NEW - 2011 USMLE Step 1 Total Audio Package - 40% OFF Discussion Forum

1. Feel free to discuss any of the Review Programs found at ApolloAudiobooks.com or 2011 USMLE Step 1 Total Audio Package discussed in this forum thread.

2. Have you used any of the review programs listed on the Apollo site? Leave your feedback! Tell us, other students, and the rest of the world what you thought.

3. RAFFLE: The USMLE Audio raffle prizes are discussed at the top of this thread. Check out these SDN forum threads to learn more about the raffle prizes: The USMLE Step 1 Total Audio Package & The USMLE Step 2 Total Audio Package.

4. At this SDN forum thread you can See the Full Terms and Conditions regarding Email Subscriber Pricing, 2 Free Audio Downloads per month, and other disclaimers.

5. If you would like to make suggestions for "Corrections" or "Useful Additions" to future editions of the Gold Standard USMLE Audio Reviews, please see these SDN threads: Gold Standard Step 1 Corrections and Additions Thread & Gold Standard Step 2 Corrections and Additions Thread.

6. Most of all, Join the Apollo Email List!

At ApolloAudiobooks.com our opt-in email subscribers get some of the best benefits on the web! These include:
  • NEW! 40% OFF USMLE "Total Audio Packages"
  • NEW! 40% OFF USMLEHelp audio as a part of the "Total Audio Packages"
  • 40% OFF Gold Standard USMLE Audio Reviews
  • 2 FREE USMLE Audio Downloads Per Month
  • Periodic Discount Codes for an Additional 10% to 25% OFF
  • Product Updates and Notifications
  • And More...

Are the included questions seperate from the audio or are they embedded within the audio files. Thanks!

Are the included questions seperate from the audio or are they embedded within the audio files. Thanks!

The Questions are a part of the audio.

In order to promote memory retention. Each of the program is in"Question, Pause, Answer" format.

This gives you time to think about the question and test yourself about the answer before it is given.

Wishing you USMLE Success!

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of written materials accompany the audio?

Are all the lectures in a format that can be uploaded to your iPhone?

Yes. All of the USMLE Audio Review files are .mp3 format and can be used on any iPhone, iPod, iPad, MP3 player or computer.

The files must be downloaded to your computer as they are large .zip file.
You then "unzip" the files
Drag them to your iTunes
Then sync your iPod, iPhone, iPad to the computer
Now you're totally mobile!

What kind of written materials accompany the audio?

For the Gold Standard Step 1 Audio there is a 300 page "Reference Manual" in .pdf included with the download.
For the Gold Standard Step 2 Audio and Gold Standard Foundations of Medicine Audio - there is currently no written material. The USMLE Help books are available for purchase separately here.

I recommend you do what I did when I was a medical student:
  • Use the audio along with your rotations/clasees
  • Listen at times when you cannot just "sit" with a book - like at the gym/walking the dog/commuting.
  • Go through the audio more than once to improve retention

Are you working on written material?

Yes. Currently we are working on transcriptions of all of the Gold Standard USMLE Audio reviews to create both a working transcript for future updates, and a reference text that students can use along with the audio. You can learn more and become a transcriber at this thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=801384

Thanks,

ApolloAudiobooks.com

Last edited:
I am receiving free monthly audio lectures from Apollo USMLE. I am planning to purchase Step I and Step II, because it is really helpful to stay tuned. I listen lectures during my commute, aerobic class, long flights and just when I want to change reading to listening. It helps me remember better. I found that information is very useful and helpful. I wish I can win it! Thank you Dr. Justin Anderson and Apolloaudiobooks.

What year was the majority of the step one audio recorded in and do you plan on making any major revisions (complete re-recordings etc) in the future?

Can you speed it up >150%?

Members don't see this ad :)

+1 on this. I am starting medical school in the fall, but am hoping to get better picture of what all goes into Step One early. What seperates Apollo Audiobooks from the other audio review companies? After a quick glance a lot of the aspects seem to be similar between different companies.
Thank you.

Whether in this way will be more relaxed through it..
dot.png
???

The way to "relax" as a premed is to just listen the summer before. Create the "file folders" in your brain as mentioned on this forum thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=802521

Thanks,

Stark

I am receiving free monthly audio lectures from Apollo USMLE. I am planning to purchase Step I and Step II, because it is really helpful to stay tuned. I listen lectures during my commute, aerobic class, long flights and just when I want to change reading to listening. It helps me remember better. I found that information is very useful and helpful. I wish I can win it! Thank you Dr. Justin Anderson and Apolloaudiobooks.

ENT73 - A lot students feel burnt out on reading and it is very liberating to do just what you mentioned - to "change reading to listening."

As a student, I felt a little guilty when I didn't have a book open on my desk, and the Gold Standard USMLE made it possible for me to "study" when I was not sitting at a desk. I can specifically remember when I had to drive 2 hours home and back to see my folks. Driving can be a "mindless waste of time" but with USMLE audio mp3 download - it is useful. You feel like you have really accomplished something when you get home - not like you have just wasted 4 hours.

Thanks,

ApolloAudiobooks.com

This is some totally awesome stuff!!

Here are 2 Medical School Podcast interviews with Apollo Audiobooks:

If you haven't checked our Dr. Dan's interviews - DO IT NOW! THEY ARE FREE.

In the interviews we cover:

• How to use Audio to learn in medical school
  • Picking a learning style that is right for you
  • What is Gold Standard Audio and USMLE Help Audio
  • How can I use audio (Based on my and Dr. Dan's experiences)
  • Where to get Gold Standard and USMLE Help Audio with your monthly subscription
  • Time management Techniques
  • My experiences with Gold Standard USMLE MP3's
  • How I and Dr. Dan used audio to learn in Medical School
  • And Much More...

Download both USMLE Audio Podcasts - THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY FREE.

Thanks,

Stark

ApolloAudiobooks.com

Yes - but it requires one of two things:

1. Work on your computer
2. Follow instructions for creating AAC versions of Audio.

To get the audio >150% if working on your computer:

1. Download "Quicktime Player"
2. Open any audio file you want with the player
3. Select "Window" then "A/V Controls"
4. You can then speed up or slow down the USMLE Audio MP3 to whatever speed you like
The disadvantage is that you are tied to your computer (not on your iPod/iPhone)

To get the audio >150% for your iPod:

Check out this thread where I detail how to change an MP3 to an AAC so you can use variable speed playback on an iPod.

Alternatively - you can take each of the file in audacity and use the "change tempo" function under the "Effect" menu.

The problem that you run into that there are literally thousands of Gold Standard Step 1 audio MP3 review files. That means you would have to change each one. For this reason - ApolloAudiobooks.com had created and included the 150% speed audio of the USMLE MP3 review with each program we sell - to save you, the student, the work. I know because I have been there.

Thanks,

ApolloAudiobooks.com

Stark

+1 on this. I am starting medical school in the fall, but am hoping to get better picture of what all goes into Step One early. What seperates Apollo Audiobooks from the other audio review companies? After a quick glance a lot of the aspects seem to be similar between different companies.
Thank you.

Well, the number one thing that "separates" us from the rest is that you can stop by my house in Lubbock - home of Texas Tech any day.

The truth is, that on every Gold Standard USMLE audio review there is a "disclaimer" or "copyright notice" at the beginning of each set that says "We are a small family business" and that is as true today as it was in 2000. Today the "family" consists of me and my computer, an audio editor, and the original Gold Standard contributor who works on the Gold Standard products. There is no "corporate headquarters." I am a practicing physician in Texas.

Some people ask "Why would you spend so much time on USMLE Audio reviews when you have a busy medical practice?" For the answer, please listen to Dr. Dan's FREE Podcast Gold Standard USMLE.

Why do I believe in USMLE Audio?

First check out all the "Stark" posts since the beginning of time.

Second, Audio USMLE Audio reviews increased my class rank from below the 50% percentile to graduate #7 in my class.

Third, as an ophthalmology resident - I just couldn't believe that nobody, other than Gold Standard, had produced or distributed a decent USMLE review in audio format. When I was a resident - MP3s and iPods became the norm and I realized there was no reason not have your USMLE material on an iPod. Today those same USMLE MP3s - with the 2011 updates and additions can work on your mp3 player, iPod, iPhone, iPad, or computer - Amazing.

Basically, I took up the torch on creating and distributing great USMLE reviews because no one else would do it.

Again, check out the podcast here "FREE Podcast Gold Standard USMLE"

The Other BIG Difference is Price!

Check out all the USMLE resources available on the web today and compare their price to the Apollo USMLE Total Audio Packages.

What do you think about the PRICE and VALUE (dollars per hour) of these products vs. Apollo's products here:

First Aid USMLE Step 1 Online?
Comprehensive Online Reviews
Or Q-Bank Subscriptions.

Basically Apollo can offer you USMLE Audio reviews at a couple of dollars an hour VS $33 or $55 per hour - that is the difference.

Thanks,

ApolloAudiobooks.com

Stark

Other than listening to the audio while in the car or other times when you really can't have a book in front of you, do students find it worthwhile to have the audio? I think I'm just so used to reading (review) books and lecture notes, and I rarely drive. However, I do like that there are questions built into the audio lectures - I would find that very appealing.

Hi there:

For the Step 1 Total Package, what is the format of the lectures? More specifically, are the questions "sprinkled" throughout the lecture or at the end of the topic?

Also, what are the average lengths of each lecture? (I'm trying to imagine how I would approach using an audio file time-wise and incorporate it into study/free time.) For certain sub-topics that might be more involved/cover more information, are they broken down into multiple lecture parts?

Thanks for your info,
7o9

That audio for the three steps was awesome. Thank you apollo audio! It does really help me for my preparation for the Indian MCI(FMGE) exam. Thank you. I'd request you if you could also prepare some material for Indian PG exams and MCI(FMGE) Exam too.

That audio for the three steps was awesome. Thank you apollo audio! It does really help me for my preparation for the Indian MCI(FMGE) exam. Thank you. I'd like to ask you if you also are planning to prepare some material for Indian PG exams and MCI(FMGE) Exam too?

Does it work with an android phone?

Yes - Apollo's Total Audio Package will work on android phones

At Apollo all of out audio products released in the USMLE Step 1 Total Audio Package are in mp3 format. That means that you can use Apollo's USMLE Step 1 Total Audio Package (or any of our other USMLE reviews) on any device that can play an MP3. So the all of the USMLE Audio MP3 Reviews Listed Here will work on your

• Android Phone
  • iPhone
  • Home or Laptop Computer
  • iPad
  • Mac Computers
  • iPod
  • Any other type of MP3 player (Sony, Toshiba, Whatever)
  • Virtually any mobile device

Thanks,

ApolloAudiobooks.com

Apollo USMLE

Hi there:

For the Step 1 Total Package, what is the format of the lectures? More specifically, are the questions "sprinkled" throughout the lecture or at the end of the topic?

Also, what are the average lengths of each lecture? (I'm trying to imagine how I would approach using an audio file time-wise and incorporate it into study/free time.) For certain sub-topics that might be more involved/cover more information, are they broken down into multiple lecture parts?

Thanks for your info,
7o9

What is the format of USMLE Step 1 Total Audio Package USMLE Review?

7o9 - Great question. These audio files are not "lectures" in the sense that they are not just a person standing in front of a class reading a book or slides to you. The whole program is "Q & A Audio" to maximize retention and interaction with the USMLE Audio program.

The Entire USMLE Review is Q&A Format

Both, the Gold Standard USMLE Audio Reviews and the USMLEHelp Step 1 Audio Reviews are in Q & A format the entire program. It works like this:

For Gold Standard Audio Reviews -
  • This is an interactive learning program to maximize retention
  • The speaker asks a question
  • There is a pause for you to think about the answer and answer in your head.
  • Then the speaker gives you the correct answer
  • At the end of each section the speaker usually summarizes all the points just covered

For USMLE Help USMLE Audio MP3 Reviews -

• The format is the same type (Q & A) but there is no summary at the end of each section

How Do I Incorporate USMLE Audio Files Time-Wise into my Busy Schedule

I recommend you do what I did as a medical student - which is to fill your mental "down time" with USMLE Audio. That is to say, be sure to listen to your USMLE Audio Reviews when:

• Commuting (for some this in an extra hour or two of study time per day)
  • Mowing the yard (an hour or two a week)
  • Walking the dog (this was an extra 7 hours a week of study time for me)
  • At the gym (another extra 5-7 hours of study time per week)
  • Traveling home to see the folks (an extra 4 to 10 hours of study time per trip)
  • If you can't sleep - pop on your iPod and study a little while you drift off (note you can't learn while actually sleeping - it doesn't work - I tried it)
  • If you are an extremist like me - at the beach and while snow-skiing (I've done it)

In addition, when it comes crunch time approaches an you are really cramming for the USMLE

• Set aside some study time each day to sit in a quiet place
  • Pop on your USMLE MP3 Reviews for Step 1
  • Listen intensively as you go through all the material
  • Take notes on hard to remember or understand points as you go
  • Go through the audio multiple times

Tips on Using USMLE Audio Review MP3s

1. Calculate the total number hours of the program
2. Make a schedule to cover the program the desired number of times in that time frame
3. Stick to your schedule - do not deviate
4. Some recommend deleting files from your library once you have learned them.

For More Info About Using USMLE Audio Reviews in Medical School and For the Step 1 See These Free Resources:

Thanks,

ApolloAudiobooks.com

ApolloUSMLE

Other than listening to the audio while in the car or other times when you really can't have a book in front of you, do students find it worthwhile to have the audio? I think I'm just so used to reading (review) books and lecture notes, and I rarely drive. However, I do like that there are questions built into the audio lectures - I would find that very appealing.

CielloStelatto

See post: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=10690359#post10690359 for recommendations of how to use the audio in your down time and how set aside some time for USMLE Audio Reviews.

When you want a break from "books"

One thing not mentioned before is that when you wan t break from books, you can pop on your USMLE Audio MP3 Reviews and rest your eyes while still engaging you brain.

Thanks,

ApolloAudiobooks.com

ApolloUSMLE

Approxiamtely how much time in advance from your exam do you recommend starting your program? In your opinion what makes your program better compared to the others? What is your pass rate? Thanks!

Approxiamtely how much time in advance from your exam do you recommend starting your program? In your opinion what makes your program better compared to the others? What is your pass rate? Thanks!

When to start using the USMLE Step 1 Audio programs?

I recommend you start the summer before med school in your "spare time" as a way to simply FAMILIARIZE yourself with the material you will be covering in medical school. You can read more about Using Your Medical Review Audio Programs the Summer before med school starts HERE.

But, if you are already in school, I recommend you start using Audio USMLE Reviews with your classes and clerkships. If you are taking anatomy - use the anatomy sections et cetera. You can learn more about My Personal Experiences Using USMLE Audio HERE.

What about cramming for the USMLE with USMLE Audio?

Begin with the audio as soon as you can - in your classes. However, you should make a concerted effort to go through all of the audio several times (3 time to be exact) before the exam. That is what I did as a student.

So When Should I Begin Using the USMLE Audio Files?

Make a study schedule. Determine how many hours per day you will devote to usmle audio vs. q-banks vs. books. Take the length of the USMLE Step 1 Total Audio Package in hours and divide it up by how many hours per day you spend studying USMLE Audio. You can then determine how many days, weeks, or months you need to start in advance. It is a very personalized way to make your own USMLE Audio Studying schedule.

What Makes Apollo's USMLE Audio Reviews "Better" Than Other Programs?

In my opinion, it's not so much a question of "BETTER" as it is an issue of "DIFFERENT". These are some of key points make Apollo's USMLE Audio Reviews truly different from others:

• Apollo's USMLE MP3 Reviews are totally portable.
Put them on your iPod or iPhone or MP3 player and you can take them anywhere. Compare this to other review programs out there today. There are a lot of review programs that are online - and are excellent - but at 3G speed you can't stream them. The First Aid for the USMLE Online Audio-Video On Demand USMLE Review HERE is an exceptional program, but you have to be sitting at a computer with high-speed internet to stream the review. Also the Online Review Course for the USMLE Step 1 HERE is an excellent program. Once again, however, you must have high speed internet. The USMLE Step 1 Total Audio Package is completely portable and goes anywhere you go.

• Apollo's USMLE Reviews are in an Interactive Question-Pause-Answer Format

At Apollo, both our Gold Standard USMLE Audio Reviews and USMLEHelp USMLE Audio Reviews are in a Question-Pause-Answer format that keeps your brain engaged. Rather than a lecture where someone is simply "talking at you" and not engaging you, Apollo's USMLE Audio Reviews encourage to actually think and proactively test yourself while listening to the audio programs. Additionally, the Gold Standard USMLE reviews typically have a "Summary" section at the end of the subject just covered in the USMLE audio that will reinforce key points for maximum information retention.

What is your pass rate? Thanks!

Since Apollo has taken over distribution of Gold Standard Audio reviews and published the USMLEHelp USMLE Audio Reviews, we have never taken a survey of pass rates of students who have used the programs. So, I don't have an answer to this one.

Thanks,

ApolloAudiobooks.com

ApolloUSMLE

Last edited:
So do you think that it is more valuable as a second year to own a Step 1 audiobook and "cram" through the summer, or a Step 2 one and use it as a companion to clerkships?

Also, how extensive are the explanations of the answers?

Excellent Program

Based on the sections that I've transcribed, the topic is usually introduced in a few short sentences before the question-answer section begins. Then a well-defined question is stated, followed by a short pause before the answer is revealed. At the end, the key questions are usually reviewed in a large overview type of question before ending the section.

Summer Before Medical School

I've really enjoyed transcribing parts of the USMLE Gold Standard Step 1 audio program before I start medical school this fall. Understanding the general level of detail in the questions has helped me to gauge the extent that I will have to understand the material for the USMLE before I learn the material in medical school. I believe that this will help prevent me from getting bogged down in the details in medical school while still maintaining a strong grasp on the material. Furthermore, I will have a general framework to build upon in medical school.

:thumbup:

Again, I highly recommend this program as a preview of the USMLE concepts before starting medical school and as a great supplement to textbooks and classroom work. I have found that the more senses involved, the more lasting and effective the learning experience.

What is the basis for your foundations of medicine module and why is it relevant for my step 1 studies?

So do you think that it is more valuable as a second year to own a Step 1 audiobook and "cram" through the summer, or a Step 2 one and use it as a companion to clerkships?

Well. I think what you are getting at is this. You don't yet own the Gold Standard USMLE Step 1 audio. You now have 3 months to to study for your USMLE Step 1 this summer. So should you get the Step 1 USMLE Review for this summer or just wait and get the Step 2 review to start with your clerkships?

I would get the Step 1 Audio Package and go from there. If nothing else, you will have a lot of time that is "wasted" in the next few months commuting, walking the dog, at the gym, traveling, gardening or mowing the yard, sweeping or doing housework, going home to see your parents, and those hours when you lay in bed, trying to sleep but your mind just won't turn off. I recommend you get the Step 1 USMLE Audio program to fill all those "wasted" hours and turn your down time into study time.

Second, although you only have until the summer to study - there is still plenty of time to go through Apollo's USMLE Step 1 Total Audio Package MP3 several times.
  • Let's say the Step 1 Audio is 130 hours and you listen to the "150% Speed" and can cover the entire program in 86 hours.
  • Let's say you study 10 hours per day while in "Cram Mode"
  • You can get through the entire program once in 8.6 days.
  • Twice in 17 days (or a little over 2 weeks) - et cetera on and on.
  • Faster if you do not use the Anatomy and Biochemistry as extensively as you would for your class exams.

If you have 3 months, or 90 days, until the USMLE Step 1. I would get the Gold Standard Step 1 2011 Audio Review - at a minimum (to fill your down time). I would get the USMLE Step 1 Total Audio Package - if you were really going to devote a lot of time to the audio learning technique.

At any rate: You still need to use First Aid and a Q-bank of some sort and some short books to fill in the "gaps" in your knowledge based on Q-bank testing results. Here is a List of Books I Used with Gold Standard Audio as a Medical Student.

Also, how extensive are the explanations of the answers?

Basically, the answers are extensive. That is to say - if you took the Gold Standard Step 1 audio or the Gold Standard Foundations of Medicine Audio and put them into a written transcript - each transcript would be about 800 to 1000 pages in length.

If you want to test out Apollo's USMLE Audio reviews and get an idea of how extensive the explanations are - simply sign up as an Apollo Email Subscriber and Receive 2 FREE USMLE Audio Downloads Per Month Here.

Wishing Everybody USMLE Step 1 Success!

http://www.apolloaudiobooks.com

Stark

What is the basis for your foundations of medicine module and why is it relevant for my step 1 studies?

Man justaregularmed - this is a great question and one that we have struggled with. To get the a great answer about using Gold Standard Foundations of Medicine USMLE Audio for USMLE Step 1 Review - please see this forum on the subject: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=801350

Basically, when Gold Standard was very first putting together their information for the first Medical Board Review Audio Programs, the though was this:

• Student Studying for USMLE Step 1-COMLEX Level 1 would need Gold Standard Step 1
  • Student Studying for USMLE Step 2-COMLEX Level 2 would need Gold Standard Step 2
  • Then ALL Students would need Gold Standard Foundations of Medicine Audio

Basically the Foundations of Medicine program was intended to give the student a way to think about approaching patients and clinical problems based on symptoms, differential diagnoses, etc... I a way, the Foundations of Medicine Audio program is similar to a clinical vignettes audio review based on patient presentations and symptoms. This is very useful for the USMLE Step 1 because so much of the Medical Boards are now focused on "Case Vignettes" or "Clinical Vignettes" instead of keywords and buzzwords 10 or more years ago.

Sorry, I had to see some patients, now back to my answer...

For example, the "Gowth ******ation" sets deal with everything from Intrauterine Growth ******ation to Pituitary Dwarfism to Genetic Short Stature to Turner's Syndrome. So the Foundations of Medicine Audio takes the clinical sign of "Growth ******ation" and expands that to all of the potential causes of that clinical sign. NOTE: the Growth ******ation set is included with the Gold Standard 2011 Audio Edition as some of the bonus sets.

Another example, is the "Renal Failure" and "Urinalysis (aka renal pathophysiology)" sets. In the Gold Standard Step 1 of the Boards program there is not a section on Renal Pathology. This is because the original producers of the program assumed everyone who bought the Step 1 Audio would also buy the Foundations of Medicine audio to round out their learning experience. Unfortunately, this has not been the case. In fact, only 12% of all students who get a Gold Standard USMLE audio review actually get the Foundations of Medicine Gold Standard USMLE Audio Program.

This is important because the "Renal Failure" and "Urinalysis (aka renal pathophysiology)" set cover everything from Intrinsic Renal Failure, to Renal Tubular Acidosis, to Oliguria and Anuria, to Casts, to Proteinuria. Important stuff normally covered in Pathology. NOTE: the both of these sets are included with the Gold Standard 2011 Audio Edition as some of the bonus sets.

So We Included Foundations of Medicine Audio...

In order to make our offered programs as comprehensive as possible, Apollo has included Foundations of Medicine USMLE Audio Material in our two new products - so you don't miss the important Step 1 Stuff in the Foundations Program! You can get Foundations of Medicine USMLE Audio Material in 3 ways:

• 2. We have included the ENTIRE Foundations of Medicine Audio Program in the USMLE Step 1 Total Audio Package 20% OFF. Both Gold Standard Step 1 and Foundations of medicine were intended to be used together - so this package is to make sure that all of the material is used together.

But What About Foundations of Medicine and the USMLE Step 2?

The whole idea with Gold Standard Step 1, Step 2, and Foundations of Medicine - is that they do not repeat material. Thus you use Foundations of Medicine to cover material not covered in Gold Standard Step 1 Audio. You do exactly the same for Foundations of Medicine with Gold Standard Step 2 Audio. Foundations covers material that is not covered in the Step 1 or Step 2 Gold Standard Audio programs.

Thanks,

http://www.boardprep.net

Stark

Last edited:
Excellent Program

Based on the sections that I've transcribed, the topic is usually introduced in a few short sentences before the question-answer section begins. Then a well-defined question is stated, followed by a short pause before the answer is revealed. At the end, the key questions are usually reviewed in a large overview type of question before ending the section.

Summer Before Medical School

I've really enjoyed transcribing parts of the USMLE Gold Standard Step 1 audio program before I start medical school this fall. Understanding the general level of detail in the questions has helped me to gauge the extent that I will have to understand the material for the USMLE before I learn the material in medical school. I believe that this will help prevent me from getting bogged down in the details in medical school while still maintaining a strong grasp on the material. Furthermore, I will have a general framework to build upon in medical school.

:thumbup:

Again, I highly recommend this program as a preview of the USMLE concepts before starting medical school and as a great supplement to textbooks and classroom work. I have found that the more senses involved, the more lasting and effective the learning experience.

Thanks Meissner Effect -

You can find a good discussion of how to use Apollo's USMLE Audio the summer before med school begins here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=802521

Wishing Everybody USMLE Success!

Stark

Most media players allow you to speed it up to double speed in their A/V control panel.

This specific Audio Material has each track individually AS WELL AS all tracks combined as a fast track 150%. There are mp3s that are normal, and mp3s that are 150% speed. It's really convenient to access normal mp3s to study with, and the 150% speed to review with!

If you can listen to anyone talk double speed and understand it, props to you!! I actually listen to it SLOWER than normal speed to make sure I can take notes, internalize the material, and it gives me a little more time to try to answer the question before the lecture does.

Anything above 150% is a little too quick to get much out of, but that's my personal opinion.

I read above description, but How would you propose integrating Foundations into a study method? Would you just study according to system? Is Foundations broken down by systems? Chief complaints? Is it more of a general overview of common disorders? In preparing for step I, how is Foundations going to help me?

My entire undergraduate career was all powerpoints, reviewing and regurgitating.

The interesting/unique/important part of Board Exams NOW is you can't just spit back information that was written in a review book. You HAVE to synthesize information, put pieces together, integrate different subjects in order to come to an answer.

My opinion is just reading, taking notes, and looking at power points isn't going to cut it. You have to be an ACTIVE learner. Listening to audio is just another way to become an ACTIVE learner.

I don't drive much either, but since I've had Gold Standard Step I, I've still noticed plenty of 'down time' that I've been able to incorporate some material even just 10 minutes at a time. It's actually been really good for me because whenever I go on a walk or have a small break, I want to make sure I internalize whatever I was listening to, so I try to re-synthesize that small piece of information when I'm done with my 'break' to further internalize that information.

I can promise you, there's a little more down time in everyone's life that we don't realize (during dinner, getting up 15 minutes earlier, walking to the mailbox, going grocery shopping, etc.; there's time out there that could be used to review even small pieces of information!).

I read above description, but How would you propose integrating Foundations into a study method? Would you just study according to system? Is Foundations broken down by systems? Chief complaints? Is it more of a general overview of common disorders? In preparing for step I, how is Foundations going to help me?

Number 1 - Gold Standard Foundations USMLE Audio will cover material that is not covered in the Step 1 Gold Standard Audio. That will help you.

Number 2 - Gold Standard Foundations USMLE Audio is set up based on a clinical sign or symptom. Here are the details:

Gold Standard Foundations of Medicine USMLE Audio Review Contents

• WBC (2 sets)
  • RBC (2 sets)
  • K+ (2 sets)
  • Fever of unknown origin (1 set)
  • Urinalysis (8 sets)
  • Sexual Manifestations of Disease (2 sets)
  • Growth ******ation (3 sets)
  • Anorexia (2 sets)
  • Temperature & Hyper/hypothermia (1 set)
  • Pain (2 sets)
  • Shock (1 set)
  • Distention (1 sets)
  • Cough and Hemoptysis (1 set)
  • Pulmonary Edema (1 set)
  • Dyspnea (1 set)
  • Hypoxia and Cyanosis (1 set)
  • Muscular Manifestations of Disease (3 sets)
  • Na+ (2 sets)
  • Renal Failure (3 sets)
  • Hypothyroidism (3 sets)
  • Photosensitivity (2 sets)
  • Summaries (4 sets)

So basically, the foundations of medicine program looks at a sign or complaint and lays out many of the causes of that complaint. So if your patient complains of Anorexia or Dyspnea or Cough - Gold Standard Foundations of Medicine Audio USMLE Review goes through the differential of what may be causing the symptom or sign - presents the causes and evaluation - and discusses some of the pathophysiology and treatment.

For the sections on WBC or UA or Renal Failure these lab abnormalities are the finding and then the program proceeds with causes and evaluation - and discusses some of the pathophysiology and treatment as above.

Wishing You All USMLE Success with USMLE Audio from Apollo!

ApolloUSMLE

Thanks for the quick reply!

I did a little more research on apolloaudiobooks.com and found the 'table of contents' for the Foundations Audio Set. It looks very valuable.

Foundations Audio is exactly what I need to better integrate my basic science knowledge with a clinical setting. There may be some overlap, but it's put in a different context which can only help retention and recall.

Thanks again

Do you have any stats for how students have done after using the step 1 total audio package?

Thanks for the quick reply!

I did a little more research on apolloaudiobooks.com and found the 'table of contents' for the Foundations Audio Set. It looks very valuable.

Foundations Audio is exactly what I need to better integrate my basic science knowledge with a clinical setting. There may be some overlap, but it's put in a different context which can only help retention and recall.

Thanks again

You can find the track listings/table of contents for all Gold Standard USMLE Audio Programs Here (not 2011 updated list yet)

This is the bottom of the Gold Standard USMLE Audio Medical Student Transcription Project Page. NOTE: we are still updating the website with the new track listings and tables of contents for the updated Gold Standard 2011 Audio USMLE Reviews - so the files located at the link above do not yet reflect the new audio that has been added to the programs. This will be updated as soon as possible as we go through the entire site updating all files, listings, and attached documents. The Foundations USMLE Audio track listing is up to date as the program did not change for 2011.

Wishing You All USMLE Success!

http://apolloaudiobooks.com/index.php

Stark

Do you have any stats for how students have done after using the step 1 total audio package?

peanut11 - The USMLE Step 1 Total Audio Package was just launched and released to the public on March 7, 2011 so we have not such statistics to share.

That being said, using the Step 1 Total Audio Package is not a "magic bullet" that guarantees a student will pass the USMLE Step 1, and Apollo would not make such a claim. Using audio (or some sort of structured-time based review) is great for a lot of students who might get stuck trying to memorize the first chapters of First Aid for the USMLE Step 1.

If you are an audio learner - then something like the USMLE Step 1 Audio Package will be right up your alley. If you are not an audio learner - then an audio program would be a total disaster as a study strategy regardless of a company's published pass statistics.

When I was studying for the USMLE Step 1, personally, I used Gold Standard USMLE Step 1 Audio, First Aid for the USMLE, Step-Up to the USMLE Step 1, and Underground Clinical Vignettes as my main resources with some Questions thrown it. That was a good formula for success for me, but not a statistically significant sample.

So What Should I Do? Should I Buy the USMLE Step 1 Total Audio Package or What?

peanut11- If you're still asking this question, I suggest you do one of two things.

You don't have to buy anything or do anything. Just download the audio and listen. If you find them helpful, you can purchase them. If you don't, nothing lost.
This is less expensive than the Total Audio Package, Contains most of the USMLE Step 1 Material from Foundations of Medicine, has a 300 page reference manual PDF, and you can always go back and purchase the Foundations of Medicine at 40% OFF as an email subscriber and the USMLEHelp Step 1 Material at 20% OFF.

Wishing You USMLE Success!

http://apolloaudiobooks.com/index.php

Stark

This is a great idea! How long has this been in the works?

This is a great idea! How long has this been in the works?

derArzt - here is the brief history of the updates of Gold Standard USMLE 2011 Edition and the creation of the USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 Total Audio Packages.

In the Beginning...

The first Gold Standard USMLE Audio reviews were produced in 1999 and sold as actual audio cassette tapes. Later they switched to CDs and were distributed that way. The program content for Gold Standard Step 1, Step 2, and Foundations of Medicine was periodically updated.

As a medical student, I personally used the Gold Standard USMLE Step 1 Audio Review and found it to be an excellent resource!

In 2010 the company that originally produced and distributed the Gold Standard USMLE reviews was no longer shipping CDs due to the burden of making and packaging 55 to 65 CDs. At that point Apollo Audiobooks, LLC contacted Gold Standard and, through an exclusive licensing arrangement, Apollo took over the distribution and updating of the programs.

Updates to the Gold Standard Audio programs made in 2010

Were mainly in "format." That is to say, any unnamed tracks were named, the audio was converted into fully digital MP3 format, the audio was made available as a download, and 150% "FAST" speed versions of every section of the audio were created for "quick review."

Updates to the Gold Standard Audio programs made in 2011

Are mainly additions of "content." For example, as a student I noticed that some areas of pathology were missing from the Gold Standard Audio review. For me, that worked out fine because I always used Gold Standard USMLE Audio Reviews with other resources such as First Aid, Step-Up and Underground Clinical Vignettes.

In order to fill in some of those gaps in content, we started working in late 2010 to produce new audio that would cover new USMLE material not in the previous edition of the program. At the same time, The Gold Standard Step 1 Audio was Always intended to be used with the Gold Standard Foundations of Medicine.

What About the USMLE Step 1 Total Audio Package?

Until recently, email subscribers could get 40% OFF all Gold Standard USMLE Audio Reviews - however, they could not get the same discount on USMLE Help Step Titles. The USMLE Step 1 Total Audio Package and USMLE Step 2 Total Audio Package were designed to extend that 40% OFF email subscriber pricing to Step 1 and Step 2 USMLEHelp titles - along with Gold Standard Step 1, Step 2 and Foundations audio reviews.

Secondly, The Gold Standard USMLE Audio Review "Foundations of Medicine" was supposed to used with both the Gold Standard Step 1 and Step 2 programs. By including it in the package, the original intent of the publishers can be met - and students can have access to the most-comprehensive set of USMLE Audio materials available on the web (to the best of my knowledge).

Thus, the 2011 updates were conceived in 2010 and recordings began late in 2010 and continued into 2011. So the content is very fresh. The Step 1 and Step 2 Total Audio packages were conceived in 2010 and put together in 2011 as a way in improve the breadth of the programs and provide a significant discount to customers.

What is the Next Step for Apollo's USMLE Audio Reviews?

At present, Apollo Audiobooks, LLC is working overtime to make our USMLE audio reviews, become more and more USMLE relevant, more and more high-yield, and have up-to-date content. Working toward this goal we currently have the following projects underway:

Currently Apollo is offering a FREE Gold Standard 2011 Audio Review to any medical student who will transcribe 3 sets (approx 3 hours) of the Gold Standard USMLE audio programs into written form. From these transcripts we plan to both produce a working text that medical students can use along with the Gold Standard Audio - and use the transcriptions as a written script from which to update any section of the audio that are dated, low-yield, need corrections
At Apollo, we are currently taking all of your suggestions for corrections and additions to the Gold Standard USMLE Audio Reviews very seriously. The idea here is make sure that we update our programs with relevant information that is provided by student feedback (in much the same way that First Aid for the USMLE is based on student feedback as a "student to student guide"). So feel free to post any constructive feedback on the Gold Standard Corrections and additions threads above - and we will use all of your feedback to create the updated versions of our new programs.
Finally, at Apollo we are constantly looking for new, USMLE-relevant content to add to our programs. If you have a suggestion for new content, simply visit our Contact Us page and send an email. We are listening to you.

Wishing Everyone USMLE Success!

ApolloUSMLE

Last edited:
This Forum is Closed after March 18, 2011. Please use these helpful links after this date to find:

USMLE AUDIO MP3 Reviews Here ----- http://www.apolloaudiobooks.com/page.php?id=75

FIRST AID for the USMLE Audio-Video Online Here ----- http://apolloaudiobooks.com/tasdn.php?p=First-Aid-USMLE-Audio-Video

USMLE iPhone Apps, MP3s, and Online Reviews Here ----- http://apolloaudiobooks.com/page.php?id=242

Best Books for USMLE Review Here ----- http://www.apolloaudiobook.com/page.php?id=33

ONLINE USMLE Reviews Here ----- http://www.appolloaudiobooks.com/tasdn.php?p=First-Aid-USMLE-Audio-Video-Sample

LIVE USMLE Review Courses Here ----- http://www.appoloaudiobooks.com/tasdn.php?p=Live-USMLE-Step-1-Board-Review

FREE PODCASTS for USMLE and Med Students Here ----- http://www.apolloaudiobooks.com/page.php?id=210#Free-USMLE-Audio-Podcasts

FREE About Gold Standard and USMLEHelp Audio Podcast Here ----- http://medical-mastermind-community.com/blog/gold-standard-usmle-step-1-samples

FREE Time Management, Study Techniques, & Using Audio Podcast Here ----- http://medical-mastermind-community.com/podcast/top-5-time-management-tips

2 FREE USMLE Audio Downloads per Month Here -----http://www.apolloaudiobooks.com/page.php?id=210

40% OFF Gold Standard and Total Audio Packages Here -----http://apolloaudiobooks.com/page.php?id=27

Last edited:
I won the 2011 edition from an SDN giveaway a couple years back. It was shipped to me on 2 CDs. Is this still the most up to date version and is there an errata list somewhere (not saying there any errors, just wondering)?