Neuropsych Journals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmiah717

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have access through the VA to professional literature but I'm having some trouble finding neuropsych articles. I'd like to get better acquainted with the literature. What database should I be using? We don't seem to have a Neurology database and I'm not turning up much on the psych databases.

Members don't see this ad.

I use google scholar to find articles, and then look for the specific journals in the VA database, or otherwise use my professional memberships (AACN, INS) for access to certain journals.

Thanks, I found some interesting stuff on there. Embarrassingly, back when I did research Google Scholar didn't exist so I didn't even think of it...o_O

I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to narrow my interests and/or relate my PTSD research/practice to my desire to learn/research/practice Neuro. I'm thinking I may need to try to get in with a local neuro lab on top of the PTSD/relationship study I'm working on as I am not sure I'll be a very attractive candidate for the folks that do more pure Neuro.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pubmed will also work. Full text should be available for many of the federally funded studies (via PMC - look for a link in the upper right) regardless of whether you have institutional access or not. Though compliance with this is horrendous (rightfully so in my eyes), so don't expect everything to be there.

Caveat: If you haven't completed formal fellowship training, you'll probably want to refrain from practicing neuropsych. Learning and, to an extent, research are of course possibilities. Especially if you're able to do so in conjunction with an existing neuro lab.

My process is pretty much identical to WisNeuro. I search via Google Scholar and then see if the journal is available via the VA's electronic library or my professional memberships. Research Gate also sometimes has full-print articles. And as Ollie mentioned, you may be able to find lots of full-print via Google Scholar itself, depending on funding source.

Oh yeah, not looking to practice. Looking to research and use the experience to make me more marketable to neuro labs when I apply in 2018. I'm a practicing LCSW but I stay in my lane. One of My future goals is to practice neuro....in probably 10years

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

And also just want to be familiar with research trends and literature.

Oh yeah, not looking to practice. Looking to research and use the experience to make me more marketable to neuro labs when I apply in 2018. I'm a practicing LCSW but I stay in my lane. One of My future goals is to practice neuro....in probably 10years

Ah, my mistake, faulty assumption on my part.

Having research experience in a neuro lab would most definitely make you more marketable for doctoral programs in neuropsych. There's a good bit of research going on with PTSD and various neuropsychological/neuroscientific topics. Lit searching for those two terms alone should give you tons of hits, with exponentially more if you add in TBI and/or substance abuse.

Reactions: 1 user
Ah, my mistake, faulty assumption on my part.

Having research experience in a neuro lab would most definitely make you more marketable for doctoral programs in neuropsych. There's a good bit of research going on with PTSD and various neuropsychological/neuroscientific topics. Lit searching for those two terms alone should give you tons of hits, with exponentially more if you add in TBI and/or substance abuse.

No worries at all. My tired brain didn't really explain that too well. I really appreciate the feedback. I'll look into those searches specifically.

You can also find articles on researchgate.

Reactions: 1 user