Neurology residency chances as DO student? Also common conditions and lifestyle for neurologists??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

license43

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Current DO medical student here. I really have an interest in neurology and I am wondering how difficult it is for a DO student to get into a decent neurology residency?
Like do I have to do anything out of the ordinary?

Also how is the work for neurologists? I know they commonly treat stuff like CVAs, complex headaches, Parkinsons, MS, etc, but anything else specifically?

Also how is the salary, demand, work life like for neurologists? Just curious! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Glad you are interested! Neurology is an awesome field with a lot of flexibility and variability in practice options. There are several recent threads covering the exact same questions that you raised above. I would start by scrolling down and going through interesting threads and then develop some more specific questions.

There was a thread a while ago discussing DOs and obtaining neurology residency--no, it's not hard outside of the elite schools :)

Pay is variable with practice set up but can be very generous if that is your main priority.

I would encourage you to look at a list of fellowships available to neurologists for a better idea of different pathologies treated!

Hi all! Current DO medical student here. I really have an interest in neurology and I am wondering how difficult it is for a DO student to get into a decent neurology residency?
Like do I have to do anything out of the ordinary?

Also how is the work for neurologists? I know they commonly treat stuff like CVAs, complex headaches, Parkinsons, MS, etc, but anything else specifically?

Also how is the salary, demand, work life like for neurologists? Just curious! Thanks.

Current DO in an MD neurology residency program. Not difficult if you check off the right boxes. Overall, neurology is relatively DO friendly. What year are you? Take the USLME. Also, make sure you do away rotations early in your 4th year and get LORs from attendings at reputable academic institutions. Otherwise, if you don't have any red flags, you should be good to go.

Work depends on which sub-specialty you choose and what setting you practice in (i.e. academic vs community). From what I've seen, most neurologist do some form of general neurology with an emphasis on what sub-specialty you choose.

As far as salary/demand/work-life goes, I'll let someone more experienced comment in more detail. However, from what I've seen, it really depends on the part of the country, what sub-specialty you choose, and academic vs community. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it does seem like neurologists, in general, are in demand pretty much every where, and there seems to be a good amount of 8-5 clinic jobs offers if that's your thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Current DO in an MD neurology residency program. Not difficult if you check off the right boxes. Overall, neurology is relatively DO friendly. What year are you? Take the USLME. Also, make sure you do away rotations early in your 4th year and get LORs from attendings at reputable academic institutions. Otherwise, if you don't have any red flags, you should be good to go.

Work depends on which sub-specialty you choose and what setting you practice in (i.e. academic vs community). From what I've seen, most neurologist do some form of general neurology with an emphasis on what sub-specialty you choose.

As far as salary/demand/work-life goes, I'll let someone more experienced comment in more detail. However, from what I've seen, it really depends on the part of the country, what sub-specialty you choose, and academic vs community. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it does seem like neurologists, in general, are in demand pretty much every where, and there seems to be a good amount of 8-5 clinic jobs offers if that's your thing.
With regards to elective rotations, if your school doesn't have neurology clerkship, how would you go about preparing for and trying to get a decent letter of reference through an elective?

With regards to elective rotations, if your school doesn't have neurology clerkship, how would you go about preparing for and trying to get a decent letter of reference through an elective?

Look for and contact programs you are interested in EARLY, and try to fit them into your 4th year schedule as soon as you can. Aligning your 4th year schedule with the given away rotation dates at each program is a pain, and the earlier you have it set up, the easier it is. Doing them at the beginning of 4th year (July, August, maybe September) is a must, because it will give the LOR writers enough time to finish the letters and have them submitted before ERAS applications are reviewed. I'd stick to academic programs. Ask for the requirements (i.e. immunizations, finger prints, sometimes personal statements). There's a bunch of logistical details to sort out before you can rotate there. Most are through VSAS, but some are not. Once there, shine. Programs aren't necessarily looking for someone who's a neuro genius, though it is a plus. I'd say the biggest qualities programs are looking at during an away rotation are presentation skills (which you should have honed from IM), willingness to improve, and, most importantly, how well you "click" with or develop rapport with everyone there - from the residents, attending, patients, staff etc. Make sure you ask the attending if (s)he can write a GOOD LOR before (s)he gets off service and follow up with them regarding the LOR after the rotation is finished.

Reactions: 1 user
Look for and contact programs you are interested in EARLY, and try to fit them into your 4th year schedule as soon as you can. Aligning your 4th year schedule with the given away rotation dates at each program is a pain, and the earlier you have it set up, the easier it is. Doing them at the beginning of 4th year (July, August, maybe September) is a must, because it will give the LOR writers enough time to finish the letters and have them submitted before ERAS applications are reviewed. I'd stick to academic programs. Ask for the requirements (i.e. immunizations, finger prints, sometimes personal statements). There's a bunch of logistical details to sort out before you can rotate there. Most are through VSAS, but some are not. Once there, shine. Programs aren't necessarily looking for someone who's a neuro genius, though it is a plus. I'd say the biggest qualities programs are looking at during an away rotation are presentation skills (which you should have honed from IM), willingness to improve, and, most importantly, how well you "click" with or develop rapport with everyone there - from the residents, attending, patients, staff etc. Make sure you ask the attending if (s)he can write a GOOD LOR before (s)he gets off service and follow up with them regarding the LOR after the rotation is finished.
Thank you! I will make sure to keep this in mind when I schedule my electives next year.

Thanks a lot all! that was helpful...
if anyone still here.. can anyone compare PMR to neuro?