Neurology Low Satisfaction and Burnout

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

numbersloth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is neurology one of the least satisfied specialties? Why is the burnout rate so high?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Neurology is similar to practicing internal medicine ( General internal medicine satisfaction is 25% per medscape). You deal with a lot of sick patients and it can be high stress, particularly in the inpatient world. You really need to enjoy taking care of people, there's not that much fancy neuroscience to learn. If you really like doing neuro exams and love neuroimaging, it can be worth it; it won't be an easy residency, but lifestyle can be better after residency.

Reactions: 1 users
Would something like behavioral neurology be more aimed at neuroscience ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Would something like behavioral neurology be more aimed at neuroscience ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

From my understanding, behavioral neurology is much more similar to developmental psychology than neuroscience (you tend to work with a lot of clinical psychologists). Someone with more knowledge probably could give you a more full-fledged answer.

I'm close friends with a neurologist at Kaiser and she regrets going into it sadly. Said wished she had picked another specialty and said it's only worth it if you're fellowship trained. Apparently too much stress, she sees 90% of the same things, and gets paid too little.

I'm close friends with a neurologist at Kaiser and she regrets going into it sadly. Said wished she had picked another specialty and said it's only worth it if you're fellowship trained. Apparently too much stress, she sees 90% of the same things, and gets paid too little.

Thanks for posting this. Can you expand on why she is so stressed, and what are the "90% of the same things" she sees? (Ideally answering this question in comparison to other specialties she could have chosen.)

Why is neurology one of the least satisfied specialties? Why is the burnout rate so high?

It would depend on each person. I see many neurologists who are satisfied with their works and some of them are still working in their late 70s. I myself thoroughly enjoy my work and I feel I am getting well compensated. The other departments who request for consultations and patients and family I see clearly appreciate what I do for them. This includes tragic cases. During my free time, I enjoy updating my neurological knowledge. I can see myself doing the same thing for 20-30 years.

Reactions: 2 users
I think you'd see 90% of the same things in any specialty. Cards-->Chest pain and CHF exacerbation. Hospitalist-->Cellulitis and COPD. Neuro-->stroke, seizure, AMS. Just a few examples. Maybe I will get bored with the neuro bread and butter but at least I find it more interesting at the outset than I do the bread and butter of something like cards or IM.

I think you'd see 90% of the same things in any specialty. Cards-->Chest pain and CHF exacerbation. Hospitalist-->Cellulitis and COPD. Neuro-->stroke, seizure, AMS. Just a few examples. Maybe I will get bored with the neuro bread and butter but at least I find it more interesting at the outset than I do the bread and butter of something like cards or IM.

Curious, what would the bread and butter of child neurology be?

Curious, what would the bread and butter of child neurology be?
Seizures and vague developmental delay maybe. I don't know because I didn't rotate on it, but my peds service consulted a lot for seizures.

Kaiser - key word there. The whole system is rigged towards hospital profits with an industrial-veterinary model of care. It's no surprise that women with an MD quadruple their suicide rate relative to the general female population (male MDs only double).

The trick is to open your own office for cash. Much more satisfying, from what I gather.