Neurology-AI MD/PhD ... What to expect?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClutchDog

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm brand new here. I've checked around the forums a bit for some cool things... Little background on me.. Currently, I'm enlisted in the US Air Force, been in for 4.5 years, got 3.5 years to go, currently stationed in Korea for about 5 more months; headed to Tokyo after to finish my 3 years lol. I'm about 2 years into my B.S. in Software Engineering. When I'm finished with the Air Force, I'll be about 28 years old and won't start an MD/PhD program until I'm likely 29 or 30. Do note, I just started a family, and if you would please take that into consideration when addressing my questions at the bottom of this lengthy post. Thank you!

I have a huge fascination with the human brain as well as computers; from my standpoint, the future is headed in this direction; in fact, we are presently arriving here.

What I am most curious about is... When you get a MD/PhD especially in something like Neurology and Artifical Intelligence; would it be better to go for Neuroscience and AI? Or just AI?

I have read that some people are dealing more with trying to maintain their MD licenses and how much of a hassle that can be... I had a Psychiatrist tell me that if I went that route, that I would likely just end up doing Neurology and taking the $300k annually, "because it's easier."

The thing is, I'm not after easy, I'm after passion, science, and things that are bigger than just a salary and a privately owned practice. I'm thinking about things akin to that of Mark Chevillet of John Hopkins University who worked on several projects funded by the DoD and Intelligence community (now working at Facebook's Building 8)... In that regard, would it be better to go for a PhD in Neuroscience and/or AI?

What type of work and salary would I be looking at after residency with a Neuro-AI MD/PhD? I don't know how it would differ from a regular AI or Applied Neuroscience degree working on a research team. Would I just be put in charge of it and have more knowledge and qualifications as to the human body and what is applicable? Or is it just wiser to work alongside an MD as an AI Scientist? Please remember that I am 24 and I have just started a family (1 year old son) I appreciate all your help! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have read that some people are dealing more with trying to maintain their MD licenses and how much of a hassle that can be... I had a Psychiatrist tell me that if I went that route, that I would likely just end up doing Neurology and taking the $300k annually, "because it's easier."

I sort of agree. Not exactly in those words though.

The thing is, I'm not after easy, I'm after passion, science, and things that are bigger than just a salary and a privately owned practice. I'm thinking about things akin to that of Mark Chevillet of John Hopkins University who worked on several projects funded by the DoD and Intelligence community (now working at Facebook's Building 8)... In that regard, would it be better to go for a PhD in Neuroscience and/or AI?

What type of work and salary would I be looking at after residency with a Neuro-AI MD/PhD? I don't know how it would differ from a regular AI or Applied Neuroscience degree working on a research team. Would I just be put in charge of it and have more knowledge and qualifications as to the human body and what is applicable? Or is it just wiser to work alongside an MD as an AI Scientist? Please remember that I am 24 and I have just started a family (1 year old son) I appreciate all your help! Thank you.

I'm not after easy and never was. The job market for research is terrible and even if you work hard the jobs often are not available to continue doing basic science. If you do continue, you can look forward to a lot of time away from your family and hobbies. Even just the MD path offers this, unfortunately. Adding a PhD makes it that much more difficult.

That said, if you want to give it a go, just go for neuroscience and find a computational / electrophysiology lab. There are plenty out there.

You need to decide if you want to be a physician. Even if you work primarily as a researcher some day, you're going to train for 8 years in MD/PhD followed by years of residency training, much of which will be mostly or all clinical. If you want to be a researcher only, do that.