Neuroimaging

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iBS1972

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but could someone explain the order of imaging/type of imaging that you use when locating a lesion in a patient? It was explained to me a couple times on rotation (months back), but there it was a lot (with CT noncon, MRI T2, flare/DWI,... dark/bright...) and I got lost near the beginning.
    Say a 50 year old patient who came in with a sudden onset left sided weakness, what order of tests would you look at?
  2. Also, a more specific question, why can't you use CT contrast to look for the location of a stroke? (I know people say that because of the contrast you can't distinguish between ischemic vs. hemorrhage, but I don't get that. If it's ischemic, wouldn't it not enhance anyways, since there's no perfusion there, meaning no blood, and thus no contrast and would look just the same as a noncon; while if it's hemorrhagic, well you would see enhancement...?) Can someone please be so kind as to explain this to me? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

A CT can show the location of a large stroke and is also useful a quick and cheap test for determining the presence of an hemorrhagic stroke, but it takes longer for an ischemic stroke to be visible on a CT vs. MRI. MRI is also more sensitive a detecting smaller strokes, and other pathology, to answer a question of does my patient need a LP, biopsy, etc. In most cases, radiology has MRI protocols for various differential diagnoses. For ischemic stroke, it's usually T1, T2, FLAIR, DWI and ADC maps. ADC maps are calculated from the DWI to differentiate restricted diffusion from T2 "shine through" on DWI.
Of course, a MRA of the intracranial and extracranial circulation is ordered. A MRA can be done with or without contrast. Other ways of examining the circulation include CT angiography, digital subtraction angiography (requires catheterization), and ultrasound Doppler.
If there is hemorrhage based on CT scan, then add a gradient echo sequence, which may be called susceptibility weighted on certain scanners, to look for microhemorrhages.
For acute stroke, some centers do CT perfusion; others will do MRI perfusion, which is with contrast, to look for a perfusion-diffusion mismatch to stratify patients for endovascular treatment.
This is a brief overview. There is more to learn about MRI from visiting the Radiopaedia site.
Have you though about doing a rotation in radiology or neuroradiology? A neuroradiology rotation would be helpful if you're thinking about going into neurology. There are opportunities for neuroradiology rotations during neurology residency as well.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your response! We have a required radiology rotation, but I'm not sure how much neuroradiology it will teach. I will definitely ask the residents/attendings to try to teach me about this as much as they can.