Neuroblastoma and LUQ mass

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seminoma

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If neuroblastomas are most often in the adrenal gland why would there be a palpable firm LUQ mass? Aren't the adrenals retroperitoneal?

Members don't see this ad.

That's because the expansion is in the direction of least resistance.
It's easier to push out parietal peritoneum as compared to the ribs, paraspinal muscles and ligaments.
Hence the ventral growth.

That's because the expansion is in the direction of least resistance.
It's easier to push out parietal peritoneum as compared to the ribs, paraspinal muscles and ligaments.
Hence the ventral growth.

Right, so it's pushing the normal anatomy ventrally, but what's making the mass firm?

Members don't see this ad :)
The kidneys are retroperitoneal, but you can still palpate them in a physical exam.

Hello Everyone! I am currently working on my grad project, where I am trying to bring awareness to PAs regarding neuroblastoma and Wilms tumor in the pediatric population. The aim is to help make an earlier diagnosis and therefore have better outcomes. My project includes etiology, epidemiology, pathophysiology, signs and symptoms, diagnosis strategies, as well as treatment and prognosis. I am a part of a group on LinkedIn and was hoping all who are interested would join the group. My goal is to share the knowledge I have learned with the research I have done but also for others to share their insight and experiences as well. Here is the link to the LinkedIn page: Sign Up

If the above link does not work, you can search for the group page: Neuroblastoma vs Wilms Tumor Diagnosis Challenges. If anyone else has questions or suggestions to possibly help increase awareness please let me know. This is a very important topic for me.

Thank you!