NERB / ADEX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OCDFlosser

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a D3 student at a California dental school, graduating May 2016. I don't plan to practice in California. Long-term, I want to practice in Florida (where my family is). However, I plan to live in a different state that also accepts NERB/ADEX, at least for a few years...hopefully somewhere in between Cali and Florida.

Does anyone have an updated list of which states accept which licensure exams? I can only find this one from 2013. (perhaps this is still up-to-date?) http://adeximport.dnnstaging.com/ADEXMembership/StatesAcceptingADEXDentalExam.aspx

Also, has anyone had the experience of taking a board exam from a different state than the school you attend?

I know it's early, but my school is already preparing my class for WREBs. I want to utilize this year wisely and make sure I get licensed the first time I try, and without too much stress. ANY info on the NERB/ADEX exam would be helpful. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all, I'm currently trying to figure out licensing as well. From what I understand about Florida:

There is NO reciprocity at all. Everyone applying for a Florida license has to take and pass the ADEX. Not only do you have to take ADEX, but you have to take it IN FLORIDA. This is according to an ADA publication:
"All applicants required to take either: ADEX Dental Licensing Examination administered in Florida, or ADEX Dental Licensing Examination administered in a jurisdiction other than Florida, if the examination was completed after October 1, 2011 and graded by dentists who are licensed in Florida"​
So even if you take ADEX it has to be graded by Florida dentists.

This seems pretty crazy to me. I matched to a 6 year OMFS residency, so the only way I'd be able to practice in Florida is to take a clinical restorative exam after 6 years of never doing a filling and having no patients... I guess the purpose of this is to keep dentists from moving to Florida - I guess it's working...

Florida Requirements: http://floridasdentistry.gov/licensing/dentist/

Last edited:
HI everybody,
I am a dentist from Canada and I am planning to take the ADEX-CDCA, ADEX-CITA or WREB exams. Could somebody summarize them for me? I mean the difference and similarities between then. Any advantages one over the other?
I also need info about the best ways I can get myself a refresher course and also patient services?
Thank you

Just to update: I don't think it's required that you take the ADEX in Florida. It is offered in any state that accepts ADEX/CDCA. You just have to be employed within a year of taking the exam (that means, don't take 364 days off after taking your exam). Correct me if I'm reading this wrong

Florida Board of Dentistry » Dentist- Licensing, Renewals & Information