Negotiating Salary for Residency/Fellowship Reimbursement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andzpt11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been practicing OP ortho for the last 2 years and was ready to work with my employer to enter into certification program and eventual fellowship. However I am now relocating across the country due to my husband's job. I am just starting to apply for jobs and I would still like to go into this one particular program for fellowship in the very near future. What I am not sure of is how best to go about asking for this in an interview/negotiations. Does anyone have some experience with this process and what were the outcomes? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been practicing OP ortho for the last 2 years and was ready to work with my employer to enter into certification program and eventual fellowship. However I am now relocating across the country due to my husband's job. I am just starting to apply for jobs and I would still like to go into this one particular program for fellowship in the very near future. What I am not sure of is how best to go about asking for this in an interview/negotiations. Does anyone have some experience with this process and what were the outcomes? Thank you.

Talk to them about the structure and how your practice patterns would change in the program. Also ask about patient population volume for competency. Will you be going to conferences and integrating newest research? Is this something that will help you longterm for quality outcomes and business models? What are you getting that you didn't get in school and how does it build on that?

Some of them like the one at kaiser pay like 42/hr with benefits and I think have weekend intensives.

Avoid the ones that are obviously having you pay tuition and not even giving you FTE.....while you teach students for a portion...and there isnt even a well defined goal of creating someone with skilled rehab progressions but just talk about "elevating the profession" without providing an actual program structure to benefit you and outcomes.....you know what I mean.

Predatory.
Stay away from those

Last edited:
Try to remember you're interviewing them as much as they're interviewing you. Have some questions for them to outline what's important to you. I asked whether or not raises were typically given for the attainment of specialty certifications and found out, in my case, the company didn't really do that. However, I learned from asking that something like lymphedema certification could possibly result in a pay increase because it would make the facility more marketable. You can and you absolutely should leverage your certification for increased pay by citing how your clinic/facility will be more marketable because they will, henceforth, be able to offer A, B and C to their patients because of you. If the facility will benefit financially from your certification you should see financial gains as well.

Reactions: 1 user