This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prohealth

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I just need some type of advice on what to do. I graduated from undergrad with BS in May 2014. I am now completing my MPH this coming May. I have decided to apply to medical school next summer (June 2018).
Since I have now been away from the sciences that are on the MCAT for 3 years, I am planning on studying for six months while working full time then taking the exam. Is this a good idea? Does anyone have a suggested schedule? What prep course is the best to reintroduce me to the subjects?

Members don't see this ad.

I think 6 months should give you enough of time for the MCAT. I am also working almost full time and I am studying for the MCAT right now. I wish I had started it earlier but I think it is doable if you are disciplined and have no other activities outside of work and MCAT. I don't recommend taking a course as it is too expensive and I think you can study for the MCAT on your own and save the money for the applications. Like you, I have been out of school for a while so I tried to choose my resources wisely. TBR is very thorough so I would recommend using them. I am using them now for most of the sciences and I find them to cover everything I need to know. For PS, go with KA and TPR. This is the most difficult section to study for since most, if not, all of the prep resources do not cover everything you need to know (most student who had taken the MCAT said they saw terms and concepts that they had never seen before). For practice passages, I recommend old AAMC tests, EK 101 passages, TPR verbal book, and KA BS and PS passages (I just reiterated this from recommendations I found here). For practice tests, get all the AAMC stuff and either NS or EK or Altius ( I haven't tried any of these yet since I am still doing content review but have heard great things about them). You can also get 3 practice tests from TPR for free if you have the ISBN of one of their books (not great from what I have heard but good practice if you have time).