Need your help. What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYian

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a 24 years old finishing my degree in Biology and public health from a private university in NY. My undergrad gpa is about 3.1 and premed reqs are:
General Biology 1: A
General Biology 2: b+
Gen chem 1 class B-
Gen chem 1 lab A
Gen chem 2 class B-
Gen chem 2 lab 2
Organic Chem 1: c+
Organic Chem 2: c
Physics 1: C
Physics 2: B
Biochemistry 1: B
--------------------------------------------------
Overall GPA is 3.1
With that said, should I do a post bac? or take another BS degree in Medical biotech which can be completed in 2 years, or do a post-bac and finish it in one year and then apply?
I have strong volunteering and shadowing activities and worked full time while in school and helped opened a family business. I came to the US 5 years ago and did not know the system very well and had to change many majors and courses. I've emailed RUSM and they have said you should take the MCAT and apply you seem to have a chance there but it raises many red flags to me.

Members don't see this ad.

I would only do a second BS degree if you are sure that doing so will get you a job before med school that you really, really want. If not, I would do a post bacc and ace it.

Obviously, taking the MCAT and doing well on it (505+ for DO) would be good for you.

I agree, the GPA is something that will hurt on applications. You should aim to take upper level science/bio courses and ace them. The goal w/ taking additional classes is to show that, "the you of now is not the you of then". If you can ace 1-2 years worth of PB science courses you should be in solid standing to get some II's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously, taking the MCAT and doing well on it (505+ for DO) would be good for you.

I agree, the GPA is something that will hurt on applications. You should aim to take upper level science/bio courses and ace them. The goal w/ taking additional classes is to show that, "the you of now is not the you of then". If you can ace 1-2 years worth of PB science courses you should be in solid standing to get some II's.

505 + 3.1 is not good for DO.

Would 509+ still not be good? There are some DO schools that seem to like high MCAT scores.

Not with a 3.1. That's very low. I don't know what's going on with the likes of new schools, but I applied with a 3.15 and a 34 mcat to 15 schools and got 1 interview (Touro loves high MCATs). You can see the same thing on these boards. If you want to compensate for a GPA that low, you need a higher mcat than 509. I knew a guy with a 3.0 and a 518 who applied to every DO school and only got interviews at the Touros. Fact is that DO schools are far more likely to forgive a low mcat than a low gpa.

Reactions: 1 user
You will be fine with a 3.1/505 at the newer schools, especially if you match their mission.

You could try:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
UIWSOM
WCUCOM
RVUCOM-Utah

Reactions: 1 users
Not with a 3.1. That's very low. I don't know what's going on with the likes of new schools, but I applied with a 3.15 and a 34 mcat to 15 schools and got 1 interview (Touro loves high MCATs). You can see the same thing on these boards. If you want to compensate for a GPA that low, you need a higher mcat than 509. I knew a guy with a 3.0 and a 518 who applied to every DO school and only got interviews at the Touros. Fact is that DO schools are far more likely to forgive a low mcat than a low gpa.

True a 3.1 is low, but I've seen the opposite happen as well around these parts. I think it just shows how random the process is sometimes. Obviously a 3.1 isn't a good GPA to apply with, but I don't think it's the end of the world if you also have a high MCAT score. In both cases you guys still ended up having interview(s). To OP, you should aim for acing 25-30 credit hours of science classes, and that combined with a good MCAT score should put you in good shape.

I've got a 3.18c/3.08s and a 509. I have opted to apply this cycle to many DO programs. I'll be sure to contribute my n=1 story at some point. I have a few postbacc courses (3) and will continue taking them throughout the year so that I will be better prepared next cycle or the cycle following, if this cycle does not work out.

To OP, I would say that completing an extensive DIY postbacc prior to any application will only help. That is definitely a good route if you feel you can wait. I had a significant upward trend later on in undergrad, but only after an equivalently or even slightly worse showing in prereqs. Given my more recent academic success/postbacc, I feel ready for med school so decided to apply. Hopefully there is a chance med schools agree, but I recognize chances are <<50% this cycle.

If you're URM, you would have much better luck applying with your current stats and a good MCAT.

505 + 3.1 is not good for DO.

3.1 is much lower than the average matriculation gpa for just about every DO school. That being said, I am under the assumption that DO schools are more likely to reward "reinvention". Applying w/ a 3.1 w/out taking any PB courses would be considered lethal. You have to show 1-2 years worth of work demonstrating that you are capable of obtaining A's. If you ace the classes, your GPA will likely increase to about a 3.2/3.3 (A's only) -- which will help. But the goal of the PB when you have already taken so many credits (and your GPA>3.0 - which is the min cutoff for most DO schools) is to basically show that the "you of now" is capable of handling med school curricula.

Another thing to consider is having strong extra curriculars. This is key no matter what your GPA/MCAT scores are. If you have a 4.0 and 528 w/ no clinical or volunteer work, it would still be tough getting in.

There is a thread in the pre-DO section, titled "Goro's advice in the absence of grade replacement". I recommend reading it. The link is provided below.

Edit: Goro’s advice for DO applicants in the absence of grade replacement

Last edited:
Would 509+ still not be good? There are some DO schools that seem to like high MCAT scores.
The 3.1 GPA is indicative of someone who will struggle in med school, unless there is a big upward GPA trend.

Some people are simply good at pattern recognition and standardized exams.

A 3.1 GPA will get screen out of a lot of DO schools, including mine.

3.1 is much lower than the average matriculation gpa for just about every DO school. That being said, I am under the assumption that DO schools are more likely to reward "reinvention". Applying w/ a 3.1 w/out taking any PB courses would be considered lethal. You have to show 1-2 years worth of work demonstrating that you are capable of obtaining A's. If you ace the classes, your GPA will likely increase to about a 3.2/3.3 (A's only) -- which will help. But the goal of the PB when you have already taken so many credits (and your GPA>3.0 - which is the min cutoff for most DO schools) is to basically show that the "you of now" is capable of handling med school curricula.

Another thing to consider is having strong extra curriculars. This is key no matter what your GPA/MCAT scores are. If you have a 4.0 and 528 w/ no clinical or volunteer work, it would still be tough getting in.

There is a thread in the pre-DO section, titled "Goro's advice in the absence of grade replacement". I recommend reading it. The link is provided below.

Edit: Goro’s advice for DO applicants in the absence of grade replacement
What about a 3.1 GPA in undergrad, and a 3.4 to 3.5 GPA in post-bac Master's program? Will I have a good chance then?

IMO do a year of post-bach (maybe even a part-time schedule) while you study for the MCAT. Then apply with a year of upper-level sciences (A's for days) and a balanced 505+ MCAT and you should yield interviews.

I think if you get a solid MCAT wth your stats now you'll have a shot as some newer schools.

Good luck op.
-NF

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What if you have a 3.3+ cgpa but around a 3.1 sgpa and a high bms grad gpa (3.8+)
The grad GPA is the thing that counts. SDNers are advised, yet again, not to look at a single metric. Rising GPA trends are important! They tell us that the you of now is not the you of then.

There are a number of MD (and all DO) that reward reinvention.

Reactions: 1 users