Need some last minute advice re: STEP1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfguy84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what to do here. I am taking Step this week but all I keep seeing is everyone saying how much harder it is than UW and the nbme exams. My goal was a 240. My UWSA averages are above this...my NBME averages are slightly below this.

But if the real thing is going to be worlds above this, I'm feeling like I shouldn't trust these averages. Any advice at all, particularly if you've taken this thing yet?

Members don't see this ad.

If the real thing is going to be harder, then the score will be scaled accordingly. Your not going to score lower just because the exam is harder.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take it. You're at a disadvantage if you don't.

I think this is just last minute jitters, I'm going to take it.

Out of curiosity, do you think that disadvantage is still massive with a 650 COMLEX score?

Luck will play into it too. I had one subject that I was weak in and only had 1 question the entire test.

Yes, it'll be harder, but just do it

Luck will play into it too. I had one subject that I was weak in and only had 1 question the entire test.

Yes, it'll be harder, but just do it

Fair enough.

But do you think my actual step score will be beneath my NBME/UWSA average of ~240 since it's harder? I don't see how these averages are accurate if the real thing is harder...

I wouldn't trust the UWorld average to USMLE score table that floats around, but most people score about their NBME/UWSA average. A few point drop or bump isn't uncommon, but it would be weird to have a dramatic change.

The real thing is harder because it's stressful. Doing questions at home on your couch is easier than doing questions at Prometric with "oh crap what if I fail" in the back (or front) of your mind. I don't think it's ACTUALLY harder, it just feels that way-- which is why you'll likely leave feeling horrible but then be okay in the end.

Fair enough.

But do you think my actual step score will be beneath my NBME/UWSA average of ~240 since it's harder? I don't see how these averages are accurate if the real thing is harder...
I'd say most people fall on the average of their NBME because of the curve, but I've seen both scenarios (lower/higher) step score play out. Sorry that the answer is not satisfying.

Fair enough.

Impossible to answer, but you can just judge by the trend by the countless people who have taken the test and scored similar to their practice test.

Same relative practice scores as you (NBMEs: 230s ; UW: 240s). Took it. Left the testing center with a smile!

Harder? Yes. But so what? Nothing completely unmanageable, and only a few things I've never seen before in the last two years. I expect my score to be right around average, and if I get anything better or worse, sobeit! I expect that the scoring algorithm will do my study justice. Relax, and take the test like its 7 blocks of UW you haven't taken yet. Don't overanalyze it.

Avoid analytical agony!

Same relative practice scores as you (NBMEs: 230s ; UW: 240s). Took it. Left the testing center with a smile!

Harder? Yes. But so what? Nothing completely unmanageable, and only a few things I've never seen before in the last two years. I expect my score to be right around average, and if I get anything better or worse, sobeit! I expect that the scoring algorithm will do my study justice. Relax, and take the test like its 7 blocks of UW you haven't taken yet. Don't overanalyze it.

Avoid analytical agony!
Easier said than done for a test that will basically determine to some extent what specialty one can get into...

Don't overanalyze it.

Avoid analytical agony!

Easier said than done for a test that will basically determine to some extent what specialty one can get into...

True, but @kbeitz still gives sound advice. Almost everyone seems to score around their NBME/UWSA average. You can beat statistics to death, but odds are good that if you're okay on your practice tests, you'll be the same level of okay on the real thing. Better for your blood pressure to trust in that then analyze everything to death.

Reactions: 1 user