Need some advice regarding radiology Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Octopus777

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an IMG aspiring to become a radiologist in the US. I haven't started my usmle process yet but am planning to. Do I have a better chance of getting a radiology Residency program if I complete some pre radiology degree course like BSRS or some fellowship courses in the US? If yes, what exactly is a fellowship and how is it going to be beneficial for me to achieve my goal?

Members don't see this ad.

Although I haven't been the most vocal supporter of IMG's, I'll give you honest advice: No extra course you take matters. you need to really excel on your USMLE's. If you score 240+ on step 1, you will likely match somewhere. If you don't have a Visa, it will be harder. Score the highest you possibly can on your board exams - that is what gets your foot in the door. I'd also advise to do rotations at IMG friendly programs. ( these will typically be in more rural / less desirable locations. ) .

Reactions: 1 user
Two programs discussed in the impressions thread that take an unusual number of IMG's include Yale and Emory.

In the PD sicky thread up top, the PD's discuss IMG applicants in detail and their posts may help answer some of your questions. Quite helpful actually.

Last edited: