Need Some Advice on PT Schools (GPA, GRE, Hours, etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MADMV3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I am currently getting ready to apply to PT schools this upcoming cycle and could use as much feedback as possible. *This post may be long, I apologize in advance*

GPA:
- Cumulative = ~3.44 (I took two classes again during my four years, and my unofficial transcript doesn't include the worst grade or average).
- Pre-requisite = ~3.0
- Pre-requisite = ~3.4 (taking the highest grade of my retakes).

So just a little breakdown. I started college as a bio major hoping to do pre-dental, I did terrible my first 2 years and had about a 2.7 cum gpa. I did some soul searching and changed my major and track to physical therapy and ended up graduating with a cum gpa of 3.44. My final 3 semesters of undergrad I got on the Dean's List. I got a C- in A&P1, C+ in A&P2, B- in gen chem 1, and failed organic chemistry. I am re-taking A&P 1 and 2 this summer and gen chem 1 & 2 in the fall and spring to boost my pre-requisite GPA. I screwed up major in my first two years of college, but ended with an upwards trend.

GRE:
- I am taking the GRE for the first time in July but have gotten around 150 on both verbal and math on my practice exams, with the works of increasing those scores.

Observation Hours:
- +150 hours of outpatient (2 different locations).
- ~50 hours of inpatient (1 location).

Extracurricular:
- Found/President of LiNK (liberty in north korea) for 2 years.
- Volunteered at a children developmental clinic for a semester.
- Resident Assistant for 2 years.
- TA for biology for 2 years.
- Volunteer at a retirement center.
- Teach guitar to children at my church.
- Executive board member of a professional fraternity.
- Executive board of habitat for humanity.

Schools That I am Interested in Applying To:
University of Hartford, George Washington University, University of New England, University of Maryland Baltimore, University of Maryland Eastern Shore, Boston University, MCPHS, New York University, Elon University, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Temple University, University of Pittsburgh, Marymount University, Shenandoah University, and University of Washington.

These are just some schools that I am interested in and will definitely change. But if you go to these schools, know anyone who got in, or are also applying to these programs do you guys have any suggestions to help out? Also, what other schools should I look at with in regards to my stats?

If you read this far, thank you so much. *Internet Hug*

Members don't see this ad.

That's great that your re-taking A&P and chemistry as well!
That will definitely bring up your pre-req GPA.
150 + on both sections in the GRE as well as a 4.0 + should be good for most schools as well.
In the meantime I would keep volunteering maybe 2-3 hours/week.

My best advice to you is apply early. Send those transcripts as soon as the application cycle opens because it takes time. And the last thing you want is to miss deadlines or not get accepted because you applied late and the class was already full.

Goodluck in your application!

Looking over the classes you might take again, I would say definitely redo A&P but I would not waste the time or money on retaking general chem as long as you received a C or better.

My freshman year of college I was an engineering major so the curriculum your freshman year has you taking Calc, chem, and physics all at the same time (which was a lot for me). Both chem 1&2 i received a C for the course and for chem lab 1 a C+ and chem lab 2 a B-. After my freshman year I realized engineering was not the right major for me and made the switch to Kinesiology. I had a lot to make up for as my cGPA was a 2.93. At the time of my application I raised my cGPA up to a 3.56. I am telling you this because I think it would be a waste to spend your time and money on two classes, instead I would say to use the time and money you had alloted for those two chem classes on upper level Kinesiology courses that will benefit you more in your future studies.

Of the schools you listed I only applied to Shenandoah University. I was accepted a few days after the interview. With this school in particular I think they are looking for a well rounded applicant which you seem to show in your extra curriculars.

Also in the application it allows you to talk about whether you think your grades accurately represent you as a student. In my application I noted how my freshman year I was not in the Kinesiology major and when I did make the switch to the Kinesiology major my grades continued in an upward trend. I would use this spot in your application to explain that as I can imagine the pre-dental track is more heavy loaded with those hard prereqs early on, whereas with the typical Kinesiology major you are able to spread out those classes to put more focus into.

Sorry this post was so long, I hope this info helps! Best of luck with your application and future interviews!