Need some advice - Canada to US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CleverAdvisor

MS3
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I have looked around and not seen an international to US subforum. I apologize if I missed it and hope this can be moved.

I'm a Canadian citizen looking to apply to US MD schools but have heard mixed reviews so I wanted to try to sort some things out.
My GPA is about 3.6, first year 3.35 but next 3 around 3.65 to 3.68. MCAT is 508 (127/125/128/128). I have a research semester, lots of volunteering, and work experience in allied health.

I have MSAR so I can look at which schools accept internationals, but I wanted to get some general advice and guidance about whether I should bother and if so which school I should target.

Thank you, and again I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Identify the schools with a median MCAT around 30 that consider internationals.
Eliminate those that matriculated 3 or fewer.
Eliminate mission based schools (e.g. Loma Linda and the HBCU's).
Apply to the rest.

Is that your only MCAT?

Identify the schools with a median MCAT around 30 that consider internationals.
Eliminate those that matriculated 3 or fewer.
Eliminate mission based schools (e.g. Loma Linda and the HBCU's).
Apply to the rest.

Is that your only MCAT?
I have taken the new one twice, my first one was a 501.

There are about a dozen DO schools that you may want to consider as well.
Did you take the old one, too?
I took the old one but got a 24 :(
I guess DO may be my only option to stay in NA. I want to do rural family medicine so that is maybe something that is favorable?

Reactions: 1 user
I guess DO may be my only option to stay in NA. I want to do rural family medicine so that is maybe something that is favorable?
Take a look at these:

AZCOM
Ccom
Kcumb
Lmu
Marian
Msucom
Pcom ga
Nova
Rowan
Touro
Unecom
Tcom
Western

Applying to the US as a Canadian is hard. Its possible, and you dont necessarily have to have 4.0, 520+, but there needs to be something in your application that a med school would be interested in. Theyre going to the trouble of sponsoring a F1, making sure that youve got enough in the bank to affoed tuition and living expenses, etc. Something has to justify taking you over another american.
If you're interested in rural fm, that's great. However, does your app actually support this statement?
There are other comments I can make here, but need to be on something other than my phone. Feel free to pm if youve got specifics for me.

I looked into the above DO schools and the problem is that I have only done 1 English class and Ochem I. Does that leave me SOL for DO? :(