This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you think I should apply this cycle, or the next?

• 2017-2018

• 2018-2019

Results are only viewable after voting.

amlope03

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been in quite a predicament for the last month about applying to pt school this cycle 2017-2018, or the next cycle 2018-2019.

My current statistics include:
University: University of Louisville
Major: Exercise Science
Minor: Wellness Coaching
Overall GPA: 3.93
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.73 (only including one year of biology/chemistry/anatomy & physiology/physics with labs)
GRE: ~295, 4.0 (I have not taken the actual GRE yet, but will in a few days;however, this was my most recent practice exam score- I am awful at standardized tests)
Extra-Curric: work-study student (have had to work during my "free-time" due to money and priority of achieving good grades)
Volunteer: Louisville Grows and Bernie Sanders Campaign (I plan on volunteering A LOT more during my senior year, but unfortunately, will not be able to include those on the app if I apply this year)
Observation: ~80 hours inpatient (job shadowing), ~80 hours outpatient (job shadowing), ~132 hours outpatient (interning)

I think it is also worth mentioning that I will be doing research with one of my professors this fall, volunteering at least once a month, and getting a job PRNing at the place I am currently interning.

If anyone is willing to give me advice about whether I should apply this year, or wait until next year- I would greatly appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

You have good stats. Bombing the GRE could sabotage you at a fair number of schools if that happens, but there's a good chance you'll get at least an average score, as PT applicants are a low-scoring bunch anyway. If you're worried about that, you can find schools that don't weigh the GRE highly. There are tons. Your hours are good and your extra-curriculars are fine, not that extra-curriculars matter that much.

I'm not sure why you would wait unless there were some personal reason. You are competitive this round.

I agree with Skyris. I don't see why you would want to wait because your stats are very competitive. Get a combined score of at least 300 on the GRE and I can almost guarantee you'll get invited to interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Update: I scored a 306 on the GRE (V: 152 Q:154), but I won't know my AWA for 3 weeks.

Reactions: 1 user
Apply this year, every year it gets more competitive. Make sure you have multiple places that you have observed at.

Update again: 152 V (56th) 154 Q (55th) 4.0 A (60th)

Definitely apply now. Your GPAs are well above average and are extremely competitive and your GRE is right around average to above average for most schools.