Need MCAT Prep Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hakeemk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a nontrad doing a diy postbac at a CC for prereqs for both MD/DO and PA school. I started Jan 2016 (Spring 2016 semester), and currently, I have the following courses (all w/ lab) completed as of last week: Gen Chem 1 and 2, Gen Bio 1, Orgo 1, A&P1.
I want to ideally take the MCAT by summer of 2017. As for courses, this is my plan for 2017 (all courses w/ lab):
Spring 2017: Orgo 2, A&P2, Physics 1
Summer 2017: Micro
Fall 2017: Gen Bio 2, Biochem, Physics 2
I don't plan on working while taking classes, but I would continue volunteering in the ER 4 hrs a week.

I know there are threads for MCAT prep, but honestly, with so many, I don't know where to start, so any advice would be much appreciated considering my situation. Thanks a ton in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

First step is utilize as many resources as possible to discern what "prep" would fit you better. This is a link to an AMAZING PODCAST. Without this and Dr. Grays other podcast called the premed years (which you can also link to) I would not feel as confident as I currently do with my prep :) The only thing I notice is that you don't have any psychology and sociology classes. Throwing in a stats class wouldn't hurt you either. What is your timeline? Are you trying to matriculate into med school class of 2018?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/mcat-podcast-medical-school/id1140333666?mt=2

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
First step is utilize as many resources as possible to discern what "prep" would fit you better. This is a link to an AMAZING PODCAST. Without this and Dr. Grays other podcast called the premed years (which you can also link to) I would not feel as confident as I currently do with my prep :) The only thing I notice is that you don't have any psychology and sociology classes. Throwing in a stats class wouldn't hurt you either. What is your timeline? Are you trying to matriculate into med school class of 2018?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/mcat-podcast-medical-school/id1140333666?mt=2

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Awesome! Thank you so much for the advice and link. I'll have to check out the podcast soon. As for stats, psych and sociology classes, I actually took some of these courses online during the last year of finishing my undergrad.
As for my timeline, I would ideally like to apply at some point in 2017, although I realize a more realistic goal may be the 2018 application cycle. I'm actually planning on applying to PA school as well, so that I can cast a wider net. Since I'm 31, I would like to keep my options open in case I don't get into one or the other.

A&P is not useful at all for the MCAT. I would sub in genetics, cell bio, or molecular bio if possible (or move Bio 2 to your A&P 2 spot and put an upper-div class in the old Bio 2 spot, even better).

You won't be ready for the MCAT by summer of 2017 if you still haven't taken bio 2, biochem, sociology, or psychology by then. There's no point in taking the MCAT in the summer anyway; it's bad timing for a 2017 application, and for a 2018 application you might as well chill and finish your classes, dedicate time for prep, and then take the MCAT in the first quarter of 2018.

I have some MCAT resources built up from my time through it. If you'd like access just shoot me a PM.

Reactions: 1 users