Need MAJOR advice Masters in I/O psych but PhD in Neuropsychology? HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lilly345

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All!

Okay so this is my situation: I graduated from my university with a BA in Psychology this past May! Im currently working in a field that has nothing to do with psychology ( i work as an optician, will this hurt my chances?) as I study for the GRE which I am going to be taking in this December. During my undergrad career I was a research assistant at my schools Psychology Lab. My Overall GPA is around 3.3. Im planning on getting my masters and then applying for PhD

My confusion comes from not knowing which programs to apply too! Im interested in Industrial Organizational Psychology as well as Neuropsychology. Would it be odd if i were to do Industrial Organizational for my masters but then apply to Neuropsychology PhD Programs?

Im interested in both! I would love to work a few years in I/O psych with my masters and save up money for my PhD in Neuropsychology or would it be better to do my masters in general psychology/ clinical psychology and then PhD to neuropsychology? Would love your input!!

Members don't see this ad.

You can't get a PhD in Neuropsychology. You can get a PhD in clinical psychology and later on do a two year postdoctoral fellowship to specialize in Neuropsychology though. Biggest barrier right now would be that low GPA and lack of research experience. I'd be looking for masters programs that get you plenty of research exposure and the possibility of publications.

Hello All!

Okay so this is my situation: I graduated from my university with a BA in Psychology this past May! Im currently working in a field that has nothing to do with psychology ( i work as an optician, will this hurt my chances?) as I study for the GRE which I am going to be taking in this December. During my undergrad career I was a research assistant at my schools Psychology Lab. My Overall GPA is around 3.3. Im planning on getting my masters and then applying for PhD

My confusion comes from not knowing which programs to apply too! Im interested in Industrial Organizational Psychology as well as Neuropsychology. Would it be odd if i were to do Industrial Organizational for my masters but then apply to Neuropsychology PhD Programs?

Im interested in both! I would love to work a few years in I/O psych with my masters and save up money for my PhD in Neuropsychology or would it be better to do my masters in general psychology/ clinical psychology and then PhD to neuropsychology? Would love your input!!

Late to reply, but my advice is to first spend time learning about and choosing the one field on which to focus your future time, effort, and money.

The training sequence you mentioned would look haphazard to the casual observer, and if you told someone you'd planned it that way it would most likely work against you.