Need help with the California Law and Ethics Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asiandent101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow dentists and planning to get their license in Cali. I need some study information regarding this exam. I would appreciate it greatly. My email is [email protected]. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello fellow dentists and planning to get their license in Cali. I need some study information regarding this exam. I would appreciate it greatly. My email is [email protected]. Thank you!
I once considered going to CA to practice. Go to the website for the dental board and also contact the office directly via phone or email and inquire about the exam. I remember being so frustrated in not being able to properly locate information on their website, so please give them a call so that you will be led in the right direction to get the material you need. Also, I have a friends who practice out there, would you like for me to get you in contact with them? Let me know and I will email you contact info. Best wishes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Guys,
I failed Ca law and ethics exam recently and going to schedule again soon. Pl help me with following questions
I may have missed on exam. Because we don't know which answers were correct and which ones were incorrect.
Q1 If you have a husband and wife in your office both having endo pain, how many prescriptions would you write for them
(They also mentioned that they are living in the same house).
2 Prescriptions for antibiotic and 2 for analgesics ( i have chosen this one means 2 separate prescriptions for them)
2 for antibiotics and 1 for analgesics or
1 for antibiotics and 2 for analgesics
Q 2 You have a patient of another dentist who is out of city . Patient came for some minor emergency work.
Pt tells you that his dentist treatment planned for 6 restorations and you can see only 2. What you will do?
Please tell me if you are obligated to see a patient, who is not a pt of record to treat him/her for emergency or you
can always give them options to go for emergency at certain health care facilities.
I also want to know if we want to tell the patient about the over treatment planned for him/her before discussing with
the other dentist or first we need to talk to other dentist about the treatment plan or tell the patient that he needs restoration in only 2 teeth and you are going to talk to his/her dentist soon about this.( chosen last one)
Q3 If you see many faulty restorations in a pt during emergency. The pt is your friend's(DDS) pt of record and your friend is
on vacation.
Do we need to tell this pt that he is having faulty restorations or having a open margin on a recently cemented crown or
just talk to your dentist friend about this and ask him under what circumstances did he do all the treatments.
Q4 if one of your friend is under influence of drug/alcohol and doing bad dentistry on her patients. Do you need to
tell the board about this or first talk to her and suggest her to enroll into Diversion program/or medical consult.( I chose last one)
Q5 Your friend calls you that he is having pain in a tooth and swelling and asks for a pain prescription because his dentist is out of city. What would be best option-
Refer him to emergency care in hospitals or
give him antibiotics and pain killers after examining him.(if he agrees for that)
Q6 Your pt drops a denture for immediately repair (same day) but your lab can't do it same day. You call at patient's home,
her husband tells you that she is not at home. What you will do-
Tell husband that his wife's denture can not be repaired today.
Ask him to tell his wife to call dentist's office because it is urgent.( I have chosen this one)
Ask him to tell his wife that you called about her denture.
Q7 Some dental records were stolen from a dentist's can, What would he do.
Inform board only and create new records
inform board and patients also and assure them
Q8 You do RCT on maxillary 1st molar and perforate pulp chamber. what is the legal option.
Tell the pt that you have perforated the pulp chamber and further treatments (i chose this)
or do not tell him and manage that
Q9 What should a dentist do with the pt records
Lock it at all the times
Lock it after office hours (I chose this one)
Lock in a room where only DDS can access it
Lock in a place where only manager access it
Q10 DDS is doing free exam and cosmetic consultation for new patients.
What is a legal issue.
he can not advertise for free exam
He should offer it to existing patients also
he should disclose related fees

Hi Every one, I may have not written Qs & options the exact way they were asked but please take part in this discussion
and let me know your choices and tell me more about advertisements and emergency patients who are not patients of record. Please.......................HELP. (I am not from CA and really need help.)
Thank you all