Need help with PT essay, having a hard time with it!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GOINGBALD42

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having a really hard time writing my personal statement for PT school. The question is how does
What is professionalism in the context of being a student in a doctor of physical therapist degree program?

My problem with writing this essay is that it sounds boring and like a list. Right now my essay sounds like you need a sense of maturity for example as a student and here is the list of why. You need this and here is a list of why type of deal which sounds so boring to me. I am also having a hard time integrating how my experience working in DPT clinic correlates with being a professional as a student. Could you give me some ideas and suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I tied in my experience and how it shaped me into an individual ready for the professionalism of a DPT program. Being a non traditional student though did help with that. Also look at the APTA professionalism core values (PDF download) and see what skills/attitudes you have highlight those areas and you could tie those in as well. I think this prompt is more open ended than it looks and shouldn't be about a professional student should do this and why. But more tell me about your professional acts and how it has shaped you to move forward in the world of PT.

Last edited:
This was the advice I gave on another thread. It was one approach that appeared to work for me.

I agree and it was not my favorite about when writing it. What I did (and I was accepted to a number of schools so I guess I was on the right track), was come up with a unique perspective on something that was a part of my life for a long time, and tied it together with APTA qualities for professionalism (found on their site) and anecdotes of scenarios that correlated to give them a more personal glimpse. What I didn't do was just say this is what makes a professional PT a student and then give examples of why I was one. Certainly just one approach, but I felt good about my finished essay and got into a number of good programs.

This was the advice I gave on another thread. It was one approach that appeared to work for me.

Can you explain more on on the perspective that it was part of your life? Can you give some examples?