Need help with future planning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreampsych3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My ultimate goal in life is to become a psychologist . I am really interested in clinical psychology and school psychology. On my journey to this goal I have made some mistakes due to lack of knowledge. I just graduated with a online masters degree. I decided to do the masters in order to help me get into a phd program due to my undergrad gpa being low. I did an online masters because I was moving around from one state to another due to family problems.

Now I trying to decide what to do to help me get to my goal which is getting into a phd program.

I currently volunteer as a research assistant at Columbia University/NYSPI I want to do this for two years and get a publication and poster.

I currently work at a non profit mental health program conducting group therapy. I would like to change my job to gain more money and possibly get a job in research.

I got a job offer from Weill Cornell Medical College to a research aide and currently waiting on an offer from NDRI to be a research/administrative assistant.

If I take any one of those offers plus my current volunteer research assistantship, do you guys think these things will help me get into a PHD program?

I currently can't afford to go back to school and getting another masters from a brick college, I know for Cornell Medical College they have tuition reimbursement of 5,000 if I do take this position what program or classes should I take in NYC that could help me boost my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

My ultimate goal in life is to become a psychologist . I am really interested in clinical psychology and school psychology. On my journey to this goal I have made some mistakes due to lack of knowledge. I just graduated with a online masters degree. I decided to do the masters in order to help me get into a phd program due to my undergrad gpa being low. I did an online masters because I was moving around from one state to another due to family problems.

Now I trying to decide what to do to help me get to my goal which is getting into a phd program.

I currently volunteer as a research assistant at Columbia University/NYSPI I want to do this for two years and get a publication and poster.

I currently work at a non profit mental health program conducting group therapy. I would like to change my job to gain more money and possibly get a job in research.

I got a job offer from Weill Cornell Medical College to a research aide and currently waiting on an offer from NDRI to be a research/administrative assistant.

If I take any one of those offers plus my current volunteer research assistantship, do you guys think these things will help me get into a PHD program?

I currently can't afford to go back to school and getting another masters from a brick college, I know for Cornell Medical College they have tuition reimbursement of 5,000 if I do take this position what program or classes should I take in NYC that could help me boost my chances?

I can't weigh in because I am a PsyD student. However, others who can help will likely need to know if you've taken the GRE and what your scores were, and your undergrad GPA among other things in order to give you the best informed advice.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I can't weigh in because I am a PsyD student. However, others who can help will likely need to know if you've taken the GRE and what your scores were, and your undergrad GPA among other things in order to give you the best informed advice.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Okay, thank you for the tip. I took the GRE last year and didn't do so great so I know I would need to work on that. My undergrad gpa was a 2.8

Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking *only* to the question about which courses/programs in NYC to pursue, I'd suggest taking classes within the CUNY system (City College, Hunter College, Brooklyn College, Queens College). Assuming you're a NY state resident, that's where you are going to get the most bang for your buck. Great programs, reasonable (especially for the NYC area) tuition. Some of their master's programs offer funding, too, if money is the only thing holding you back from a brick and mortar master's.

Speaking *only* to the question about which courses/programs in NYC to pursue, I'd suggest taking classes within the CUNY system (City College, Hunter College, Brooklyn College, Queens College). Assuming you're a NY state resident, that's where you are going to get the most bang for your buck. Great programs, reasonable (especially for the NYC area) tuition. Some of their master's programs offer funding, too, if money is the only thing holding you back from a brick and mortar master's.

Thank you so much, yes I am a New York resident.A couple of months ago I was looking at Brooklyn College but got discouraged due to not having money. I will find out how I can go about applying for funding for the experimental psychology masters program at the CUNY schools.Thank you!

Take the job that will give you the most exposure to the research process. I'd be wary of anything with "administrative" in the title.