Need help with a study plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys, I need some help..

Have 4.5 weeks til my exam. My baseline nbme is a 226. I honestly thought it would be higher so kind of let down right now.....need help and advice on how to spend these next 4 weeks... thanks for whatever advice you can provide.

Members don't see this ad.

Look up AOA FM residencies.

But seriously tho, check Uworld and see where you're doing badly and work on those and do more questions like kaplan?

UFAP starting with your weakestest subjects noted by the nbme

Members don't see this ad :)
UFAP starting with your weakestest subjects noted by the nbme

Can you clarify a bit. Like, should I just read the section, watch pathoma, and do UW questions? For me, I feel like just reading FA and watching videos is too passive. Not sure what else to do though...

Can you clarify a bit. Like, should I just read the section, watch pathoma, and do UW questions? For me, I feel like just reading FA and watching videos is too passive. Not sure what else to do though...

That's what I do.

Guys, I need some help..

Have 4.5 weeks til my exam. My baseline nbme is a 226. I honestly thought it would be higher so kind of let down right now.....need help and advice on how to spend these next 4 weeks... thanks for whatever advice you can provide.
Practice questions...lots of practice questions, no matter what the source.

Home in on your weakest subjects. Typically this will be from OMSI. And for all the practice questions, you should be able, at this point to at least be a tad familiar with the subjects, even if at the level of "oh, Dr Goro taught about that...what did that functional deficit do?"...meaning, you shouldn't be bushwhacked by any question or answer.

As I recall, you have been a very good student. At my own school, that is typical for doing well on Boards. So have some faith in yourself!

Practice questions...lots of practice questions, no matter what the source.

Home in on your weakest subjects. Typically this will be from OMSI. And for all the practice questions, you should be able, at this point to at least be a tad familiar with the subjects, even if at the level of "oh, Dr Goro taught about that...what did that functional deficit do?"...meaning, you shouldn't be bushwhacked by any question or answer.

As I recall, you have been a very good student. At my own school, that is typical for doing well on Boards. So have some faith in yourself!

Do you think it's better to spend more time going over practice Q's than it is to review pathoma, FA, etc? Assume Ill be doing both, but should the focus be more on practice Qs?

I'd say I'm definitely familiar with all wrong answers...very rarely is something completely out of left field. I think our school professors taught us pharm, immuno very well....path and micro less so. So I've been focusing more on this. I have done well in school and on pre-dedicated baseline assessments...just getting a bit overwhelmed as we get closer to test date i guess!

Do you think it's better to spend more time going over practice Q's than it is to review pathoma, FA, etc? Assume Ill be doing both, but should the focus be more on practice Qs?

I'd say I'm definitely familiar with all wrong answers...very rarely is something completely out of left field. I think our school professors taught us pharm, immuno very well....path and micro less so. So I've been focusing more on this. I have done well in school and on pre-dedicated baseline assessments...just getting a bit overwhelmed as we get closer to test date i guess!
FA is good for the bare-bones basics. But it's not the be-all and end-all that poor students make it out to be. Pathoma seems to be more helpful.

I've sat for COMLEX several times, and there is very little histopathology or histology. Pathophysiology, you bet.

FA is good for the bare-bones basics. But it's not the be-all and end-all that poor students make it out to be. Pathoma seems to be more helpful.

I've sat for COMLEX several times, and there is very little histopathology or histology. Pathophysiology, you bet.

I'm actually not worried about COMLEX. I score highly (600+) on our school's NBOME end of year exam. More worried about step at this point...any tidbits of Goro wisdom on that one? :)

Guys, I need some help..

I've seen dudes on the USMLE forums go from the 210s to the 230-240s. Unless you are aiming for a 260, I think you are in good shape for your base.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Guys, I need some help..

I remember you gunning for Gas. Any score of 230+ is legit unless you're gunning for Ortho, Derm, etc... You got this.

Reactions: 1 users