Need help on When I should take the MCAT??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tremearne7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm graduating undergrad this year and going to work in a research position for the next two years. Then, I plan on taking a postbacc and hopefully applying to med school after that. Since the MCAT only lasts for three years and I also need it to get into the postbacc, I was wondering how I should go about studying for the MCAT. I probably know the material best now, but I'm worried it will expire before I apply to med school and so I would have to do it again. Should I take it now, in a few years? Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would advise taking the MCAT when you have a break between either undergrad, research, or the post bac. I took the MCAT last summer so I could apply this cycle without having to worry about studying while working/in school and it was the best decision I've made. The MCAT takes a ton of study time and FLs consume entire days so taking it when you have not very busy is very advantageous in my opinion.

I couldn't imagine doing as well as I did if I had a full load on top of it