USMLE Need help making a jump in score - not sure what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far my practices are...
UW first pass: 65%
UW second pass: 85% (still very early in my second pass)
Free120: 85% (t-minus 6 weeks)
NBME13: 223 (t-minus 5 weeks)
UWSA1:237 (t-minus 4 weeks)
For what it's worth, COMSAE given by our school 621 (like a 240 step)

I have 4 weeks left. My daily plan involves reading 40 or so pages of FA, doing the corresponding Pathoma videos, then spending a time doing two 40q UW blocks. I'll take a break and spend hte rest of the day doing anki cards, and perhaps some additional videos.

My goal is a 240. What can I do/what resources can I use to get there? I feel like my methods arent helping me retain very well. I don't know what to do at this point..feeling kind of lost.

Members don't see this ad.

Doing all those sounds fantastic and im sure by the time the test comes you'll break through your desired score.

However, it is important to understand why you are doing it. Are you doing it just to get it done, as in, this is your first pass and you just need to do everything once. Or are you already kind of second passing it, in which case you need to focus in on topics you are struggling with. When you review your UWorld blocks are you just looking at the ones you got right, or are you looking at everything, and seeing why wrong answers are wrong, and maybe why you guessed correctly.

I have 3 weeks left and I'm doing pretty much the same thing, but I keep a mental list of things I am struggling with. So that when I watch pathoma videos and read first aid, its not about getting it done, its about focusing on the knowledge that I am struggling with in the topic. I constantly append my anki cards with added information, from pathoma and UWorld to fill in the gaps in my knowledge.

Just take a mental stock of where you are at this point. If tomorrow you need to read 40 pages of neuro, first look at your neuro performance and decide how vital it is for you. Maybe it would be better to read 40 pages of neuro quickly, and reread cardio which you are struggling with, or read only thirty pages, but slower, cause you are struggling with the topic. When you watch Pathoma at 2x, are you really comprehending anything or just "doing the 1st pass". For me when I watch a 30 minute video at 2x, it still takes me 3o minutes, because I need to understand what I'm watching and maybe append some information into my anki cards.

Just keep up, and constantly ask yourself why you're doing something.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user