Need help finding observerships or other experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tommotan

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have obtained observerships after graduating medical school:

1) Can you comment on what you did to find the observership? How long did it take to find one? How broadly did you have to look in the US?

2) Is an observership at an institution that has a GME office strongly preferred? Or can you do something simpler like observe at a small clinic?

3) Did you feel it helped or would you have pursued a different type of experience (e.g. research, teaching, volunteer work, or any other experiences you can think of)?

Members don't see this ad.

I would also like to see answers to these questions. I would appreciate if someone shared their knowledge and advice.

I feel like options for non US IMGs without green card/work permision are very very limited.

Last edited:
Can anyone plz help me regarding getting an observership offer? Can't afford to go through those expensive agencies.. I'm an IMG (malaysian) In dire need of USCE.. plz help!! :(

For those who have obtained observerships after graduating medical school:

1) Can you comment on what you did to find the observership? How long did it take to find one? How broadly did you have to look in the US?

2) Is an observership at an institution that has a GME office strongly preferred? Or can you do something simpler like observe at a small clinic?

3) Did you feel it helped or would you have pursued a different type of experience (e.g. research, teaching, volunteer work, or any other experiences you can think of)?