Need help finalizing GPR/AEGD list!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

faith101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a fourth year dental student trying to finalize my list, need to send my application soon! What I'm looking for is a well rounded program that will teach me everything but with special focus/emphasis on perio and prosth and implant placement. I'm interested in full mouth reconstruction (crown and bridge, overdentures, hybrid dentures etc), cosmetic dentistry, perio surgeries (sinus lifts, crown lengthening, bone grafts and ct grafts, etc), a lot of implant placement and restoration. would be nice to have good endo experience surgical and nonsurgucal. I'm not crazy about extractions or pedo. Invisalign/ortho experience would be nice but not a must. Any one know of good reputable programs that are worth applying to (or bad ones to avoid)? One of the things i'm concerned about is the amount of medical rotations the residency requires, I don't want to be in a residency where rotations are so long that I don't get to do enough dental procedures in the clinic.

I'm looking at programs in the northeast particularly NJ, NY, PA. Please any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your help!

These are programs I read about online but I would really appreciate feedback if you attended or know someone who attended or if you heard anything about it:

Einstein in Philly, VA in Philly, Mt. Sinai, Hackensack UMC, Hackensack Montclair, Newark Beth, St. Luke, Overlook Medical Center, Westchester, JFK, RWJ, Morristown, Rutgers, Kings County, Woodhull, Jersey City medical center, St. Joseph medical center, Bellevue, Northshore LIJ, Jacobi, Jamaica, VA NJ healthcare system, Methodist

Edit: i would like to add Lehigh valley in PA, St Luke in PA, Abington in PA, Stony Brook, Virtua, jersey shoe in neptune nj, montefiore

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Faith. I'm in the same boat as you, with a very similar list that I'm trying to narrow down to 10 programs. A friend of friend goes to NJ Beth Israel, and he seems to really like it there. I heard Einstien and VA in Philly are good. Mt. Sinai is good, but I heard students are very busy and tend to get overwhelmed with workload. It's still on my list but I'm going to need to look more into it. I know someone who goes to Hackensack, but I have no idea if it's UMC or Montclair. I should probably find that out. Anyways she said she liked it there, and gets a few big cases here and there but work is on the slow side. I heard Jacobi and Methodist are good too. Bellevue... eh not sure about it. I've been hearing negative things about it, so it's off my list.

Hope this was somewhat helpful to you. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss more.

BTW, would you happen to know how competitive it is to get into some of these better programs? My stats/ class rank isn't very competitive. I'm wondering if it would be wise to apply to some GPR that are easy to get into. ...but then again, GPR is a waste of time if you get into a ****ty program.

You have both easy and difficult programs on your list. Low stats will not be a complete deal breaker if you have some stellar letters from your school, and I mean a deans letter, not adjunct faculty. Your PS should be well written as well. Poor stats +lackluster LOR's+sloppy PS = recipe for disaster. Now is your moment to put it all together and start your career. I read all the PS's prior to making cuts. I never look at the pictures, not important. I am a GPR PD.

Thanks for your comments. Any more feedback would really help!

Any programs I listed that I should just avoid/wont give me the experience I'm looking for?

Any one else went to or know anything about the programs I listed, any positives or negatives, please share, thanks!

Thanks for your comments. Any more feedback would really help!
Hey Faith, how did the applications go finally? I am a D3 and will be in your same position soon. What would be your recommendations to me? I am also interested in the same fields of dentistry as you mentioned