MD Need Advice! What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hydeblomst4274

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Recently spoke to an advisor who told me my stats are a bit weak to applying for the top schools. Hope to hear your thoughts on my chances.

Dream:
  1. Yale (dream)
  2. UPenn (from Philadelphia and would love to attend)
  3. Columbia
  4. UCSF
  5. Harvard
  6. Stanford
  7. Duke
Target/Reach/Not Sure:
  1. Emory
  2. UMichigan
  3. UChicago
  4. Northwestern
  5. UCSD or UCLA
  6. Brown
  7. Columbia
  8. Mount Sinai
  9. Georgetown
  10. Weill Cornell
  11. Baylor
  12. UNC
  13. Vanderbilt
  14. UVirginia
I don't know a lot about differences between schools, but I am definitely interested in prestige with low-stress quality of life (Pass/Fail system). Not sure if there any threads on this. I'm also interested particularly in Geriatrics and Oncology, if that matters in choosing medical schools. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome!

Ivy League undergrad
Major: Neurobiology & Behavioral Sciences (Bio)
cGPA: 3.78
MCAT: 517 (C/P 131, CARS 127, B/B 129, SOC 130)
ORM

Awards: Fulbright Scholar (during med interviews) on korea's clinical oncology and palliative care
Research: NIH CRTA postbac, Harvard Med summer clinical fellowship, UMass Med summer research fellowship, Australia IRES summer research fellowship, Cornell neuro research
Clinical: Shadowed physicians at Thomas Jefferson, Brigham & Women's, Dana-Farber, NIH Clinical Center (100 hours)
Volunteer: Hospice volunteer, Nursing home volunteer, Teacher in Denmark while studying abroad, Autism sunday school teacher, applying to volunteer at Georgetown Hospital this summer (150 hours)
Leadership: College ambassador, ECAASU representative, co-founded Global Dental Brigades, Biochem TA for 2 semesters
Extracurriculars: Wrote for college newspaper as science staff, welcoming committee in church community, ukulele club

***I will gain more clinical and volunteer experience during the Fulbright, but not sure how to log hours into application that's due on June 1st***

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would not be surprised if you received 8 interviews from your list but I would also not be surprised if it was only 2 or 3. With your stats you could receive an interview at any of those schools. Most of those schools are very competitive with many applicants that are similar to you. Since you are a PA resident add your state schools as safeties: Drexel, Temple, Jefferson and Penn State.

Reactions: 1 user
I would not be surprised if you received 8 interviews from your list but I would also not be surprised if it was only 2 or 3. With your stats you could receive an interview at any of those schools. Most of those schools are very competitive with many applicants that are similar to you. Since you are a PA resident add your state schools as safeties: Drexel, Temple, Jefferson and Penn State.

Thank you for the response! Do you have suggestions whether I should wait another year until after my Fulbright and to interview while in the States?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the response! Do you have suggestions whether I should wait another year until after my Fulbright and to interview while in the States?
It would be much easier to arrange to attend interviews if you are in the USA. Korea would be a long commute and you would need to do it several times.

It would be much easier to arrange to attend interviews if you are in the USA. Korea would be a long commute and you would need to do it several times.

Thank you! I am trying to do so before leaving for Korea, but not sure if schools will contact me early enough.