Need advice and information for career choices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Resident_MD_13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm writing this post to hopefully get a better idea of my situation and what possible outcomes are available to me. The situation did not play out optimally, but I need some constructive criticism.

I was previously an anesthesiology resident with about 3 years of training. I have passed all 3 of my step exams and passed my 1st anesthesia board exam (now taken after CA-1 year). I had a probation period during the latter part of my CA-2 year, but improved and ended the probation period at the beginning of my CA-3. Ultimately though, it was not a great field for me and I felt I had to resign. After some time to think about what to aim for next, I attempted to apply to different specialty but with not much success because of the timing of the ERAS application period.

At this point, I am in the process of getting my M.D. in general practice in the state I currently reside. This way I can look for opportunities to keep up my clinical experience by doing insurance physicals.

If anyone has experienced a similar situation, I need to know whether reentering a residency such as PM&R, IM, or neurology is still possible? or has my record essentially been blacklisted? Or does anyone know who would hold that type of information?

I appreciate everyone's time.

Members don't see this ad.

There are lots of similar posts to yours and the answer to yours is the same...it depends.

Primarily, it depends on why you were put on probation, how that was remedied, and ultimately, the support you will get from your prior PD.

You don't necessarily need to share the answers to those questions here (although you'll bet more helpful answers if you do). But those are the things you need to answer for yourself...and be able to explain in your PS and (hopefully) interviews.

Good luck.

Need more info...

(1) Are you an FMG?
(2) Why were you placed on probation?
(3) Why was Anesthesia not a good fit for you? Did you resign for that reason, or did your PD ask you to?

Since you have a license to practice, you can probably just enroll in an MPH. And work in public health. Since a lot of city/state/and federal public health positions meant for MDOs only require 1 year of residency along with a MPH.

At this point, I am in the process of getting my M.D. in general practice in the state I currently reside.

What? I assume you are an FMG, and are getting a medical license in your state now?

Why did you drop out in the first place?

Read b/w the lines. There is usually only one reason a upper level anesthesia resident leaves the specialty.

Read b/w the lines. There is usually only one reason a upper level anesthesia resident leaves the specialty.

If substance abuse, depending on how he was caught/remediated, might not be able to get a license at all.

If substance abuse, depending on how he was caught/remediated, might not be able to get a license at all.

Thats a big line to read between. Never crossed my mind.

I must be naive!

Reactions: 1 user
If anyone has experienced a similar situation, I need to know whether reentering a residency such as PM&R, IM, or neurology is still possible? or has my record essentially been blacklisted? Or does anyone know who would hold that type of information?

Depending on what the issue was, changing to a less competitive residency is absolutely an option. I'm finishing up in a large residency program, and we average 1 resident drop out/asked to leave every year or so, in line with national averages. Very rarely is it substance abuse or some major personality issue, more often it's just that anesthesiology isn't a good fit. Not every doctor out there can make split-second decisions and act upon them, the ones we have to let go can't get out of the "deer in headlights" look when something goes bad - that's not something you want in your anesthesiologist. The surgery residency here also runs into the same issues.

Those individuals have successfully re-entered residencies in psychiatry, neurology, FM and IM and those are just the ones I know about. No matter what you will need a LOR from your former PD, so be prepared.

Reactions: 2 users
I am a US medical grad. It was not substance abuse related. It mainly was performance issues related to what Admiral Chz mentioned. I was not comfortable making those split second decisions in the setting of max efficiency in the OR setting for the rest of my career. My PD and other staff really believed the field was not for me. I am in good standing with my previous program and they would be willing to write letters.

I just don't have any information or statistics on what my chances are of reapplying through ERAS or open position and achieve success. I don't want to devote months to years of effort for a 5% chance of matching. I am aware there are other areas of employment medicine outside of clinical medicine. I'm just trying to get a better idea of what to do next.

Also, I'm geared toward PM&R as my main specialty of of now. I'm wondering whether it would be better to apply to all PGY positions and repeat my intern year, or apply strictly for pgy-2 and fill the 1 year gap with something else clinically related.

Thanks everyone for their responses

Last edited:
I am a US medical grad. It was not substance abuse related. It mainly was performance issues related to what Admiral Chz mentioned. I was not comfortable making those split second decisions in the setting of max efficiency in the OR setting for the rest of my career. My PD and other staff really believed the field was not for me. I am in good standing with my previous program and they would be willing to write letters.

I just don't have any information or statistics on what my chances are of reapplying through ERAS or open position and achieve success. I don't want to devote months to years of effort for a 5% chance of matching. I am aware there are other areas of employment medicine outside of clinical medicine. I'm just trying to get a better idea of what to do next.

Thanks everyone for their responses
You don't have the statistics because, believe it or not, sometimes, there aren't statistics. Your chances are somewhere between 0 and 100%.

So you have 3 options:
1. Apply in a new specialty that interests you. Assuming you're being truthful here, you're likely to match somewhere.
2. Get a license and practice as a "GP". This will be hard, and you will probably suck at it. But you'll be better than some, which is all it really takes.
3. Non-clinical career. This is also not easy, but options exist. You might hate it...or you might love it.