NECO vs. ICO vs. IAUPR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ICO vs. NECO vs. IAUPR

• ICO

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • NECO

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • IAUPR

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

MizzJas

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I was recently doing some research on the schools I have been accepted to but I still can't decide which one I want to go to. So far I'm liking ICO better since their clinic is attached to the school and the residential complex is just right across the street, but I'm most worried about the high crime rates in Chicago. Can anyone that's living there/have lived there let me know how dangerous/safe Chicago is and what areas are the most dangerous? I also liked NECO because it was in a safer part of town and Boston is safer, but I didn't like that the school didn't have dorms and I wasn't sure what my other options for living were. Can anyone that goes to NECO let me know how much it costs for rent, relatively how far from the school they lived and how long/what kind of transportation they used to get to school? As for IAUPR it was really my backup if I didn't get into any optometry schools. I'm not biased against the school itself but its very far from where I live (Canada) and I don't think I would want to learn Spanish on top the intensive optometry course load, but if there is anyone that really likes it there let me know what you liked about it. Also feel free to let me know about and pros and cons of the schools and the cities. Thank you =)

Members don't see this ad.

You're just going to have to take my word for it, but choose ICO.

Regards to safety, the campus itself is safe and is near another college campus, so you have dual coverage of campus security which both makes themselves visibly present. As for the city itself if you choose to wonder off the campus, just have to be smart like in any big city.

Hi everyone! I was recently doing some research on the schools I have been accepted to but I still can't decide which one I want to go to. So far I'm liking ICO better since their clinic is attached to the school and the residential complex is just right across the street, but I'm most worried about the high crime rates in Chicago. Can anyone that's living there/have lived there let me know how dangerous/safe Chicago is and what areas are the most dangerous? I also liked NECO because it was in a safer part of town and Boston is safer, but I didn't like that the school didn't have dorms and I wasn't sure what my other options for living were. Can anyone that goes to NECO let me know how much it costs for rent, relatively how far from the school they lived and how long/what kind of transportation they used to get to school? As for IAUPR it was really my backup if I didn't get into any optometry schools. I'm not biased against the school itself but its very far from where I live (Canada) and I don't think I would want to learn Spanish on top the intensive optometry course load, but if there is anyone that really likes it there let me know what you liked about it. Also feel free to let me know about and pros and cons of the schools and the cities. Thank you =)

You've got a good three schools to decide between. As someone who goes to IAUPR and someone who knew less than zero Spanish before entering the school, I can tell you that if you can manage your time correctly, you will do well anywhere. Don't believe the rumors, IAUPR is super hard and the course load is intense, but because we are such a small school, we are all one big family. Anyway, any of your three choices are a great choice and good luck wherever you decide! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely would go to ICO, that's the main reason why i'm having trouble choosing between schools! NECO was initially my top choice but after going to the school for my interview, i was really not impressed with the labs and not having the clinic by the school was a no no. Definitely ICO!!

Writing this from the perspective of a student who did not apply to any of these schools. However, I have heard from people who have attended ICO and NECO, and I would say choose ICO.

Their curriculum is established because it's an older school, so you can be sure that they've had time to revise what they teach and make sure they are up to date. Based on discussions with a third-year from NECO, they don't seem to get too much clinic exposure before fourth year. If I am wrong about this, feel free to correct me.
I don't think you should base your decision on how "safe" an area is, but rather what you can get from the experience and how much it will impact your future.

When you go to optometry school you realize that each school is different so you can't really judge if any are "better" than others, but you can try to judge based on curriculum, cost, and opportunity. More established schools have better rotation sites, which you will want so that you can get the best experience you can before you graduate. For that reason, I would say no to IAUPR. Feel free to talk to recent grads from those schools though, or optometrists you may know.

Also consider this - schools that accept students of higher caliber are more likely to help you grow and be better. You will be challenged to keep up with everyone else and it'll be a good educational experience. You can compare across the three schools and see what you think.

Last edited:
Thank you all for replying to my post! =) I just wanted to let you know, that I ended up choosing ICO! I am very excited that I will be spending my next 4 years there to obtain my OD

what were your stats if you don't mind sharing?

Reactions: 1 user
what were your stats if you don't mind sharing?

I don't mind at all, but my marks are on the low side and it is definitely not something I would brag about. I still question how I got accepted when I compare my numbers to last year's acceptance stats

Date OptomCAS submitted: 02/03/2017
Date verified: 02/10/2017
OAT Scores: 330TS/330AA
Major: Chemistry (Bachelor of Science degree obtained)
GPA: 3.18 (Science GPA: ~3.15)
Extracurricular Activities: Shadowed an optometrist for roughly 40 hours (over 4 months), volunteered for undergrad research and heart & stroke foundation
Schools applied: NECO, ICO, MCPHS, IAUPR, WUCO, KYCO
Interviews extended/date: NECO (02/17/2017), MCPHS (02/21/2017), ICO (02/23/2017), WUCO, (03/03/2017), IAUPR (03/06/2017),
Interviews accepted: NECO (03/23/2017), MCPHS (03/24/2017), ICO (03/27/2017), IAUPR (03/31/2017), WUCO (04/28/2017)
Interviews declined: WUCO (I accepted the interview at first but then I got accepted to schools already so I'm about to cancel with them)
Rejections/date: KYCO (didn't get an interview from them)
Acceptance/date: NECO (03/30/2017), MCPHS (03/30/2017), IAUPR (04/05/2017), ICO (04/07/2017)

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you all for replying to my post! =) I just wanted to let you know, that I ended up choosing ICO! I am very excited that I will be spending my next 4 years there to obtain my OD

How have you liked your first years at ICO so far? Are you glad with your choice?