NCC Applicants 2017 (to begin in July 2018)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TUGM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to start this thread for those of us applying for neurocritical care this upcoming cycle. I figure we can post interview dates, impressions, and general questions/concerns.

Good luck to all who are applying and hope to meet some of you on the trail - assuming I get interviews ;).

Members don't see this ad.

I'm right there with you. I have submitted and am currently waiting for responses. Although its really early, I hope they start to trickle in. I look forward to a long 6 months of interviews and waiting.

Good luck to you as well and anyone else whose in our boat. See ya on the trail!

Members don't see this ad :)
Greetings to all. Thanks for starting the forum. I have just submitted the application. I attended a few Neurocritical care interviews last year, so looking forward for some good experiences this year.

Just wanted to start this thread for those of us applying for neurocritical care this upcoming cycle. I figure we can post interview dates, impressions, and general questions/concerns.

Good luck to all who are applying and hope to meet some of you on the trail - assuming I get interviews ;).
You will get interviews and likely match, last year the match percentage was 100%

Last edited:
First interview - Cleveland Clinic Foundation, tentatively 03/28 for me

UCSF, Cedars, and UC Irvine on the books for me.

Reactions: 1 user
First interview - Cleveland Clinic Foundation, tentatively 03/28 for me
Welcome to Cleveland, if you have any questions about the city Im happy to answer you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Did you guys have a lot of research?
I hope enough. A couple of publications in mid-tier journals (nothing like NEJM or Green Journal... not yet ;)). However I'm heavily involved in most research endeavors in my home stroke and ICU deparments, and have had several accepted abstracts and presentations. Don't know how much that really counts for though.

From what I hear it definitely helps, but not necessarily hurts if you don't have it - but probably depends on the specific program's mission.

Anyone hear from UCSF, UCLA, Columbia/Cornell, Hopkins, MGH yet?

Radfish, looks like you got some Cali programs in the bag.... including UCSF you beast.

Research weight will depend on the program. Look at the faculty, which will tell you a lot about the program's mission and ideals. Programs tend to want to train people in their own image. A few papers would be nice if possible, just because it demonstrates your ability to follow-through on projects and it gives us an idea about your overall interests. But its definitely not like every interviewee at MGH or Columbia has a PhD and a Nature publication.

You can do just fine without much research background as long as you don't walk around telling everyone on the interview trail that your plan is to become a fully funded clinician-scientist at a major academic hospital working 6 weeks a year and spending the rest of your time in the lab. People seem to think that's what we want to hear, but in reality few people get to do that, and most of them have a well-informed research direction by your stage. It actually makes us nervous because our goal is to get you where you want to go, and setting up unrealistic expectations is a recipe for failure. It also makes you look like you don't have a clue about how the world works.

So if you're a middle author on two low-level papers on liver metabolism from medical school and have one abstract from AAN about a residency survey you did, don't go telling everyone on the interview trail that you want to write a K08 application for interrogation of SAH inflammation pathways using optogenetics. You can be interested in research, you can be involved in research, and you can be a site-PI for clinical trials and run observational studies without NIH or equivalent funding. For a lot of people in NCC, that's sort of the norm, and you can cultivate those interests during fellowship so you can eventually run projects on the things that interest you during your career.

Reactions: 1 users
haha TUGM, I'm just as surprised as you! Let's just say when we cross paths, it'll be on the west coast...

re: Research, I have a few papers in recognizable journals (only 1 first author) and a bunch of presentations/posters etc. No one would accuse me of being a wannabe-PhD, but no one would accuse me of being lazy either, and I think that's the key.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heard from Baylor, interviewing tentatively on 04/05.

Anyone heard yet from east coast programs yet?

Looks like things are coming in a bit more steadily now. In addition to CCF and Baylor, heard from UTSW (4/19) and Hopkins (3/24). No movement on my radar on northeast or west coast programs yet.

Hope things are swimming along for all you compadres as well.

Got invites from OHSU and UCSD. Anyone have any opinions about either? I'm a big fan of Portland but I haven't been able to find too much about their program.

Hi all! I haven't been on SDN for a bit and just found this thread. I too submitted my application as well (was a little a late to the game). So far I have scheduled interviews at Northwestern, Rush, Umich, OHSU, and UT-Houston. Hope to see you all around the interview trail!

Cumulatively, I've heard from Baylor, UTSW, Cleveland Clinic, University of Maryland, Washington University St. Louis, Johns Hopkins, University of Cincinnati, and University of Pennsylvania so far.

Anyone else hear from west coast or northeast programs yet?

Last edited:
Update: In addition to the above, I have heard from:
- TJU
- Columbia/Cornell
- Duke

As an aside, how many programs are you guys planning on interviewing at?
I don't think my schedule will allow for more than 6-8 interviews.

I applied to 6 and am planning to do all 6. But yeah, I'm not really sure what the norm is on that. PGY3 neuro schedules aren't particularly forgiving so I would be surprised if anyone is able to do much more than that.

Hey guys, are we going to post impressions before our after rank list submission time? Might be helpful to share thoughts before we decide...