NC State University c/o 2022 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the last 45 hours, the NCSU website states graduate courses will be included. How to you calculate the GPA if the gradate courses aren't graded with the traditional A-F, but rather H = high pass, P = Pass, L = low pass and F= fail?
We will default to the last 45 hours graded in the traditional A-F format.

Members don't see this ad.

FROM VMCAS ...
VMCAS The Veterinary Medical College Application Service (VMCAS) application period for the Class of 2022 opens on May 11 and closes on September 15th at midnight EST.

Several new features have been added this year to assist students and admissions personnel with the process, according to Director of Admissions and Recruitment Affairs Tony Wynne. VMCAS has been modified to accept international coursework into the system. Personal essay prompts have been redeveloped from one essay to three to provide institutions with more predictive insights.

Other improvements have been made as the VMCAS platform evolves into a more enterprise wide application management and marketing system.

The new Enrollment Management Platform (EMP) automates inquiries about veterinary medicine and nurtures “leads” from inquiry to application. The former Veterinary Student Engagement System (VSES) will be folded into the EMP to better manage the newsletter system and better target informational newsletters based upon various inquiry fields.

The EMP establishes a unique identifier for applicants that the AAVMC will use to track inquiries throughout the application process and beyond.

Also, the 2018 Veterinary Medical School Admissions Requirements book has been published. This 188-page book contains detailed information to help prospective students navigate the application process, as well as profiles of participating AAMVC member institutions.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I am and OOS student looking at applying to NC state for this cycle but I was calculating my current required course GPA but found I am only at a 3.33 and will not be able to improve that by the time I submit the application. I am confident I can raise it to above a 3.4 by the end of this next semester but the website does say that you need a 3.4 at the time of application. I just wanted to double check and make sure that rule is still standing considering there have been some other changes announced in the thread that have not yet been updated on the website (wishful thinking).

Hey, I am and OOS student looking at applying to NC state for this cycle but I was calculating my current required course GPA but found I am only at a 3.33 and will not be able to improve that by the time I submit the application. I am confident I can raise it to above a 3.4 by the end of this next semester but the website does say that you need a 3.4 at the time of application. I just wanted to double check and make sure that rule is still standing considering there have been some other changes announced in the thread that have not yet been updated on the website (wishful thinking).
There is no change for the non-resident GPA. Applicants must have a 3.4 GPA or greater in all categories at the time of application.

Hello, Is NC State stringent on their credits for prerequisite coursework? For example, I'm a non-traditional student who completed a six credit Organic Chemistry series that included lab. My undergraduate institution instead weighed Biochemistry heavily requiring a six credit Biochemistry series. Am I ineligible to apply to NC State because I'm two credits short in the Organic Chemistry requirement? Thank you for your guidance!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hello, Is NC State stringent on their credits for prerequisite coursework? For example, I'm a non-traditional student who completed a six credit Organic Chemistry series that included lab. My undergraduate institution instead weighed Biochemistry heavily requiring a six credit Biochemistry series. Am I ineligible to apply to NC State because I'm two credits short in the Organic Chemistry requirement? Thank you for your guidance!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
You will need to submit the course description of the Organic Chemistry series to <[email protected]> for review. Thanks for checking in advance!

Look for the supplemental application for the 2018 admissions cycle to open by Friday, June 9, 2017.

I have a question about our experiences on the VMCAS app...

For animal experience, I know that NCSU doesn't count pet ownership. Do you consider livestock ownership to be in the same category? We raise our own meat chickens (and have layers). I wouldn't consider them pets, but they aren't part of a commercial operation.

I have a question about our experiences on the VMCAS app...

For animal experience, I know that NCSU doesn't count pet ownership. Do you consider livestock ownership to be in the same category? We raise our own meat chickens (and have layers). I wouldn't consider them pets, but they aren't part of a commercial operation.
We're looking for experiences beyond companion pet ownership. From your description, I recommend that you include it on your application.

Hi! I am applying this cycle and wanted your opinion on my stats. I have a cumulative GPA of 3.4, a pre req of 3.75 without 4 more courses- which will be completed by May 2018. I also have over 2000 hours of wildlife, small animal, small animal sonographer, large animal, exotics, I have volunteered on the turtle team on campus and have worked at a wildlife center all of my undergrad career. I just took the gre and am worried a bit about my score. I got a 289 and I want to say that is average but I know it's not competitive. Can you please tell me what you think? Thank you! Is there anything I can improve on?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Thanks for being here! How does NCSU handle an unclean background? Felonys? Misdemeanors? Thanks!

Hi! I am applying this cycle and wanted your opinion on my stats. I have a cumulative GPA of 3.4, a pre req of 3.75 without 4 more courses- which will be completed by May 2018. I also have over 2000 hours of wildlife, small animal, small animal sonographer, large animal, exotics, I have volunteered on the turtle team on campus and have worked at a wildlife center all of my undergrad career. I just took the gre and am worried a bit about my score. I got a 289 and I want to say that is average but I know it's not competitive. Can you please tell me what you think? Thank you! Is there anything I can improve on?
Unfortunately, we can't forecast an applicant's chance at selection. I encourage you to review statistics of our most recent first year class on the FAQ page of our web site.

Hi! Thanks for being here! How does NCSU handle an unclean background? Felonys? Misdemeanors? Thanks!
Applicants to the college complete a "campus safety questionnaire." Applicants who answer "yes" to any questions on the questionnaire receive further scrutiny by a university committee.

Hello, I am currently taking animal nutrition through Oklahoma State University Distance learning. If I wanted to apply this cycle when is the latest that I can have this prerequisite, given that I have completed all other prereqs, completed? Thanks

Hello, I am currently taking animal nutrition through Oklahoma State University Distance learning. If I wanted to apply this cycle when is the latest that I can have this prerequisite, given that I have completed all other prereqs, completed? Thanks
All but two (2) of the required courses or labs must be completed by the end of the fall semester of the application cycle. The remaining courses or labs must be completed in the following spring semester. Required courses or labs can’t be completed in the summer semester immediately preceding matriculation. This is a TOTAL of 2 (two courses, two labs, or one course and one lab) in separate prerequisites (i.e., Microbiology and Microbiology lab = 1, Microbiology and Microbiology lab + Statistics = 2, Microbiology and Microbiology lab + Statistics + Physics II Lab = 3).
Education – DVM – Admission Eligibility | NC State Veterinary Medicine

REMINDER...IMPORTANT UPDATE for the 2018 ADMISSIONS CYCLE

The following changes have been made to our admissions requirements for the 2018 admissions cycle:

1. Calculus has been removed as a prerequisite
2. the veterinary experience hour minimum has been reduced from 400 to 200
3. NC Resident GPA minimums are now 3.0 for all three categories: Cumulative, Required and Last 45 Hour

Please note that we are still in the process of updating our printed materials. Additionally, it may take close to one year for changes to be reflected in all AAVMC, VMCAS and VMSAR materials.

Contact the Student Services Office at <[email protected]> if you have any questions.

For entering courses in to the prerequisite category of the supplemental, can we use a course that is more advanced to fulfill a requirement if we got a better grade in it? For instance, if I got a B+ in an intro biology course but an A in a 300 level course, could I do the 300 level? Or swap a B+ in an intro chem class for an A in an upper level course?

How many people are accepted to the DVM/PhD program out of how many applicants? If you apply for that program but don't get in, are you still able to be accepted for just the DVM program? Also, the website was a bit vague about funding. Do you have to pay any tuition from your stipend or is tuition free and you get a stipend?

For entering courses in to the prerequisite category of the supplemental, can we use a course that is more advanced to fulfill a requirement if we got a better grade in it? For instance, if I got a B+ in an intro biology course but an A in a 300 level course, could I do the 300 level? Or swap a B+ in an intro chem class for an A in an upper level course?

How many people are accepted to the DVM/PhD program out of how many applicants? If you apply for that program but don't get in, are you still able to be accepted for just the DVM program? Also, the website was a bit vague about funding. Do you have to pay any tuition from your stipend or is tuition free and you get a stipend?
1. Yes, higher level courses can be used in fulfillment of prerequisites.
2. Only 1 (or 2 depending on funding availability) are accepted each cycle out of 30 to 40 applicants.
3. The PhD portion of the program is funded with tuition, health insurance and a stipend. The DVM portion provides $10,000 toward tuition for the four years of the DVM Program.

The CVM hosts its final summer tour on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 1pm.

We resume the fall tour schedule on Monday, August 14 at 12:30pm.

The fall schedule will offer tours on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 12:30pm while classes are in session.

Hi, I have some questions regarding the in-state application process. Originally, I was out of state, so I haven't looked into this too much, but how does the in-state process work? My family is being relocated to NC at the end of August. How does this now work for my application? What do I have to do to apply as an in-state?

Hi, I have some questions regarding the in-state application process. Originally, I was out of state, so I haven't looked into this too much, but how does the in-state process work? My family is being relocated to NC at the end of August. How does this now work for my application? What do I have to do to apply as an in-state?
The application process is the same for both NC residents and non-residents. If you have moved to NC and completed the residentiary acts, you should apply as a NC resident. If it's been within 12 months (or if there is a question about residency status), you will be asked to prove residency status. Read more about residency status on the NC State web site.

Hi, I also have an additional question regarding course requirements. On the thread it reads that you can substitute a higher level class in place of a lower one. NC State requires Biochemistry I, but I took Biochemistry I and II. I was wondering if I can submit my Biochemistry II grade in place of my Biochemistry I grade? Also, can I submit my Cellular Biology grade in place of my Biology I grade? Thank you in advance for your help!

Hi, I also have an additional question regarding course requirements. On the thread it reads that you can substitute a higher level class in place of a lower one. NC State requires Biochemistry I, but I took Biochemistry I and II. I was wondering if I can submit my Biochemistry II grade in place of my Biochemistry I grade? Also, can I submit my Cellular Biology grade in place of my Biology I grade? Thank you in advance for your help!
I asked that literally in this thread right before you. They said it was fine.

Yes, higher level courses can be used in fulfillment of prerequisites.

I am signing up for the animal nutrition class. Does PO415 Poultry Science Comparative Nutrition fulfill the veterinary school requirement? ANS415 Animal Science is full. Thank you!

Last edited:
I am signing up for the animal nutrition class. Does PO415 Poultry Science Comparative Nutrition fulfill the veterinary school requirement? ANS415 Animal Science is full. Thank you!
Here are the NC State courses that will fulfill the animal nutrition prerequisite:

ANS 225 Principles of Animal Nutrition (3)
ANS 230 Nutrition of Domestic Animals (3)
ANS 415 Comparative Nutrition (3)
NTR/PO 515 Advanced Comparative Nutrition

Human, Plant and species specific (Equine, Swine, etc) Nutrition courses will NOT satisfy this requirement.

Hello, I have a correspondence education animal nutrition course in progress now. What is the latest the course should be completed for it to be included as a prereq for this admissions cycle? I have entered the course on VMCAS as an in progress course, but I was curious when specifically the grade/transcript needs to be received by NCSU.

Hello, I have a correspondence education animal nutrition course in progress now. What is the latest the course should be completed for it to be included as a prereq for this admissions cycle? I have entered the course on VMCAS as an in progress course, but I was curious when specifically the grade/transcript needs to be received by NCSU.
All but two (2) of the required courses or labs must be completed by the end of the fall semester of the application cycle. The remaining courses or labs must be completed in the following spring semester. Required courses or labs can’t be completed in the summer semester immediately preceding matriculation. This is a TOTAL of 2 (two courses, two labs, or one course and one lab) in separate prerequisites (i.e., Microbiology and Microbiology lab = 1, Microbiology and Microbiology lab + Statistics = 2, Microbiology and Microbiology lab + Statistics + Physics II Lab = 3).

Transcripts should be submitted as soon as the grade is posted for the course.

Hello!

I won't be applying for another two years but I have a few questions.

1.) I know you do not require a bachelors degree for admission if all pre-reqs are met. However, does it increase your chance of admission?

2.) Does taking higher level science class at a community college lessen your chances of admission?

Thank you so much!

Hello!

1.) I know you do not require a bachelors degree for admission if all pre-reqs are met. However, does it increase your chance of admission?

2.) Does taking higher level science class at a community college lessen your chances of admission?

Thank you so much!
1. At some schools it helps and some it doesn't

2. Some schools do not accept certain pre reqs from CC like UCD

Edit: just saw this was on NC's post. Sorry I was on mobile and thought it was on a different thread!

Last edited:
Hello

Do you have a deadline for the GRE ?
If I take it again on the 28th of August, am I able to submit those scores for consideration ?

Hello

Do you have a deadline for the GRE ?
If I take it again on the 28th of August, am I able to submit those scores for consideration ?
NC State requires that the GRE scores be received by the university by the VMCAS deadline, September 15. It is our recommendation to take the GRE by August 15 in order to meet the September 15 deadline.
You can take the GRE whenever you choose. However, scores received after September 15 won't be uploaded into the application.

Hello!

Thank you so much!
1. No
2. No

The supplemental application asks: "Did you attend NC State as an undergraduate student while a resident of North Carolina?
If no, please list your state of residence while enrolled as an undergraduate."
I am an Oregon resident but go to school in Indiana. I am unsure whether I am supposed to answer the question with Oregon or Indiana as the response.

The supplemental application asks: "Did you attend NC State as an undergraduate student while a resident of North Carolina?
If no, please list your state of residence while enrolled as an undergraduate."
I am an Oregon resident but go to school in Indiana. I am unsure whether I am supposed to answer the question with Oregon or Indiana as the response.
Respond with your state of legal residence, Oregon.

REMINDER for 2018 Admissions Cycle
VMCAS Deadline - 11:59PM EDT on Friday, September 15, 2017
NC State Supplemental Deadline - 1:00pm EDT on Monday, September 18, 2017

Hi! I'm an applicant that's reapplying to your CVM this cycle. I took the GRE in 2016. I sent my scores to VMCAS last cycle using your code, do I need to resend my scores to you again through VMCAS this cycle? Also, I sent in my most recent transcript to the CVM earlier this year before I was told I was denied acceptance. Do I need to send that again also?

Hello! I am filling out the required courses section of the supplemental application. I know it is required to list any repeated coursework but if the courses were taken at different universities should I still list them as repeated courses? The VMCAS application said to not consider courses repeated if they were not taken at the same university. I took CHEM 261 Intro to Organic Chem I at UNC-CH then recently took CHM 211 Organic Chem I at UNCW. Should I list these courses as repeated on the supplemental application or choose one to list? Thanks!

Hi! I'm an applicant that's reapplying to your CVM this cycle. I took the GRE in 2016. I sent my scores to VMCAS last cycle using your code, do I need to resend my scores to you again through VMCAS this cycle? Also, I sent in my most recent transcript to the CVM earlier this year before I was told I was denied acceptance. Do I need to send that again also?
GRE scores do not need to be resent as long as they are less than five (5) years old.
Applicants must submit new credentials (other than GRE scores) for each admissions cycle.

Hello! I am filling out the required courses section of the supplemental application. I know it is required to list any repeated coursework but if the courses were taken at different universities should I still list them as repeated courses? The VMCAS application said to not consider courses repeated if they were not taken at the same university. I took CHEM 261 Intro to Organic Chem I at UNC-CH then recently took CHM 211 Organic Chem I at UNCW. Should I list these courses as repeated on the supplemental application or choose one to list? Thanks!
Yes, please list repeated courses regardless of institution.

GRE Scores Clarification
All applicants are required to complete the Graduate Record Exam, GRE®, prior to the application cycle. MCAT and DAT scores will not be accepted in lieu of GRE Scores. The ETS code for NC State University is 5496 (no department code is used) and the NC State CVM code is 2250. You may use either code but applicants will only be able to verify receipt of GRE scores through VMCAS by using the 2250 code.

GRE results must be received electronically by NC State University on or before September 15 at 11:59pm. Therefore, it is recommended that you take the test no later than August 15 in order for the complete scores to reach us by the September 15th deadline. Scores are sent from ETS to NC State electronically. Paper copies of GRE scores submitted by applicants are not accepted. Scores that arrive electronically after the September 15th deadline will not be accepted.

Wait, I read somewhere that the GPA cutoff for non-residents was lowered to 3.0?

Wait, I read somewhere that the GPA cutoff for non-residents was lowered to 3.0?
The GPA cutoff for non-residents remains 3.4 in all three categories: Cumulative, Last 45 and Prerequisite.

The GPA cutoff for NC residents was standardized to 3.0 in all three categories: Cumulative, Last 45 and Prerequisite.

The question about non-resident GPA was raised again with the Student Services Office. As a reminder...

The GPA cutoff for Non-Residents remains 3.4 in all three categories: Cumulative, Last 45 and Prerequisite.

The GPA cutoff for NC Residents was standardized to 3.0 in all three categories: Cumulative, Last 45 and Prerequisite.

It is always recommended to access the NC State CVM website or contact the CVM Student Services Office if there is a question about the admissions requirements.