NBME vs UWSA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hockey40

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Planning on taking a practice exam this weekend to gauge where I am at/direct my studying before I start more intensive studying for Step 2. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were in regards to which of these two practice exams would be more beneficial at this point? I'm thinking UWSA is nice because you have explanations and can study from the questions, whereas NBME may be more predictive of the actual score. Thoughts?

I'm taking my exams (DO student) mid-July so I've got some time. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you really got time I would do both. I would recommend UWSA over NBME for many reasons though: 1. it gives explanations, 2. it tends to be more predictive, 3. despite the NBME being real questions the questions on the exam is actually extremely similar to that of UWorld (despite what people have said).

If you really got time I would do both. I would recommend UWSA over NBME for many reasons though: 1. it gives explanations, 2. it tends to be more predictive, 3. despite the NBME being real questions the questions on the exam is actually extremely similar to that of UWorld (despite what people have said).
Thanks for the response, good to hear the real thing is close to UWSA. Ended up getting both UWSA exams. The first one was very good.

Reading previous threads about UWSA vs. NBME makes it seem like the UWSA are more accurate which is great news for me because my NBME scores were all over the place o_O That being said, I recommend taking all the practice exams, I for sure had at least two questions from the Step 1 NBME's show up - verbatim - on my actual exam. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Reading previous threads about UWSA vs. NBME makes it seem like the UWSA are more accurate which is great news for me because my NBME scores were all over the place o_O That being said, I recommend taking all the practice exams, I for sure had at least two questions from the Step 1 NBME's show up - verbatim - on my actual exam. Good luck!
heyy which one was more predictive for you? nbme or uswa?