NBDE part 1 from scratch, best method to study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi there,
I finished dental school in 2008, after many years trying to start studying for the boards I finally got serious about it.
I got all my credentials evaluated and started the process of organizing my life and work schedule around my studies, I was concerning if been graduated 10 years ago would be an issue, but apparently isn't.
I have been working as a hygienist for almost 9 years. As right now I'm planning to study for 6 months + to cover part one. I'm a little confused how can I get the most of my time, I need a good study plan to go trough the material without been stuck or mentally irritated.
Now I'm focus in microbiology first ( Kaplan, Firsrt aid, Dentin, Decks) , I will follow biochem and the anatomy, but I don't know what is the best strategy.
Please let me know how did you do in your test and what experiences can you share with me.
Thanks

Evets

Members don't see this ad.

My two cents would be to first read the official NBDE guide to get an idea of the exam format and the breakdown by sections. I studied for part 1 5 years out of dental school so don't worry too much about it. Once you start reading, some of the material will come back to you. I stuck to just the decks, first aid and released exams. More important than studying from multiple sources is to limit yourself to 2-3 and revise as much as you can. I finished each subject from decks first and then completed first aid and papers for that subject.
You are giving yourself enough time. Start studying and don't forget to take breaks. Don't saturate yourself. I studied over 4-5 months while working full time and made sure I took Sunday's off to refresh my mind.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you very much for your advised.
I was tempting to go back and for from Micro and Biochem.
Should I mix subjects or finish Micro and the go to Biochem?
I have the break down of the questions but I dot know if is a good idea to dismiss those areas that present few or less questions, what your thoughts about that?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not advice dismissing any areas. You have enough time to cover the whole syllabus. About mixing subjects, it depends on you completely. Maybe study the way you feel most comfortable. I personally started with dental anatomy and occlusion since that was the easiest subject and gave me some confidence when I wrapped it up.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you very much for your advised.
I was tempting to go back and for from Micro and Biochem.
Should I mix subjects or finish Micro and the go to Biochem?
I have the break down of the questions but I dot know if is a good idea to dismiss those areas that present few or less questions, what your thoughts about that?
I'm planning to give exam in April need studypartner

Hello
I have ur exact same situation ! I graduated in 2008 and tried to study couple of times but I didn't have the enough time to do so
I finally do now but I'm all confused from where to start !
I studied before dental anatomy and occlusion and I did just fine from only the dental decks
But now I started the physiology I find it all mixed up I can't really understand from the decks only
The information is not organized unless it takes a lot of time to google what I don't understand
I bought Kaplan lecture notes book and first aid book but I'm confused where to start first ! I donno what to do even the subjects seems different organization in each one
Can anyone help me please I really need to use my time and study san I may not have this chance again
Thank u
I just need what can organize my study cuz between these 3 sources I feel lost !

Hello
I have ur exact same situation ! I graduated in 2008 and tried to study couple of times but I didn't have the enough time to do so
I studied before dental anatomy and occlusion and I did just fine from only the dental decks
But now I started the physiology I find it all mixed up I can't really understand from the decks only
The information is not organized unless it takes a lot of time to google what I don't understand
I bought Kaplan lecture notes book and first aid book but I'm confused where to start first ! I donno what to do even the subjects seems different organization in each one
Can anyone help me please I really need to use my time and study san I may not have this chance again
Thank u
I just need what can organize my study cuz between these 3 sources I feel lost !
I am looking for a study partner, I finally get organized and have a study plan. Relying on Kaplan notes and complemented with decks. I will do first aid when I'm more familiar with the subject. I'm in micro first. I dental anatomy but found that is better to do that at the end since has more material to cover for the test.
Let me know what's your plan and how we can help each other.

I am looking for a study partner, I finally get organized and have a study plan. Relying on Kaplan notes and complemented with decks. I will do first aid when I'm more familiar with the subject. I'm in micro first. I dental anatomy but found that is better to do that at the end since has more material to cover for the test.
Let me know what's your plan and how we can help each other.
Great to know u have a plan
What's ur email address ?

Hi. I am a foreign trained dentist from Indonesia graduated in 2009. I plan to take the test on late May. Studying from scratch. Does dental decks really sufficient and cover anything?
I am wondering if some of these subjects new to you too. I don't recall most of these were taught during my 4 years of dental school. =::
Does anyone have a link for the release exam?
Would love to have a study partner.

Hi. I am a foreign trained dentist from Indonesia graduated in 2009. I plan to take the test on late May. Studying from scratch. Does dental decks really sufficient and cover anything?
I am wondering if some of these subjects new to you too. I don't recall most of these were taught during my 4 years of dental school. =::
Does anyone have a link for the release exam?
Would love to have a study partner.

Hi sorry just saw ur msg
Did U start yet?

Hello
Thank u
Hi Jasmine I'm in a similar situation too.. Graduated in 2008 now planning to appear.. Where are you based. May I pls have your email id

Hi friends,
I am new to this forum. I am a foreign trained dentist from India. Graduated in 2011. I recently moved to USA and i think its time for me to prepare for nbde part 1. I can be a good study partner. Anyone starting to prepare please reply.

Thank you

Hi sorry just saw ur msg
Did U start yet?
Hi Jasmine,
Have you started preparation. I would like to have a study partner. Please reply If interested.

Thank you

Hi friends,
I am new to this forum. I am a foreign trained dentist from India. Graduated in 2011. I recently moved to USA and i think its time for me to prepare for nbde part 1. I can be a good study partner. Anyone starting to prepare please reply.

Thank you
Hey I am interested. Can you send in your details and we can decide henceforth?

Hi Jasmine,
Have you started preparation. I would like to have a study partner. Please reply If interested.

Thank you
Hi I started and then stopped but should be starting again next week
What about u

Hi I started and then stopped but should be starting again next week
What about u
Hey .. how's it going? I am gonna start preparing for NBDE and was wondering if you found a partner?

Hi I m also interested gonna start from scratch..you guys need a partner?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Hello how far r u in the study
I need a partner too
Hi there Jasmin. I am currently studying for part I and if I can be helpful just let me know!. I am starting Anatomy and already did Physiology.

Hi there Jasmin. I am currently studying for part I and if I can be helpful just let me know!. I am starting Anatomy and already did Physiology.
Hi I should be starting again Next week cuz I had some distractions
What did u study so far?