NBDE part 1 breakdown --- 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

renyun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently passed my NBDE I and would like to share my experience with you. Before I start I just want to say that I am grateful for SDN pre/dental community. The breakdowns written from dental students before me really served as a valuable resource when I was studying for DATs, applying to dental schools, and most recently for the NBDE Is. Thought I would finally contribute back with a breakdown of my own. I want to put a disclaimer that: these are my own experiences and how I approach studying; it will not work for everyone so please take my breakdown with a grain of salt and tailor to your own needs.

Before planning your plan of attack, I highly recommend looking at ADA’s breakdown of the topics covered on this exam. Remember we only need a 75% not a 100% to pass. With 400 random questions and only a limited amount of time to study, I knew for me there was no way to know everything on this exam. Instead, I focused on my strengths and did not bother with topics I knew little/nothing about (which for me were neuro, reproduction, and anything below the head and neck).

I spent a solid three weeks preparing for this exam. Around 8-10 hours a day. By end of second week, I had finished studying and used the last week reviewing and going over old ADA released exams.

The materials I used were:

1) Dentin (aka board busters): I only studied from this book and supplemented using google and youtube. Someone had told me that this book has everything you need to pass and I agree. This book does NOT attempt to cover every topic on the exam or explain topics great deal so for those who like books that goes into in depth explanations, this is NOT the book for you. What this book does however is cram everything you need to pass into a compact form. I thought the book itself was disorganized (though people has told me that it is more organized than the decks) and I did find some errors on my 2016 copy but overall I am very satisfied with it and would recommend it for those who like me are: crammers, like compact explanations over in depth ones and are good at memorizing facts that don’t seem to be related to one another.

a. Please don’t ask me about how Dentin compares with other review books because I would not know. I only used this book and this book alone.

2) Dental Board Mastery app: I used this in conjunction with Dentin. Whenever I finished a topic in Dentin, I would do questions related to that topic on the app to reinforce what I learned. I LOVE this app and I recommend this app to eveyrone. I have friends who only used this app and passed and while I would not recommend it, it certainly shows its ingenuity. While I found its mnemonics silly and frankly useless, I like the in depth explanations it gives for each question and why others are wrong. Before I took my exam, I had done all the questions on the app and reviewed all the ones I marked. Overall this is a great study tool especially when you want to break the monotony of studying from a book.

3) Released ADA exams: I did only 3 exams. I was able to answer about 50-60% of the questions correctly.

4) For the dental anatomy section, I relied on youtube from a guy who is behind “300 dental anatomy facts to ace the boards.” I strongly recommend watching that video and his videos on dental anatomy and occlusion (picket fence and learn occlusion in 5 min). His videos and Dentin are more than enough for you to ace the dental anatomy proportion of the exam.

Lastly, when you are taking the exam, remember to pace yourself! The exam is 7+ hours long, it is NOT a sprint but more of an endurance run so don’t burn yourself out in trying to finish everything at once. I highly recommend using that optional 1 hour break to take a breather, eat, and relax.

This is all I did to prepare myself for part I.

Good luck guys and happy studying!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Awesome, thanks for sharing and congratulations ! How would you compare the exam with the ADA exams ? Is it the same level or tougher ?

Awesome, thanks for sharing and congratulations ! How would you compare the exam with the ADA exams ? Is it the same level or tougher ?

Hi~
I personally felt the old ADA exams were significantly easier than actual exam. But please keep in mind what kind of questions you will get on the actual exam is totally random. I might have just gotten a more difficult set of questions.

Hi~
I personally felt the old ADA exams were significantly easier than actual exam. But please keep in mind what kind of questions you will get on the actual exam is totally random. I might have just gotten a more difficult set of questions.

That's what I have heard from others as well, thanks for confirming.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you and others who have taken part 1 recently comment on whether the exam equally distributes the 400 Questions by the 4 subjects ? I mean did any of the exam takers feel that the exam was biased towards one subject ? I understand that there is overlap between the subjects but still wanted to get an idea. Thanks.

Could you and others who have taken part 1 recently comment on whether the exam equally distributes the 400 Questions by the 4 subjects ? I mean did any of the exam takers feel that the exam was biased towards one subject ? I understand that there is overlap between the subjects but still wanted to get an idea. Thanks.
Mine was pretty evenly distributed.

Hi everyone,

I recently passed my NBDE I and would like to share my experience with you. Before I start I just want to say that I am grateful for SDN pre/dental community. The breakdowns written from dental students before me really served as a valuable resource when I was studying for DATs, applying to dental schools, and most recently for the NBDE Is. Thought I would finally contribute back with a breakdown of my own. I want to put a disclaimer that: these are my own experiences and how I approach studying; it will not work for everyone so please take my breakdown with a grain of salt and tailor to your own needs.

Before planning your plan of attack, I highly recommend looking at ADA’s breakdown of the topics covered on this exam. Remember we only need a 75% not a 100% to pass. With 400 random questions and only a limited amount of time to study, I knew for me there was no way to know everything on this exam. Instead, I focused on my strengths and did not bother with topics I knew little/nothing about (which for me were neuro, reproduction, and anything below the head and neck).

I spent a solid three weeks preparing for this exam. Around 8-10 hours a day. By end of second week, I had finished studying and used the last week reviewing and going over old ADA released exams.

1) Dentin (aka board busters): I only studied from this book and supplemented using google and youtube. Someone had told me that this book has everything you need to pass and I agree. This book does NOT attempt to cover every topic on the exam or explain topics great deal so for those who like books that goes into in depth explanations, this is NOT the book for you. What this book does however is cram everything you need to pass into a compact form. I thought the book itself was disorganized (though people has told me that it is more organized than the decks) and I did find some errors on my 2016 copy but overall I am very satisfied with it and would recommend it for those who like me are: crammers, like compact explanations over in depth ones and are good at memorizing facts that don’t seem to be related to one another.

a. Please don’t ask me about how Dentin compares with other review books because I would not know. I only used this book and this book alone.

2) Dental Board Mastery app: I used this in conjunction with Dentin. Whenever I finished a topic in Dentin, I would do questions related to that topic on the app to reinforce what I learned. I LOVE this app and I recommend this app to eveyrone. I have friends who only used this app and passed and while I would not recommend it, it certainly shows its ingenuity. While I found its mnemonics silly and frankly useless, I like the in depth explanations it gives for each question and why others are wrong. Before I took my exam, I had done all the questions on the app and reviewed all the ones I marked. Overall this is a great study tool especially when you want to break the monotony of studying from a book.

3) Released ADA exams: I did only 3 exams. I was able to answer about 50-60% of the questions correctly.

4) For the dental anatomy section, I relied on youtube from a guy who is behind “300 dental anatomy facts to ace the boards.” I strongly recommend watching that video and his videos on dental anatomy and occlusion (picket fence and learn occlusion in 5 min). His videos and Dentin are more than enough for you to ace the dental anatomy proportion of the exam.

Lastly, when you are taking the exam, remember to pace yourself! The exam is 7+ hours long, it is NOT a sprint but more of an endurance run so don’t burn yourself out in trying to finish everything at once. I highly recommend using that optional 1 hour break to take a breather, eat, and relax.

Hi there...congrats.i m planning to take test October 2016.i m from India n have some quarries ....can u help....can I contact u somehow...thanks..my email [email protected]

Does the latest NBDE 1 format include pictures of teeth for identification/other questions with images ?

Does the latest NBDE 1 format include pictures of teeth for identification/other questions with images ?
I don't remember getting any questions from dental anatomy which included pictures. Maybe another person can comment on that.

I believe the official NBDE guide does give a breakdown of how many test lets can be expected in the exam. It might help if you read through it.

Were there any repeated questions from the released ASDA exams? I mean word-for-word exact duplicates? If not, were there any questions that were similar to the released ASDA exams, but worded in a different way? For example, the answer choices might be the same, but the question is worded differently so that another answer choice is the correct answer. Was there anything like that going on?
There were similarly worded questions but not a lot. From what I remember, I got about 3-4 questions. No word for word questions.

Hi everyone,

Hi! Thanks for sharing all this..

Hi! I am new to forum, i am planning to study for NBDE exams in 2017 so also looking for study partner..

Is there a link for study partners search.. Not sure how does this website works yet to explore it I guess

How about the subject matter? If a released exam question asked about a certain subject, would it be efficient for us to focus our studies on that subject area and know it inside out? Or did you find the exam asking about subject matter that was different from the released exams?

To be honest, my exam was totally random. There were topics that I have never seen before and talking to my classmates it seems like the questions are random and what you get will be different from someone else. I say instead of focusing on topics found on old exams, put most of your effort on core topics and use released exams as a supplement.

Hi everyone,

Hi, thank you for sharing ur experience. Did you memorize the whole book?