navy HPSP $20K signing bonus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iLuvDAT

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is this just a limited time "promotion"? i read somewhere that it's only for people who sign the contract between 06-07?

Members don't see this ad.

It has nothing to do with a "Promotion". It is a monetary bonus for attracting dentists to the Navy. There is no other benefit other than lining your pockets with $20k.

my question is whether the bonus is permanent or just for the 06-07 cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a bit confused. Hopefully some of you bright Navy officers can help me out. Over my past few years as as a commisioned officer, I have always been under the assumption that all DOD dentists/physicians get the same amount of money/benifits. I am still pretty sure this is the case for AD, but it seems to be different while on HPSP. On AD, we all get the same BAH (depending on area), BAS, Base pay, ASP, VSP, ISP (surgeons) depending on rank/years/credentials. I know that when one branch wants a bonus, then they often have to convience the other branches to go along with it. All or none philosophy.

How is it possible then that the Navy can give the $20K HPSP bonus? I am pretty up to date on the AF happenings and I have yet to hear anything about this. I tried to seach it today and I found nothing. Plus as stated in a previous thread, the Navy will pay for laptops and the AF won't. Is the Navy just promoting this better than the AF/Army, or is it really something only the Navy offers?

OK - coming from the military side, we look at 'promotion' as a bump up in rank. I wasn't thinking of the definition as to promote the navy to attract dentists. Sorry for misunderstanding you. As for permanent, no. Does that mean it won't happen next year? No. They just have to extend it into the future from the date of expiration of the offer. It will really depend on how they are doing in recruiting dentists.

thanks, navy dds. it's kinda odd that the navy came up with this bonus deal at last minute for 06-07 cycle, I mean, it would be a good incentive to attract dentists if this announced at the beginning of the cycle so that those who wants to join army or air force would probably choose navy because of the extra cash. I would say that at least half of people on 06-07 navy HPSP wasn't expecting the 20K, or were happy with the original deal w/o cash incentive. What's the point of giving extra cash to those who already signed the contracts?

Typically, when money is concerned, it involves money for the fiscal year in the military. So, if they allot money for a fiscal year of HPSP scholarships, then they pay it to everyone who fell within that fiscal year. Not always, but usually.

In 1996, they ended up giving a $30k bonus which really made a couple of my classmates happy just before Christmas even though they already had the scholarship.

So did they extend the bonus into 1997 after 96?
based upon your past experience, what's the chance of this promo being extended into next cycle? I am about to choose between navy and air force.

I think I remember my recruiter mentioning that they (the Navy) needed to use all the money by the end of the fiscal period, which I think is Sept. This would make sense because it would be hard to ask Congress for more money if they weren't using all that they were getting in the first place. I think the DOD fiscal period runs from Oct to Sept, but I am not sure. The AF has the biggest budget and the Marines the smallest, which makes sense given it is the smallest force and is a division of the Navy.

At last check, the Navy was hitting its numbers for HSCP, but falling short on HPSP. See slide 17 specifically HERE

The Army, in particular, is in a tight spot having to literally fight the war monetarily and with manpower, so there is not going to much left over for much else. I am assuming this is going to mean more AF and Navy medical and other personnel are going to be sent overseas to support the Army in Iraq.

Regardless of the branch, Uncle Sam can utilize you in a variety of ways and most likely will.

At first glance, it would lend to reason that the AF would have a program similar to the HSCP, but they really don't need it. The AF is getting all the applicants it needs and is in many respects downsizing as in the Navy also, while the Army and Marines are getting larger to confront the ongoing war on terror. And who knows where that is going?

The attached document might clarify things, and it might not, but it is the most current data that I have. It was sent to me via email by my recruiter. I am not a 100% sure on any of it. In fact, I don't think the branches are either. They are reacting to the problem as best they know how. I am giving them the benefit of the doubt in that regard. I really hope things are ironed out. It really streses everyone even further when there is insufficient manpower, pardon the pun.

This might also elucidate. http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-01-23-navy-air-troops_x.htm

Attachments

• 00MC newsletter Aug 07.doc
    66 KB · Views: 326
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']"HPSP update.[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']: HPSP continues to fall short in recruiting. The good news is that last month funds for a $20K Critical Skills Accession Bonus (CSAB) were identified. We are now in a position to offer this $20K signing bonus to all FY2007 and FY2008 HPSP takers. Currently the Navy is the only service that has funded the CSAB, and there is also optimism that the monthly stipend to HPSP enrollees may be increased in the near future. As of 30 July the projections for HPSP fills this year are still at 60%, 175 of 290 available slots.".

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']So both 07 and 08 can get the bonus? .

Just a quick clarification to the Navy Reserve Recall statement above. That number of 5 just means that the Navy is only going to allow for 5 Navy Reserve Dentist to request a recall to active duty. It does not mean that the Navy is going to recall 5 Dentists to active duty.

Navy medical and dental supports the Marines, so if the Marines are growing, why isn't the Navy growing in med/dent as well?

That would make a lot of sense, doesn't it? Here are some things the Navy is doing instead to deal with the shortage:
1. MMSO (Military Medical Support Office)
2. Expanded function techs
3. More $$ for general dentists
4. Specialty training

Check out http://www.pdhealth.mil/downloads/MMSO_RC_Brochure_203_20Feb_202003.pdf
I haven't had to deal with MMSO personally, but from what I hear, it's great for the civilian dentists around the military bases.
Expanded functions is a joke in my opinion. Can you trust an assistant who gets a few months of training to place class I, II, V restorations? Would you let them work on your spouse? I wouldn't. But hey, some of those leaders really think this is the answer to the dentist shortage.

Is the AF or Army using MMSO much? Expanded function?

Just a quick clarification to the Navy Reserve Recall statement above. That number of 5 just means that the Navy is only going to allow for 5 Navy Reserve Dentist to request a recall to active duty. It does not mean that the Navy is going to recall 5 Dentists to active duty.

Allow to make a recall? I would think they'd allow more than 5, given their previous experience and our current shortages. Maybe they just hope that 5 people will request it. Or maybe the goal is that 5 will request it? I also don't think they call people up on it, the slide was just vague.

That would make a lot of sense, doesn't it? Here are some things the Navy is doing instead to deal with the shortage:
1. MMSO (Military Medical Support Office)
2. Expanded function techs
3. More $$ for general dentists
4. Specialty training

Check out http://www.pdhealth.mil/downloads/MMSO_RC_Brochure_203_20Feb_202003.pdf
I haven't had to deal with MMSO personally, but from what I hear, it's great for the civilian dentists around the military bases.
Expanded functions is a joke in my opinion. Can you trust an assistant who gets a few months of training to place class I, II, V restorations? Would you let them work on your spouse? I wouldn't. But hey, some of those leaders really think this is the answer to the dentist shortage.

Is the AF or Army using MMSO much? Expanded function?

The Army used to train all of their military "hygienists" in expanded functions (I think it is a separate course now.) I'm not really sure how often they were utilized. In my ten years, I performed expanded functions for about a year in 1994-1995. For the first month, the dentist I was working with stood over my shoulder watching me like a hawk until he felt I was competent (at least I hope he felt that way.)

In the beginning, I only placed relatively easy restorations, but was gradually allowed to do more difficult ones. I don't believe I ever placed any class V restorations. After that year, I pcs'd. I spent the rest of my time in field units and clinics with shortages of hygienists and spent almost all of my time doing prophies. I never met any other hygienists who had utilized their expanded functions training (although I'm sure there were some.)

I'm a bit confused. Hopefully some of you bright Navy officers can help me out. Over my past few years as as a commisioned officer, I have always been under the assumption that all DOD dentists/physicians get the same amount of money/benifits. I am still pretty sure this is the case for AD, but it seems to be different while on HPSP. On AD, we all get the same BAH (depending on area), BAS, Base pay, ASP, VSP, ISP (surgeons) depending on rank/years/credentials. I know that when one branch wants a bonus, then they often have to convience the other branches to go along with it. All or none philosophy.

How is it possible then that the Navy can give the $20K HPSP bonus? I am pretty up to date on the AF happenings and I have yet to hear anything about this. I tried to seach it today and I found nothing. Plus as stated in a previous thread, the Navy will pay for laptops and the AF won't. Is the Navy just promoting this better than the AF/Army, or is it really something only the Navy offers?

Let me give this a shot. Your base pay as well as any 'allowances' are entitlements and as you know are handled at the DOD/congressional level. Anything with an "SP" in it, for speical pay(s), while originating in congressional language, is determined at the Asst Sec Def for Health Affairs (also known as just 'Health Affairs' or HA or OSDHA or sometimes even just TRICARE). At HA, there is a panel of Army, AF, and Navy Medical Deparment officers, along with some career civilians, that make up the Health Professions Incentive Working Group (HPIWG). These folks are the ones that come up with new special pays, decide what to ask for as far as amount and who gets what. They don't get the final vote but have to ask up the chain in HA and DOD to get approval to implement a new SP or change the level/amount of an existing special pay. This is what Snozberries is referring to about all the sevices having the same special pay rates, and indeed, the intent of the HPIWG is to defuse compeition between the services based on inequities in pay----and it usually works pretty well.

Now to the issue of the Navy HPSP Accession Bonus. Not sure of the relationship of AF and Army Medicine to the AF and Army line; however in the Navy, the accession, manpower, promotion, and end strength parts all come under Chief of Naval Personnel(CNP) for cognizance and review. In this particular case, CNP recognized that Navy HPSP efforts were hurting and prescribed a type of service specific fix called a Critical Skills Accession Bonus (CSAB) for those willing to sign a Navy HPSP contract. This type of bonus is authorized and paid for by line Navy so never makes it to the HPIWG level or above. Navy uses it (and maybe so do the other services ???) to target specific communities that need help; it is not however genereated at the HA level and hence may appear that Navy wasn't playing fair at the table by implementing it.

To put things on a more level playing field I believe this is addressed in the FY08 or FY09 appropriations bill with insertion of language to start an accession bonus across all three services (PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THIS AS I HAVE ONLY HEARD OF IT AND NOT SEEN THE LANGUAGE WITH MY OWN EYES). But it does make sense given the desire to keep things even across the board.

Phew, probably more than you ever wanted to know, huh?

Thanks for the compliment Snozberries!!

is this just a limited time "promotion"? i read somewhere that it's only for people who sign the contract between 06-07?

The current Navy Accession Bonus is actually titled a Critical Skills Accession Bonus (CSAB), is $20K, and is available to Medical and Dental HPSP students who signed up after 01 October 2006. It is funded currently for 06-07 only becuase Navy does not have it's 08 budget yet but the expecation is that if they are still short of dentists (duh!) they will continue this program and find the money. This year it should be placed in the 09 budget so that when the time rolls around the money is there.

One thing about this type of Bonus is that it is originated and approved by the Line Navy on a year to year basis depending on the "need" in the particular officer community that needs help. So it can be a year to year thing that will eventually go away when Line Navy thinks the DC does not have any manning issues in it's accession pipeline. Any money that is programmed for this Bonus in the out years is simply transferred to another program.:D

Thanks for the info. I actually got the answer today. To sum it up for those not familiar with military/service lingo...

The Navy is giving the $20K bonus because, since they are at a critical need for dentists, they "asked" to give the signing bonus. This would be available to the AF and Army, but they are not at the same "low" levels. The Army may ask for it soon, but the AF has shown no interest in the bonus because the are meeting/close to meeting their needs.

From navy.com:

*Navy HPSP recipients who sign up before 9/30/08 are eligible to receive a $20,000 sign-on bonus. Contact a Navy Medical Recruiter for details.

Looks like they extended signing bonuses for one more year. However, the word "eligible" makes it seem that not ALL HPSP recipients will be getting that bonus.

Edit: I didn't realize this was the dentistry forum when making the initial post (I went to this thread from another link). Perhaps the extended year for bonuses only applies for med students?

Let me add what I know here.. I met with an AF recruiter last week and his response on this question was on the same line as SNOZBERRIES': Navy is under a much heavier recruiting pressure than the other branches, and since they couldn't meet the scholarship quota, there is fund left so they can offer the bonus.

Each branch decide how many 3yr/4yr HPSP spaces they need to fill for a facial year, depending on recruit in other areas and the attrition rate of dentists, and allocate an appropriate budget. So when slots left unfilled, there is that saved money, which is reflected badly in the eyes of budget approvers! That's why each branch has different slots every year and when it's filled, there's no more money to be given. This is separate from the base pay, housing/food allowance, specialty bonus...etc you receive after graduating because that depends on rank and money comes from DOD.

So what if I do the one year scholarship? Can I still get the sign bonus?

Just a heads up about the 20K sign on bonus.

If you take it, you're signing up for 4 years.

I'm presently applying for the 3 year scholarship and was given the opportunity to apply to get the 20K, but it's an extra year payback and they DO NOT back pay the tuition from 1st year.

It wasn't worth it for me, but:

It's a great deal if you're going for the 4 year scholarship.