Navy FTOS Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

narcusprince

Rough Rider
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question to all. What pay and entitlements are you getting when doing an FTOS fellowship? Also, specifically what institution do Anesthesia Critical Care and Cardiac fell fellows do their FTOS fellowships?

Members don't see this ad.

In re pay/entitlements (this is applicable to all services to the best of my knowledge): base pay based on rank and TIS, after board certification you get BC pay (retroactive to the date of test), ASP (the 15K in the summer), ISP (specialty specific), VSP, BAS and BAH. If you are FTOS/civilian sponsored then you are an AD physician and eligible for all the AD physician pays someone in your specialty can get.

Last edited:
As to location, you can do it at any civilian program.

Members don't see this ad :)
The one caveat I'd include is that you're not supposed to moonlight or receive payment for your professional services while in an FTOS status. So instead of getting paid for teaching classes or receiving honoraria for speaking at conferences like the other fellows, I had it added to my department's "education" fund and used it for refreshments at journal club. In order to accept travel funding for conferences from the department or what not , we were supposed to have those reviewed by NMPTE. (something about ensuring that the funds were available to all trainees and conferences were a "required" part of the curricula.) Not difficult, but took some pre-planning.

The one caveat I'd include is that you're not supposed to moonlight or receive payment for your professional services while in an FTOS status.
Is this in writing somewhere? How would they know?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but while FTOS: you don't have to really answer to anyone in the military chain of command, right? Except for perhaps twice a year for the PRT? Are you subjected to random UAs, do you have to show up for anything else, how do they know you're still alive!?

Is this in writing somewhere? How would they know?
Yes, it's in the GME instruction and is also told to you multiple times. They probably wouldn't find out, but you wouldn't have malpractice coverage unless you purchased it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but while FTOS: you don't have to really answer to anyone in the military chain of command, right? Except for perhaps twice a year for the PRT? Are you subjected to random UAs, do you have to show up for anything else, how do they know you're still alive!?

For Navy you are assigned to a local command, usually a ROTC unit or if nearby an MTF. Your requirements will vary based on what your command wants, but all must complete the PRT. They know you are alive because your program has all the Navy contact info and if you don't show up they'll start calling. You'll also have to submit fit reps.

Hey everyone, resurrecting a previous thread. The process is a little confusing, especially with the restructured pay documentation for the Navy.

I'm currently in the NADDS program for residency. I got selected for an FTOS fellowship spot next year. At this point, I'm awaiting orders and will go active duty 1 July when I start my fellowship. I will be assigned to a local ROTC unit in the area where my fellowship is.

I was reading through the specialty pays section and from what I gather, I will be eligible for ISP starting after 1 Oct. But, after reading it a few times, I couldn't figure out if I'd be eligible for ASP as well. If I am eligible for ASP, do I request my CO send the paperwork when I first report to the unit (or do I have to wait until 1 Oct for that too)? I know I will not get BCP until after I complete the part II of my boards following fellowship. I don't believe there is a pays section at the ROTC unit, so I was trying to iron out most of the details prior to graduating to minimize the lost money.

I appreciate any help or suggestions.

Hey everyone, resurrecting a previous thread. The process is a little confusing, especially with the restructured pay documentation for the Navy.

I'm currently in the NADDS program for residency. I got selected for an FTOS fellowship spot next year. At this point, I'm awaiting orders and will go active duty 1 July when I start my fellowship. I will be assigned to a local ROTC unit in the area where my fellowship is.

I was reading through the specialty pays section and from what I gather, I will be eligible for ISP starting after 1 Oct. But, after reading it a few times, I couldn't figure out if I'd be eligible for ASP as well. If I am eligible for ASP, do I request my CO send the paperwork when I first report to the unit (or do I have to wait until 1 Oct for that too)? I know I will not get BCP until after I complete the part II of my boards following fellowship. I don't believe there is a pays section at the ROTC unit, so I was trying to iron out most of the details prior to graduating to minimize the lost money.

I appreciate any help or suggestions.

the jul/oct thing is going away with the consolidated pays. what medical command do you fall under? I would ask them-- or, your closest navy hospital should have a special pays person (at least we do in the army) who can probably help sort this out.

--your friendly neighborhood legacy pay until july caveman

the jul/oct thing is going away with the consolidated pays. what medical command do you fall under? I would ask them-- or, your closest navy hospital should have a special pays person (at least we do in the army) who can probably help sort this out.

--your friendly neighborhood legacy pay until july caveman

Appreciate the reply. Right now everything is handled through NAVMED. I'm in Texas right now without a close Navy command. I think there may be a medical clinic unit in Corpus I can contact if I run into issues.

Appreciate the reply. Right now everything is handled through NAVMED. I'm in Texas right now without a close Navy command. I think there may be a medical clinic unit in Corpus I can contact if I run into issues.

The Navy FTOS person in BuMed who you've probably already had contact with is FANTASTIC and can guide you through pretty much everything you need.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app