Navy Family Medicine Residency Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toxic MegaTrollin'

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks -

I'm just starting the Navy GME application process this summer, and am set on Family Medicine. I am mostly trolling for generic recommendations and tips about the military GME application process, as well as opinions on the various training sites. (This year, it will likely be Pendleton, LeJeune, Ft. Belvoir, and J-ville). I'm HPSP with no prior service, so I'm pretty green and have only participated in one ADT at Pendleton (loved it).

Other questions:
1. If I'm fairly set on family medicine, should I also apply to other specialty programs? Peds would be a distant 2nd choice.
2. What are the biggest factors in the military selection process? (This is likely addressed in a different thread; I'm just lazy).
3. How heavily should I apply to civilian programs? I am fairly comfortable with training in the Navy, and, from what I'm aware, FTOS are somewhat rare for FM.
4. I don't think I found this anywhere else: What is the likelihood of post-intern year GMO tours for Navy family med?

Members don't see this ad.

1. Always apply to a second specialty, but also apply for civilian deferment.

2. Academic performance and if they like you.

3. Unless something has changed, the Navy should be deferring about 5 people per year for FM. You can, and should, apply civilian as well. As heavily as you need to match. You don't want to get deferred and not match civilian and have to SOAP it for a year.

4. I had the list, but I don't recall what the percentage of people going straight through vs GMO were this past cycle. However, I do know people who voluntarily went GMO because they wanted flight or dive.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't get much response the first time. I'm not FP and I've been out a couple years but I'll take a shot.

1. No
2. Same as civilian. Get a letter from an attending from your NHCP rotation
3. Be ready for a surprise. I'd apply broadly just in case.
4. There are continuous contracts in FP so some of the interns will go straight through (most now?) but you shouldn't be shocked if you end up in GMO-land

LeJeune is an armpit. All of the other three would be decent places to live IMO. If you want follow on orders out west, you'd better go to Pendleton.

Outstanding. Thanks for the scuttlebutt.

..I anticipate that I am beginning a long road of minimal admin support and high expectations.

Scuttlebutt is rumors or gossip. Historically the scuttlebutt is a akin to the water cooler or water fountain, that people gather around to chat and gossip - the location became synonymous with the activity.

Gouge is helpful information. Generally unofficial information, unlike if the OP asked the residency PD those above questions - their answers wouldn't really be gouge. Wish I knew the history of that term, I've never learned it and couldn't find it in a quick search.

But, didn't scuttlebutt come from aboard ship? The water tap?

Reactions: 2 users
Almost all of our tradition and slang came from the Royal Navy.

I wonder if the sailors who were in a shipwrecked in Japan will be allowed to wear earrings per tradition if you were shipwrecked and survived, that's how many piercings you'd have.

Scuttlebutt is rumors or gossip. Historically the scuttlebutt is a akin to the water cooler or water fountain, that people gather around to chat and gossip - the location became synonymous with the activity.

Gouge is helpful information. Generally unofficial information, unlike if the OP asked the residency PD those above questions - their answers wouldn't really be gouge. Wish I knew the history of that term, I've never learned it and couldn't find it in a quick search.

It started at the USNA and originally meant good test prep or a cheat sheet.

I wonder if the sailors who were in a shipwrecked in Japan will be allowed to wear earrings per tradition if you were shipwrecked and survived, that's how many piercings you'd have.

I'm assuming you mean the USS Fitzgerald, which was a collision and not a shipwreck since the ship made it back to port and will be undergoing repairs. But either way, piercings in men are against regulations, collision or not, and I'm sure they have more important things to worry about.

I'll put in a plug for the Camp Lejeune family medicine residency. It's in a bit of an arm pit as described above, but the area does have a certain charm (for lack of a better word) where you miss things when you leave. I can't imagine there are too many other places like it especially on the east coast. I learned to deal with it by visiting the surrounding coastal towns or driving to Raleigh/Durham for college sports. Somehow I look back fondly at being surrounded by giant pick-up trucks for three years.

The education I got from the program was outstanding. I was there from 2010-2013. We had terrific leadership that made a lot of changes. I haven't spoken to any of the current residents, but I'm hopeful this has continued under the current program director. NHCL was just designated as a medical center which was rumored while I was there. I guess that opens the door for other residencies, but for now, family medicine runs the place. It's especially a good place if you like OB.

I was at Lejeune for a GMO tour. Aside from it being in a swamp, it wasn't bad. Cultural Mecca is is not. Low cost of living. Excellent public elementary school where we lived in Jacksonville. Nice enough place to have small kids. We won't go back and settle for the long term :) but it was a fine place to spend a few years.

Reactions: 1 users
@Toxic MegaTrollin' I bet by now you got this all figured out! Any info you can share? I'm currently a third year about to start fourth year in the same position you were in! Any info would be awesome!
Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 1 users
Haven't got any information and wanted to see if I could restoke the thread!

The residents hated Jax when I rotated through in 2008. It was a decade ago, so hopefully it has improved over that time.

What information are you seeking aside from what has already been posted?
Looking for additional info about the family med residency locations. Not much info about Ft. Belvoir and really any additional info about any of them.
Thanks in advance!