Natural hair on the interview trail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Slimthick

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Ladies!
As the interview season is winding down I'm curious as to how some of you all have been styling your hair. As some of you know, there was a recently published article by NPR on natural hair discrimination STILL taking place in the workplace/professional settings (http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswi...-theres-still-bias-against-black-natural-hair).
My questions are:

1. What style specifically, and for what reasons?
2. If you did wear you hair au natural did you have an reservations or struggles?
3. Would you have done it any differently?

I'l start first since I asked. For my first 3 interviews (November and December) I wore my hair completely curly with it styled half up half down. In January I switched it up and straightened (was getting antsy as I haven't straightened it in a whole year). These past few interviews I haven't felt any different or had any reservations between straight or natural, but I do wonder what effect it may have had, if any at all.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Also very interested in this question!

1. Interview #1 straightened (got frizzy from rain..not a good look at all), #2 natural, updo, #3 natural, wore my hair down :)
2. I felt uncomfortable with my hair straightened, probably because I'm so used to seeing my natural hair. I also kept fidgeting with it since it rained on that day. Not sure if that threw off my confidence, but I got rejected from that school. I felt the most comfortable with my natural hair in an updo and got accepted from interview #2. Still waiting to hear back from #3.
3. If I go on any more interviews, I will definitely be wearing my natural hair and styling it however I feel most comfortable!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a friend last year who was worried about the same thing. What she did was she wore her hair natural at her interviews in NYC, Philadelphia... places where the cities and schools are very diverse and have a decent number of minorities there. But she had one interview that was somewhere in the mid-west, I forget the name of it but she told me that it was in the middle of nowhere, very country and had little diversity. She straightened it for that interview because she felt that IF there were to still be bias against natural hair, it would probably be at a school like that where there are few minorities and thus, faculty don't see black natural hair very often.

The fact that bias still exists is extremely disappointing, but if you wanted to make sure you're playing it safe, looking at the population of the school that you're interviewing at could help you make a judgement call from there.

Reactions: 3 users
Bunned my fro. I did see one girl with a puff at a NYC school. It looked relatively professional. I didn't feel comfortable with a puff tbh

I'm a few years removed from this conversation, and in this time, I have seen more applicants wearing their natural hair. I love it! Personally, I did not wear my natural hair out, and I stuck to braids. I thought it was more convenient, and I knew I would not fidget with my hair if I had braided it up.

Good post!

I either wore my hair pulled back neatly into a puff or I wore a straight wig.

I wore the wig on interviews when I was concerned about having enough time to make sure my hair was successfully tamed, or if my hair had been a bit more uncooperative around the time of interview. I went to one interview with a full blown fever that hit me that morning, and the wig was a miracle worker.

2. If you did wear you hair au natural did you have an reservations or struggles?
The main reservation was that fear of "omg what if my hair decides to not cooperate today." I made sure it was styled professionally on the days that I wore it out. To be honest, I wouldn't want to attend a school that would reject me because I wore my natural hair out.

I wish my twist outs could look like the YouTube gurus, but that's about it. I've had a successful application cycle, so I wouldn't change anything about my hair. I think so long as I look professional and present myself professionally, my hair isn't that big of deal. I also noticed that the majority of the current black med students I saw at my interviews were natural, so I figured admins are getting more used to it.

Just do what ever makes you feel comfortable and confident!

Edit: I applied exclusively to schools in the southeast, so these comments are related to this region. The schools I interviewed at are also relatively diverse.

Hello Ladies!
As the interview season is winding down I'm curious as to how some of you all have been styling your hair. As some of you know, there was a recently published article by NPR on natural hair discrimination STILL taking place in the workplace/professional settings (http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswi...-theres-still-bias-against-black-natural-hair).
My questions are:

I'l start first since I asked. For my first 3 interviews (November and December) I wore my hair completely curly with it styled half up half down. In January I switched it up and straightened (was getting antsy as I haven't straightened it in a whole year). These past few interviews I haven't felt any different or had any reservations between straight or natural, but I do wonder what effect it may have had, if any at all.
First 3 interviews I wore a frontal unit slicked back into a bun. For my last two interviews I've been rocking my yarn braids. They look nice and they're bob length just have to pin it out of my face

I did weave at first but a frontal install is 250 in these parts and the hair is also 200. I may have to move for medical school so I figured I'd save my coins.

My hair got damaged back under the weave so the yarn braids is as close to natural as I'm gonna get lol.

Hell yeah! I would have rocked my braids for all of them tbh

I wore my hair in a twistout for all 4 interviews

I personally had no reservations, but my parents definitely pressured me. They wanted me to straighten my hair and wear a bun but I had cut my hair in April because of heat damage and didn't want to straighten my hair anymore. So as far as they knew I compromised and wore my natural hair. I was the only one that wore my hair out during my interview so that made me initially feel like I made the wrong choice

Absolutely not, I feel more confident with my hair out

1. I twisted two flat twists in the front of my hair and pulled it back into a bun. I just really feel like buns are super professional, rather you're natural or not. I just wanted to look at professional as possible.

2. I had no struggles at all. I did my hair the night before and wrapped it to be safe.

3. Nope. This is usually my go to look for interviews.

Honestly, just wear your hair however you feel comfortable. Trust me, you need to feel good during your interviews and you don't want your hair to be the one thing that takes away your confidence.

Male here, I am still kind of on the fence with this. Right now I am currently rocking a high top fade. (something like this.) I originally planned to cut my hair to a simple all-even or fade, but am leaning towards keeping my hairstyle as I believe it is apart of who I am. I also am not sure it will actually keep me out of medical school. In terms of facial hair, I plan to be clean shaven. Any other guys out there with non-ordinary hairstyles?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Male here, I am still kind of on the fence with this. Right now I am currently rocking a high top fade. (something like this.) I originally planned to cut my hair to a simple all-even or fade, but am leaning towards keeping my hairstyle as I believe it is apart of who I am. I also am not sure it will actually keep me out of medical school. In terms of facial hair, I plan to be clean shaven. Any other guys out there with non-ordinary hairstyles?

I'm not a guy but I say to cut it. Hair will always grows back. Would you want something as minuscule as that to be what maybe makes you be looked at a little bit unfavourably? Not saying that will happen for sure but I'd much rather not gamble you know?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Every person I've advised to keep their natural hair has gotten accepted. N=2, but hey, that's evidence.

Reactions: 5 users

I'm just a fellow applicant, but I say keep it. Just make sure it's neat and simple (no intricate designs, crazy colors, etc.). The only way to change biases is to increase their exposure to qualified applicants with natural hair. That cut does not seem unprofessional to me and is something that would not distract from a polite demeanor and a suit. If that's what you're most comfortable in, it will show in your confidence and interview skills. Get a fresh cut/shape up and walk into your future :)

i agree with the other posters that it seems fine as long as it's simple without a bunch of design work. If you are nervous you can always lower the flattop a bit

Yeah, it is just a simple neat cut with no designs. I actually have interviewed for other professional stuff, and have not had any issues. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Wonder how interviewers will feel about a puff. I'm struggling, because my interview is Friday and I feel like my puff is unprofessional, although it's just the equivalent to a non-POC wearing their hair in a ponytail... which makes me want to wear it to show that Black women can wear their hair however they please and should be looked at the same. Still leaning towards staying up to put my neater marley twists in the night before *sigh*

Wonder how interviewers will feel about a puff. I'm struggling, because my interview is Friday and I feel like my puff is unprofessional, although it's just the equivalent to a non-POC wearing their hair in a ponytail... which makes me want to wear it to show that Black women can wear their hair however they please and should be looked at the same. Still leaning towards staying up to put my neater marley twists in the night before *sigh*
I have an interview this Friday as well and I'm putting in Marley twists as well!! But i'm just doing that because I'm too lazy to take care of my hair right now. I think puffs are great though and you would not be looked down on because of them. If I wanted to deal with the hassle of doing my hair in another state and travelling with hair care products, I'd wear a puff as well!

I have an interview this Friday as well and I'm putting in Marley twists as well!! But i'm just doing that because I'm too lazy to take care of my hair right now. I think puffs are great though and you would not be looked down on because of them. If I wanted to deal with the hassle of doing my hair in another state and travelling with hair care products, I'd wear a puff as well!

Haha, marley twists are my fav! Good luck, we got this :)

hey there! hope you didnt stay up all night the evening before your interview to twist your hair for The Man! (lol)...this is an interesting thread, for sure as i didnt even have these types of considerations before interviews. i just did it! just to add to whats been mentioned here, i was accepted at more than one school interviewing with a TWA and ill be participating in residency interviews this season with an even more "traditionally natural" style. you are not (only) your hair, yall! best!

hey there! hope you didnt stay up all night the evening before your interview to twist your hair for The Man! (lol)...this is an interesting thread, for sure as i didnt even have these types of considerations before interviews. i just did it! just to add to whats been mentioned here, i was accepted at more than one school interviewing with a TWA and ill be participating in residency interviews this season with an even more "traditionally natural" style. you are not (only) your hair, yall! best!
LOL, I did, only to make myself more comfortable and so I wouldn't have to deal with my hair the morning of. But
hilarious-tweets-every-black-girl-can-relate-to-2-12207-1462812684-7_dblbig.jpg

Reactions: 13 users
LOL, I did, only to make myself more comfortable and so I wouldn't have to deal with my hair the morning of. But
hilarious-tweets-every-black-girl-can-relate-to-2-12207-1462812684-7_dblbig.jpg
THAT JUST GAVE ME LIFE!!! HAHAHAHAHA So funny! :laugh:

Male here too. Wish I discovered this thread before my first interview. I have an afro, but I wore my hair back for my first interview at an HBCU. It was pretty conservative, looked professional with a suit and not feminine in my opinion. The interviewers commented on how different I looked from my picture, and sounded to be in a way that wasn't good. My picture I submitted I had a full on afro. I guess it all depends on the school you go to. But if you have your natural hair into the photos you submit wouldn't interviewers expect you to look like that?

Male here too. Wish I discovered this thread before my first interview. I have an afro, but I wore my hair back for my first interview at an HBCU. It was pretty conservative, looked professional with a suit and not feminine in my opinion. The interviewers commented on how different I looked from my picture, and sounded to be in a way that wasn't good. My picture I submitted I had a full on afro. I guess it all depends on the school you go to. But if you have your natural hair into the photos you submit wouldn't interviewers expect you to look like that?

This is a good point. If you have a natural hairstyle and are getting interviews then dont change in my opinion because the natural obviously didn't scare them away from giving you an interview (especially in more diverse liberal areas of the country).

I would blow dry my hair and make it into a bun. Sometimes, I also put some twists in the front to make a mini twist out and pin it to the side

Resurrecting this thread, has anyone with a TWA had any experience with styling hair for interviews? Mine isn't long enough for a bun.

Sorry, it's a "naturals" acronym for teeny weeny afro. It's actually more of tapered twa.

Oh! I have had and currently may have a TWA (shrinkage is real lol). That's cute. Is your TWA due to shrinkage or is it just short even when stretched out (e.g. twists, blow out, etc.)?

Oh! I have had and currently may have a TWA (shrinkage is real lol). That's cute. Is your TWA due to shrinkage or is it just short even when stretched out (e.g. twists, blow out, etc.)?
Def short on it's own, it's a little longer on top but I recently had to shave the sides due to hair breakage. It's growing back really fast tho.

Def short on it's own, it's a little longer on top but I recently had to shave the sides due to hair breakage. It's growing back really fast tho.

Oh I was just wondering so I can answer your question appropriately. When I had a short TWA I just wore it as is. I actually interviewed with another girl that wore her hair similar to yours as is (shaved/low sides & curlier but still short top). That's fine as long as it's neat & she looked great (even had a little color).

My hair is about shoulder length if stretched but usually around my ears with a twist out so I've done a few things to it but mainly wear it as is (usually after a twist out thought to keep it neater/more defined). However, I was the most "natural" (twist out was a few days ago, had slept on hair, just fluff & go, etc.) at the school that ultimately accepted me. I'm still in the running at a few, but being able to be that comfortable there impressed me personally.

Oh I was just wondering so I can answer your question appropriately. When I had a short TWA I just wore it as is. I actually interviewed with another girl that wore her hair similar to yours as is (shaved/low sides & curlier but still short top). That's fine as long as it's neat & she looked great (even had a little color).

My hair is about shoulder length if stretched but usually around my ears with a twist out so I've done a few things to it but mainly wear it as is (usually after a twist out thought to keep it neater/more defined). However, I was the most "natural" (twist out was a few days ago, had slept on hair, just fluff & go, etc.) at the school that ultimately accepted me. I'm still in the running at a few, but being able to be that comfortable there impressed me personally.

Thanks for sharing!

Fyi, I rocked the high top this interview cycle and netted two acceptances :).

Reactions: 5 users
Hey Ya'll just came back across this thread after making it almost 2 years ago and I'm so happy to see that it is still thriving! As an update literally my whole first year of med school I wore it natural, only straightened it once for a length check and a trim. Its nice to see that there are others who are as interested in natural hair as I am.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello Ladies!
As the interview season is winding down I'm curious as to how some of you all have been styling your hair. As some of you know, there was a recently published article by NPR on natural hair discrimination STILL taking place in the workplace/professional settings (New Evidence Shows There's Still Bias Against Black Natural Hair).
My questions are:

not Dr. Slim thick :rofl::rofl:

Any stigma around long box braids? I would probably do a neat bun rather than down.

My natural hair is thick and curly (half black, half egyptian). A little past shoulder length.

There are a lot of opinions about what to do but my options are: box braid bun, natural down, straight down/bun.

Anyone have insight?

Any stigma around long box braids? I would probably do a neat bun rather than down.

My natural hair is thick and curly (half black, half egyptian). A little past shoulder length.

There are a lot of opinions about what to do but my options are: box braid bun, natural down, straight down/bun.

Anyone have insight?

I would go with whatever you are most comfortable with! Box braids are definitely fine just tie them back.

Along the interview trail I tried a wig and just wasn't comfortable and then slicked my 4c hair into a top puff and felt way more comfortable. A big thing for me was if the school doesn't make you feel comfortable enough to be your authentic self...that maybe isn't the school you want to be at. Good luck!!