NAPLEX is a joke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jibby321

Ready or Not......
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Either my school did a good job preparing me for the exam or the exam is a joke. I'm thinking the latter. I can't believe people fail it. Supposedly it's harder? The old version must have been an even bigger joke.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I think a lay person would fail the exam, so your school probably did something to prepare you. :)

It's hard to say what a failed exam would look like and how it would compare to your exam. Because it's a scaled score, a 65 doesn't necessarily mean someone got half as many questions right as the person who scored a 130.

I passed with a solid score, but I can imagine an exam full of HIV questions or ID questions for pregnant, immunocompromised, and penicillin allergic patients that would have resulted in a fail.

Reactions: 1 user
1. It is a minimum competency exam.
2. Most schools worth their salt have had >>90% pass rate over the last 10-15 years or longer. Some schools hit virtually 100 % yearly.
3. No big deal...this is pretty much the norm for licensing exams across the medical related professions. I tend to think most med/dental/PA/optometry students pass their licensure exams on the first attempt.
4. Passing one exam doesn't mean you are good at something. We probably all have had those classmates whom we would be really afraid to have them make IV bags for our loved ones.

BTW, congrats OP.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Most who have trouble with the exam are poor standardized test takers, have trouble with basic calculations, and/or thought that they did well enough in class to be prepared with little/no studying.

Most schools graduate in late April/May and we are ~2 months out. If you just took the exam, I would assume 2 months of even limited studying would be enough to pass the exam, unless you fit into one of the previously mentioned groups. Also add in the numerous classmates who took the exam and gave tips of what to study for.

End of the day, the exam is a minimum competency exam, so it should not be considered to be overly difficult.

So let's say someone got into pharmacy school got high C's low B's in almost all classes, took the prenaplex before studying at all and got a 63. What's the odds they will actually pass the NAPLEX?

So let's say someone got into pharmacy school got high C's low B's in almost all classes, took the prenaplex before studying at all and got a 63. What's the odds they will actually pass the NAPLEX?

Grades do not mean much for the Naplex, what matters is how much you retained. I think per the Pre-Naplex site it even recommends not taking the Naplex if you score below like an 80. If it was before studying, then the score may improve a good bit. Not sure how useful taking the pre-naplex again will be (the questions are just similar to how the exam will be, none of the questions will be on the exam). I would suggest reading through the numerous posts on the forum about other people's experience on the Naplex and checking with classmates who passed just to be sure you studied things that will likely be on the test. Also, you should make sure you are good on calculations and biostats, as those areas are freebies.

Reactions: 1 users
I haven't taken the NAPLEX yet because I'm still a P4 but....the PRE-NAPLEX was the biggest joke of an exam. It's funny because they tell me the PRE-NAPLEX is actually an old NAPLEX used in previous years.

My school paid for all the students to take the pre NAPLEX my year because the scores were so terrible the last few years. They have now trended from 95>89>83>73% pass rate last year and it is a well established school so it's pretty embarrassing. I remember opening up the pretest and just quitting after 5 questions because it was so worthless.

If the cutoff were 130, would it still be a joke?

130 would be tough to reach. I didn't think the NAPLEX was too bad....the MPJE though, was quite brutal. Not looking forward to that result....

If the cutoff were 130, would it still be a joke?
I got a 120 and I didn't finish all the material in the RX prep book.

But to answer your question if the cut off were 130 then no it would not still be a joke. I don't know the statistics but I wonder what percentage of test takers score a 130 or above.

My school paid for all the students to take the pre NAPLEX my year because the scores were so terrible the last few years. They have now trended from 95>89>83>73% pass rate last year and it is a well established school so it's pretty embarrassing. I remember opening up the pretest and just quitting after 5 questions because it was so worthless.
Wow. How? Less qualified students being accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
It has always been a joke... I think I got 131, granted it was a long time ago but I didn't even study that much... >_>; When you get out, you know for sure 100% you pass it. The same can't be said leaving CPJE site.

Does anyone have any good tips for drugs interactions? I'm having a hard time remembering so many!

Yea test was easy, I studied for 8 days and got a 105. So glad I didnt spend months studying like other people

They still ask stupid stuff about canes?

Either my school did a good job preparing me for the exam or the exam is a joke. I'm thinking the latter. I can't believe people fail it. Supposedly it's harder? The old version must have been an even bigger joke.

Thoughts?
3 months later this nutjob will start a thread
"OMG CVS is a JOKE".

Why would anyone fail NAPLEX? Two quick, legitimate reasons, among others:

1. Test anxiety is very real, and can constitute a major factor in determining the sufferer's performance....even with adequate preparation;
2. Some people struggle more with multiple choice testing vs theory/essay-based test: has something to do with educational background.

On a more rebuking note, why can't all these Dr. Naplex Geniuses be happy that they passed the naplex with such ease & leave it at that? Must you come on here (or anywhere else for that matter) to demoralize those preparing for the exam...especially if they are having to retake it?

If naplex is/was really a joke to you, please swish & swallow it down your throat. Stop spitting ignorance! To many others, it is NOT a joke!! Sheesh...

Reactions: 8 users
NABP is some greedy *****. They decreased the time you could retake it to 45 days and also increased the price. That's like saying you can get your narcotics filled early and were going to charge you more.

3 months later this nutjob will start a thread
"OMG CVS is a JOKE".
Lol. I worked for CVS when I was a tech. CVS is not a joke. It's the literal pits of hell.

Why would anyone fail NAPLEX? Two quick, legitimate reasons, among others:

1. Test anxiety is very real, and can constitute a major factor in determining the sufferer's performance....even with adequate preparation;
2. Some people struggle more with multiple choice testing vs theory/essay-based test: has something to do with educational background.

On a more rebuking note, why can't all these Dr. Naplex Geniuses be happy that they passed the naplex with such ease & leave it at that? Must you come on here (or anywhere else for that matter) to demoralize those preparing for the exam...especially if they are having to retake it?

If naplex is/was really a joke to you, please swish & swallow it down your throat. Stop spitting ignorance! To many others, it is NOT a joke!! Sheesh...
This is a forum used for open discussion. If my opinion offends you then you should take your own medicine. Swish, swallow and keep scrolling.

This is a forum used for open discussion. If my opinion offends you then you should take your own medicine. Swish, swallow and keep scrolling.
Before I leave you swimming in your ego pool, I will repeat it one more time.

That you have been given a license & a gun to hunt does not mean you should point it to your neighbor's foot & fire.

Even in a closed or private discussion, there are times when ignorance must be addressed for the benefit of all parties involved, let alone in a "forum used for open discussion."

One needs not be personally offended before speaking up for what is right.

Before I leave you swimming in your ego pool, I will repeat it one more time.

That you have been given a license & a gun to hunt does not mean you should point it to your neighbor's foot & fire.

Even in a closed or private discussion, there are times when ignorance must be addressed for the benefit of all parties involved, let alone in a "forum used for open discussion."

One needs not be personally offended before speaking up for what is right.
Thanks for your input hoss.

The person that thinks it's a joke. Maybe some suggestions on topics to hit hard and also drug drug interaction? And how were the cases? Long and over bearing or do they have a lot of information that would make it easy to skip over and miss something important to change the answer?

The person that thinks it's a joke. Maybe some suggestions on topics to hit hard and also drug drug interaction? And how were the cases? Long and over bearing or do they have a lot of information that would make it easy to skip over and miss something important to change the answer?

Overall it was pretty broad. If you can do the calculations and know how to convert you should be fine. Calculatons overall aren't difficult just a lot of dimensional analysis type of opportunities. Just knowing general inducers vs inhibitors will help. I have talked to a lot of people and everyone seems to have a different "topic" where they felt they had a lot of questions in. I had a lot in cardiology type questions. Other people I have spoke to have said seizure, antipsychotics, onc, etc etc. If you passed pharmacy school you should pass the Naplex. Good luck.

Overall it was pretty broad. If you can do the calculations and know how to convert you should be fine. Calculatons overall aren't difficult just a lot of dimensional analysis type of opportunities. Just knowing general inducers vs inhibitors will help. I have talked to a lot of people and everyone seems to have a different "topic" where they felt they had a lot of questions in. I had a lot in cardiology type questions. Other people I have spoke to have said seizure, antipsychotics, onc, etc etc. If you passed pharmacy school you should pass the Naplex. Good luck.

The new naplex is the same for everyone, it is no longer an adaptive exam. So it doesn't make sense if people say they had a lot of questions in one topic compared to another. Everyone gets the same 250, just in different order.

The new naplex is the same for everyone, it is no longer an adaptive exam. So it doesn't make sense if people say they had a lot of questions in one topic compared to another. Everyone gets the same 250, just in different order.

You are correct that the test is not adaptive, however, the exam is not exactly the same for everyone. I believe that the same test is administered to everyone on a particular day to allow for proper scoring based on difficulty of questions, but the test itself varies from day to day.

You are correct that the test is not adaptive, however, the exam is not exactly the same for everyone. I believe that the same test is administered to everyone on a particular day to allow for proper scoring based on difficulty of questions, but the test itself varies from day to day.
I took it the same day as someone else I know. The other person had questions on meningitis however, I had 0 questions on meningigits. There were other similar scenarios we discussed after the exam however, I can't remember the specific differences ATM.

Whats the max score on the NAPLEX anyway? I got 130 in 2012-- seemed like a pretty easy exam back then. I'd be curious to see who reports the highest score.

Whats the max score on the NAPLEX anyway? I got 130 in 2012-- seemed like a pretty easy exam back then. I'd be curious to see who reports the highest score.
150. Don't think the score has changed. The test did go from 200 to 250 questions starting last year.

Also, be careful saying the test is easy. You may hurt some people's feelings.

Also, be careful saying the test is easy. You may hurt some people's feelings.

Ironically, you are saying this to me when the title of the thread is 'NAPLEX is a joke.'

I think it was sarcasm. Either way, the point could be well taken. People are a little hard done by after exams. The NAPLEX is insanely expensive and a lot of life plans get tied up in passing the exam. Honestly, I would have felt the same way if I had seen posts about residency matches being a cake walk after I was rejected.

A lot of things tie into exam performance including luck, strengths, weaknesses, and clinical exposure to different topics. I'm not a stupid person, but I have absolutely bombed tests before. It happens, and it shouldn't define people. It's never over. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Ironically, you are saying this to me when the title of the thread is 'NAPLEX is a joke.'
It was sarcasam from an earlier reply from someone telling me I'm being a egotistic dingus because I said an exam was easy lol.

NAPLEX is not a Joke.
I failed the older adaptive test. Hoping to do well on the standardized version.
I would not have been considered a "fringe" pharmacy school student. Not in a bad way anyhow.
I scored in the 92nd percentile on the PCAT and in the top 25 percent nationally on the PCOA in the last didactic semester. Yet I failed.
Of course, PCAT and PCOA are standardized tests....good for me I hope.
Wish me luck on the new version.

Thoughts?

The NAPLEX is a minimum competency, but it is hardly a joke. What is sad is that some schools can not adequately prepare their students for a minimum competency exam. Let me guess, you went to an older, established school?

The NAPLEX is a minimum competency, but it is hardly a joke. What is sad is that some schools can not adequately prepare their students for a minimum competency exam. Let me guess, you went to an older, established school?
Correct.

NAPLEX is not a Joke.
I failed the older adaptive test. Hoping to do well on the standardized version.
I would not have been considered a "fringe" pharmacy school student. Not in a bad way anyhow.
I scored in the 92nd percentile on the PCAT and in the top 25 percent nationally on the PCOA in the last didactic semester. Yet I failed.
Of course, PCAT and PCOA are standardized tests....good for me I hope.
Wish me luck on the new version.
Good luck.

Some arrogant student always has to come on here and post the same thread over and over again how they did so well on a exam and how much of a joke it is. BLAH BLAH BLAH. Tell me that story again about that time you barely studied for your exam and still got an A.

I'm not an arrogant person and I personally thought the old naplex was a joke. I was rank 195 out of 200, and the other five after me dropped out of school, so on paper I was the worst student of my class. I had a GPA of 2.2 in pharm school. I passed naplex with a 107. So when someone says they failed naplex, the only thing I can think of is the person is terrible at taking exams, or they are just as dumb as a box of rocks. I finished the 180 questions before the first break and left. lol I finished cpje in 25 min.

I'm not an arrogant person and I personally thought the old naplex was a joke. I was rank 195 out of 200, and the other five after me dropped out of school, so on paper I was the worst student of my class. I had a GPA of 2.2 in pharm school. I passed naplex with a 107. So when someone says they failed naplex, the only thing I can think of is the person is terrible at taking exams, or they are just as dumb as a box of rocks. I finished the 180 questions before the first break and left. lol I finished cpje in 25 min.

That was the old Naplex. The new Naplex is much harder.

Some arrogant student always has to come on here and post the same thread over and over again how they did so well on a exam and how much of a joke it is. BLAH BLAH BLAH. Tell me that story again about that time you barely studied for your exam and still got an A.
Never. Always studied for every test and didn't always get As. Pharmacy school itself was much more difficult than NAPLEX. Didn't think a thread like this would offend people.

I got 150 and I didn't even go to pharmacy school. The NAPLEX is a joke

Reactions: 3 users
Never. Always studied for every test and didn't always get As. Pharmacy school itself was much more difficult than NAPLEX. Didn't think a thread like this would offend people.

It's kinda similar to loudly talking in class about how easy an exam was/that you aced it and can't understand why the class avg was so low. It comes off as bragging and will annoy some people.

Last edited: