My worries about getting into my #1 school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zbaxter

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So long story short, I'm trying everything I can to get into my dream school. My problem however, is my GPA. My school's average acceptance rate is about a 3.8, where my cGPA is about a ~3.59. Pre-graduate advisers tell me that the main thing the university looks at is the GPA, so I'm trying to do everything in my power to make my other stats stand out.

Dream school's average acceptance rates (vs. my stats):

- GPA: 3.8 (I have a ~3.59)
- References Required: 2 PTs (I'm planning on having 3 PTs. One of which is a popular member of the community, and going to ask another who is a member of the faculty at the university's DPT program).
- Volunteer Hours: 20 Required (I'll have around 300-400 by the time I apply)

While extra curricular activities aren't required, I have ~100 volunteer hours at a local hospital and starting undergraduate research under said faculty member at the university.

Overall, what are all of your opinions? What more do you guys think I can do to make my application look more appealing for the school I want to go to. In addition, what do you think my chances are getting into other state schools?

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't mind me asking, what specifically is your dream school? This may help others when giving feedback.

Yeah, would probably help. The school I'm hoping to get into is the University of South Florida.

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone who got into their dream school which is a top 20 program (with a non-competitive GPA to be quite frank, but over 4,000 hours of experience), I think your reference from a PT associated with the program will go a long way. I had an alumni of the program I'm attending write one of my recommendations & I think this helped to support my application. Just make sure you have a good relationship with this PT & it's not just someone you know in passing.

Reactions: 1 user
Keep in mind that because their average GPA is 3.8, they've accepted students who have GPAs lower than that. It will not automatically disqualify you. Now if it comes down to you and another student scoring the exact same in every other category, they will probably pick the student with the higher GPA. Make sure those rec letters are really good. I would also check to see if the admissions committee will allow you to receive a rec letter from a current faculty member, as it could be a conflict of interest and not allowed. Get hours in as many settings as possible. 200 hours in 4 settings is better than 800 in 1 setting. It is not impossible for you to get in.

Yeah, I should have specified. I will have 300-400 hours over 3 settings (in, out, and home health).