My OAT experience 2017

pineapple1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Since these forums were so helpful when I was preparing for the OAT, I figured I'd share my experience/study plan.

My OAT was this morning, and I began formally studying at the beginning of August (late, I know). I did, however, take Organic Chemistry I and General Chemistry II over the summer, so those subjects were fresh in my mind. I studied every day pretty much all day except when I was working part time. I used the OAT Kaplan Review Notes book to prepare for Biology and read through the other sections as well, but I found Chad's Videos from coursesaver to be the most helpful thing ever. If you choose one resource to use, that 100% should be it, especially for Gen Chem, Organic, QR, and Physics (especially physics). I also bought the OAT Destroyer, which I think could have been more helpful if I started going through it earlier. But yeah - Chad's Videos are the key.

As far as testing center procedure goes, check-in was quick and easy, and I was able to begin early. They give you laminated paper and expo markers for scratch work, and I took the advice from someone on here to wear a long sleeve shirt and use the sleeve as an eraser, which was fantastic advice considering they didn't give me anything to erase with. I had asked the lady from Prometric if I could write notes during the break, and she said no. :/

I thought all of the sections were pretty straightforward. The only ones that threw me off were physics and QR. I had an experience unlike everyone else here seemed to have...my physics was mostly calculations with very few conceptual questions. Ahhh! Felt terrible about that section. And I felt pretty rushed for QR - the problems were harder than the ADA ones. RC had 1 hard passage and 2 easy ones.

Scores: (I didn't take into account the ADA test errors when calculating my score)
ADA 8-20/OAT 8-31
Bio: 320/380
GC: 330/350
OC: 340/400
RC: 310/340
Phy:300/340
QR: 370/320
TS: 330/370
AA: 330/360

I'm satisfied with my scores and did better than I expected. I was afraid that not taking the Kaplan course/practice exams would be detrimental, but I can't complain! My GPA isn't my strongest point so I'm hoping these scores are high enough to make up for that.

Overall, my advice would be: CHAD'S VIDEOS, especially for physics concepts, and do practice problems for calculations. OAT Destroyer's problems are more difficult than the OAT, but if you can do them, you'll likely have an easier time with the actual test. Also don't underestimate the QR section like I did lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Woo! Congratulations on your scores!!! I've been using Chad's videos as my first resource since I started studying in June so I'm glad they helped you out. I'll be taking the test in 11 days!

When you took the actual OAT did you find that the questions were simpler than the practice ADA?

I just took the practice and got 320 on both Bio and Chem. I felt like it was hard in the sense that I was reading each question like twice in order to make sure I wasn't leaving any details out that might sway the answer. I didn't time myself so I'm worried that I'll be rushing on the actual exam unless the questions are more straight forward.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you took the actual OAT did you find that the questions were simpler than the practice ADA?

I just took the practice and got 320 on both Bio and Chem. I felt like it was hard in the sense that I was reading each question like twice in order to make sure I wasn't leaving any details out that might sway the answer. I didn't time myself so I'm worried that I'll be rushing on the actual exam unless the questions are more straight forward.
the practice ADA was very similar but slightly easier than the real OAT.

How would you recommend reviewing for the Biology sections? I also used Chads for the rest of the subjects and have the KAPLAN book.
Did you just read over your notes to memorize or recommend doing problems from somewhere?

How would you recommend reviewing for the Biology sections? I also used Chads for the rest of the subjects and have the KAPLAN book.
Did you just read over your notes to memorize or recommend doing problems from somewhere?
I would recommend going over the Kaplan biology section really well. It's a good overview of the big concepts that are important to know. I felt like the OAT asked questions that were more specific, but if you have a good understanding of general concepts, you can deduce the answers more easily.

I think I did a few practice questions in the OAT Destroyer, which wasn't all that helpful/necessary IMO. I don't think I did many practice Bio questions apart from the practice test.

I would recommend going over the Kaplan biology section really well. It's a good overview of the big concepts that are important to know. I felt like the OAT asked questions that were more specific, but if you have a good understanding of general concepts, you can deduce the answers more easily.

I think I did a few practice questions in the OAT Destroyer, which wasn't all that helpful/necessary IMO. I don't think I did many practice Bio questions apart from the practice test.

Thanks! So would you not recommend doing OAT destroyer? So far I was going to use KAPLAN bio and Chads for the rest of the subjects to review content. And then I was totally going to reply on destroyer for practice problems. Would you recommend another source for practice problems?

Thanks! So would you not recommend doing OAT destroyer? So far I was going to use KAPLAN bio and Chads for the rest of the subjects to review content. And then I was totally going to reply on destroyer for practice problems. Would you recommend another source for practice problems?
It depends on how much time you have. I bought the Destroyer with only 2 weeks until my test (which was dumb lol such a waste of money). So at that point, I didn't really have the time to devote to the Destroyer. But I think if you have at least a month or so, it could be a good resource. My opinion of the Destroyer is that it's beneficial if you actually take the time to go through and solve the problems, but I think it's very possible to do well on the OAT without it.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! Since these forums were so helpful when I was preparing for the OAT, I figured I'd share my experience/study plan.

My OAT was this morning, and I began formally studying at the beginning of August (late, I know). I did, however, take Organic Chemistry I and General Chemistry II over the summer, so those subjects were fresh in my mind. I studied every day pretty much all day except when I was working part time. I used the OAT Kaplan Review Notes book to prepare for Biology and read through the other sections as well, but I found Chad's Videos from coursesaver to be the most helpful thing ever. If you choose one resource to use, that 100% should be it, especially for Gen Chem, Organic, QR, and Physics (especially physics). I also bought the OAT Destroyer, which I think could have been more helpful if I started going through it earlier. But yeah - Chad's Videos are the key.

As far as testing center procedure goes, check-in was quick and easy, and I was able to begin early. They give you laminated paper and expo markers for scratch work, and I took the advice from someone on here to wear a long sleeve shirt and use the sleeve as an eraser, which was fantastic advice considering they didn't give me anything to erase with. I had asked the lady from Prometric if I could write notes during the break, and she said no. :/

I thought all of the sections were pretty straightforward. The only ones that threw me off were physics and QR. I had an experience unlike everyone else here seemed to have...my physics was mostly calculations with very few conceptual questions. Ahhh! Felt terrible about that section. And I felt pretty rushed for QR - the problems were harder than the ADA ones. RC had 1 hard passage and 2 easy ones.

Scores: (I didn't take into account the ADA test errors when calculating my score)
ADA 8-20/OAT 8-31
Bio: 320/380
GC: 330/350
OC: 340/400
RC: 310/340
Phy:300/340
QR: 370/320
TS: 330/370
AA: 330/360

I'm satisfied with my scores and did better than I expected. I was afraid that not taking the Kaplan course/practice exams would be detrimental, but I can't complain! My GPA isn't my strongest point so I'm hoping these scores are high enough to make up for that.

Overall, my advice would be: CHAD'S VIDEOS, especially for physics concepts, and do practice problems for calculations. OAT Destroyer's problems are more difficult than the OAT, but if you can do them, you'll likely have an easier time with the actual test. Also don't underestimate the QR section like I did lol.

Hi! Where did you all apply to? I am taking my OAT in a few weeks, so I'm pretty nervous! How would you recommend that I study and take my time with? Im honestly not a good test taker so thats why I guess Im having problems. advice on what to remember and do if I want the same scores as you?
You did great, BTW! Im so happy for you!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi! Where did you all apply to? I am taking my OAT in a few weeks, so I'm pretty nervous! I have to retake it because I didnt do good the first time. I feel like the ADA was easier compared to the Real OAT. How would you recommend that I study and take my time with? Im honestly not a good test taker so thats why I guess Im having problems. I thought I was doing good but whenever I got the score back, it was not what I had expected. Any advice on what to remember and do if I want the same scores as you?
You did great, BTW! Im so happy for you!! :)
Thank you!! I applied to SCO, NECO, ICO, and PCO and got accepted to all (which goes to show how beneficial a decent OAT score can be...my gpa is hardly over a 3.1). If I were in your position, I’d spend extra time studying the sections you need to improve the most. If you can pinpoint what you struggled with the first time you took it, then that should be your guide for when you’re studying now! No need to keep going over topics you already know. And if you have enough time, watch Chad’s Videos to review topics. I think Chad’s Videos were the main reason I was able to do well. Good luck!!!