My Naplex and CPJE Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hapa2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends! I have not participated in these forums in the past but have heavily relied on them as I went through my pharmacy licensure exams. At times these forums have freaked me out and at other times it had calmed my nerves as I seek information about different experiences others have had. So now that I have passed both the Naplex and the CPJE, it is only right that I share my experience.

Where do I even start? Well, first of all, I went to school in Illinois. As I finished my last year of pharmacy school I decided that I wanted to move to California. With this plan I had been warned that the CPJE was probably one of the hardest law exams I would take because it is barely any law material but more clinical. I was ready for the challenge.

I graduated towards the end of May and moved to California. My advice would be to finish the Pharmacy Licensure Examination Application well before graduation. I am warning you now that the California Board of Pharmacy does take some time with applications and paperwork in general. Being that I was an out of state student, I did not get priority like the many students that went to school in California. Once my application had been sent in, it took about 6 weeks for me to hear back. I quickly scheduled a date to take the Naplex. As far as studying for the naplex I strictly studied out of RxPrep. From cover to cover, studying math every single day for about an hour. Since my authorization to test from the California BOP took extremely long to arrive, I simply spent every day of the week studying for at least 8 hours a day. For study materials for CPJE, I bought the California law book and read it once through from cover to cover. The back of the California law book has a bunch of useful questions and explanations to better understand concepts from the book. RxPrep and Weissman California pharmacy law book were the only two books that I studied from to help me past both the Naplex and CPJE. Honestly, with notes from school, those two books are the only additional materials you would need to successfully pass both exams.

My feelings after both the Naplex and CPJE were horrifying. I definitely thought I did not past either one of the tests. However, I found after a long wait (at least 4 weeks after each test) I received wonderful news from the board about the Naplex then received my green letter for CPJE.

My advice would be to start studying NOW! Although rotations can be a heavy load, take some time on the weekends to look through RxPrep (Also, I did not have the online classes and it definitely was not necessary especially because they are quite expensive). Complete the necessary applications as soon as possible and take the test shortly after graduation. I do not recommend waiting it out like I did, big mistake. Many of my classmates were done with testing in June and I finished my CPJE in September and received my results in October. The wait was ridiculous.

Best of luck to everyone that will be taking licensure exams this year and congratulations to those who have passed and enjoying RPh life!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Hap,

Congrats on passing your exams!!!!
I am a Florida student who got a residency in Cali. I am freaking out about the NAPLEX and the CPJE. You were saying complete the application process ASAP, but I wasn't aware that I can do that without my ATT. And do for the finger printing process, what did you do? Did you take both your NAPLEX and CPJE in Illinois?

Also, my residency is in the SF Bay Area. How did you find a roommate? Did you ship your car or drove it? Do you have any advice for me regarding the moving process?

Thank you!

They prioritize livescan vs the cards. They told me that using the cards adds another MONTH to your application time.