My MCAT 2015 Study Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcatjelly

Meow
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
*Analysis of my May Exam*

I'm sharing my study schedule
(<-- link) that I've spent an embarrassing amount of time creating in hopes that it'll help others formulate their own. :) I started studying about a month ago but not consistently as I'm still settling into the study groove, and am working FT until I switch to prn status for two months at the end of March.

DISCLAIMER: There are no rest days integrated into the schedule. THIS DOES NOT MEAN that I think this schedule can or should be done without taking a break, because I definitely don't think that. Rather, you don't see any break days because 1) I started studying while working full-time and just used this as a guide to determine what order I did things in/pair up the various resources, and 2) I now work on-call so between that and the spontaneity that is life, I wasn't sure exactly when those rest days would be. If I don't feel like studying one day, I won't push it. If I'm really feeling five 8+ hour study days in a row, I'll go with it. And that's why you see what looks like an only-55 day schedule, because of the lack of pre-planned break days. PLEASE TAKE BREAKS!

These are the primary materials I ended up using (edited 6/8/15 for clarity):
  • 2015 EK set
  • 2015 TPR Psych/Socio book
  • 2012-2013 TBR set, mostly for practice passages
  • AAMC CARS question packs
  • EK FLs
  • Official Guide 120 questions, taken as a half-length
  • AAMC Official Sample Test
Optional materials:
  • Kaplan MCAT 528
  • 2015 Kaplan set
  • The rest of the AAMC Question bundles
  • Online Kaplan passages
  • Kaplan sectional exams for CARS, Biochem, and Behavioral Sciences (3 each)
  • 3 Kaplan FLs
  • 3 TPR FLs
Note: I rarely supplemented an EK chapter with other readings, it was just an option in case I needed the extra review.

A typical study day: I aimed for 6-8 hours a day, one EK (or TPR for Psych/Socio) chapter each day. After I read EK chapter #1 of the day, I would do all of the respective TBR practice passages untimed. (Warning: this can take awhile--sometimes even a day's worth of studying--depending on how many passages there are. Don't feel obligated to complete all of the relevant passages. Also, for the physics and ochem books, the passage numbers refer to those in the 52 question exam, not the 25 question exam.) I liked to review my answers after each individual passage so that I could apply the knowledge I gained from wrong questions on one passage to subsequent passages, rather than keep making the same mistakes. Then I moved onto the next EK chapter + TBR passages + review.

As for the 30 minute exams: I found that I did much better on them when I didn't take them immediately after reviewing the relevant TBR passages. Instead, I took the 30 min exams the following day to allow for the material to sink in overnight. Once I started taking them the day after instead of the day of, my scores increased.

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions!

SCORES ON STUFF (in order by date of completion):
(order: C/P | CARS | B/B | P/S | TOTAL)

Official Guide Half-Length: 21/30 (70%) | 29/30 (97%) | 21/30 (70%) | 23/30 (77%) | 94/120 (78%)

Official Sample Test: 37/59 (63%) | 47/53 (89%) | 42/59 (71%) | 52/59 (88%) | 177/230 (77%)

CARS Sample Pack 1a: 43/60 (72%)

EK FL 1: 38/59 (64%) | 41/53 (77%) | 43/59 (73%) | 49/59 (83%) | 171/230 (74%)

CARS Sample Pack 1b: 55/60 (92%)

EK FL 2: 38/59 (64%) | 38/53 (72%) | 37/59 (63%) | 49/59 (83%) | 162/230 (70%)

CARS Sample Pack 2a: 53/60 (88%)

EXAM SCORE: 125 | 130 | 125 | 128 | 508

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 50 users
Ok I saw earlier someone said the question packs are from the old practice tests. So if we have all the old ones the question packs are a bad investment, correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I am using the TPR verbal 2015 book for my CARS preparation, I did two passages. For one I got 3 out of 6 questions right and the other I didn't even understand the passage. Is this normal or is it just me?

P.S. I just started my preparations for MCAT

Hi, I am using the TPR verbal 2015 book for my CARS preparation, I did two passages. For one I got 3 out of 6 questions right and the other I didn't even understand the passage. Is this normal or is it just me?

P.S. I just started my preparations for MCAT

I've never done a TPR verbal passage so I can't speak on the difficulty of those, sorry.

But I will say: relax. You just started studying. Aim to do at least one passage a day. And your performance on the actual exam will be way more indicative of how you did on AAMC practice passages vs. TPR's.

I've never done a TPR verbal passage so I can't speak on the difficulty of those, sorry.

But I will say: relax. You just started studying. Aim to do at least one passage a day. And your performance on the actual exam will be way more indicative of how you did on AAMC practice passages vs. TPR's.

Thank you, could I please know what you are using for preparing for CARS

Haven't found a clear cut answer, so hoping someone can help me here.

I've signed up for the September MCAT, and am heavily deficient in content knowledge and practice. I have a Part Time job that starts from 8 am -12 pm.

I've signed up for an online TPR course running M-Th (1-4) and have also ordered EK books.

I'm completely lost and overwhelmed in my study strategy.

Is TPR better for content or EK? Should I read them together at once, or finish TPR content and go to EK?

I'm so lost!!

Haven't found a clear cut answer, so hoping someone can help me here.

I've signed up for the September MCAT, and am heavily deficient in content knowledge and practice. I have a Part Time job that starts from 8 am -12 pm.

I've signed up for an online TPR course running M-Th (1-4) and have also ordered EK books.

I'm completely lost and overwhelmed in my study strategy.

Is TPR better for content or EK? Should I read them together at once, or finish TPR content and go to EK?

I'm so lost!!

I didn't use TPR for anything but Psych/Soc; EK is fairly deficient in both that section and in Biochem. I'm not sure why you ordered EK in addition to your course unless you're just looking for extra practice? At the end of the day, doing a bunch of practice passages to reveal weaknesses in your content will be much more beneficial than reading two different content review books.

Would you recommend taking a Kaplan full length exam before finishing the designated content review? I'm enrolled in an online course right now and am behind on my readings so not too sure whether I should take my FL 1 or not

Would you recommend taking a Kaplan full length exam before finishing the designated content review? I'm enrolled in an online course right now and am behind on my readings so not too sure whether I should take my FL 1 or not

Sure, why not.

Hi guys,

I made a schedule based on SN2ed's original 4 Month schedule but modified it for ExamKrackers:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8v7kM09WRqsdWl6RWdLcVBlcDA/view?usp=sharing

In addition I will also be using GS tests to fill the last FL's out towards the end (or maybe sprinkle throughout?)

Please check it out and let me know if you would change anything or add anything! I will be supplementing the chapters with Khan Academy's videos throughout to get a visual of everything being worked out/written out.

Main Review Content:
EK 9th Ed. 2015
BR (doesn't matter the year, I am using them for additional questions/passages)
Khan Academy
1001 EK Series + Khan questions + BR questions/passages

Tests:
4 TPR tests
Maybe some GS tests (they sell a bundle of 10 for 150...not bad o.o)
AAMC Tests and some tests that have been suggested on this thread.

and the MCAT date will have to be modified based on the actual MCAT date xD

Cheers! :)

Edit* I forgot to mention that the passages/questions will also come from TPR Verbal and Science workbooks. <-- these two books are VERY important! I think EK is enough for the content review, but never skimp on questions, get familiar with as many questions as you can and as many tests you can afford as you can.

Edit2* Based on the great schedules submitted above I made another for people using EK/TBR/TPR (No Kaplan):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8v7kM09WRqsRUtfUkxpM2VaVTQ/view?usp=sharing

please advise me if I should be doing anything else?

@Medicine4The3rdW Which ones are the TPR Verbal and Science Workbooks? Are these the older Hyperlearning ones?

Members don't see this ad :)
Mcatjelly, at what point should we begin to time our passages?

I apologize for jumping in here, but if it's okay to put my $0.02 in, I might have some useful insights.

Your MCAT preparation is really three different parts. The first involves recovering and reorganizing information you once knew but have let slip to the back of your mind since finishing those classes. This is best done by a combination of review, practice with rote memorization and simple application questions, and passages focusing on the basics of the material. These should never be timed, and in fact should be done slowly to develop good question-analysis habits.

The second phase of homework is when you need to start worrying about timing, because it's one thing to be able to recite facts and information, but a whole different beast to answer multiple-choice application questions at an average rate of one minute per question. You can always go back and review the material after you have finished the passages, but it is essential that you work on timing during the second homework set. Part of getting a good score is quickly realizing what they are asking in questions that may not be worded well. It's also recognizing typical questions and/or typical answer choices. It requires thinking like the test writer, and that is what focusing on speed forces you to do.

The last phase of homework is about simulating the MCAT experience. This involves mixing the material you just reviewed with subjects that correlate. For instance, PV=nRT combines well with tidal volume and effusion combines well with the off-gasing of carbon dioxide from venous blood into the lung, so a good passage will mix those two. These passages should also be done while adhering to strict timing.

The MCAT is a timed test, so the sooner you get to doing practice passages under timed conditions, the better you'll do. I'm assuming this to be true, but when SN2ed put forth his strategy thread, he based it on the BR three phase homework approach. When it is followed well, it can be extremely helpful. If you want some more advice on how to best do homework, click here and read the "phases of homework" section.

Reactions: 2 users
Alright I am planning on applying for podiatry school in about a year and need a decent score to get into one of my top choices (I want to stay in the south because I lived in Minneapolis, MN for a year and a half for work and it was the worst. SO FREAKING COLD). I don't know a whole lot about the new MCAT so I have some basic questions about study courses. Is there any consensus about which study courses are the best or has there not been enough time with the new MCAT? THanks for your response.

Alright I am planning on applying for podiatry school in about a year and need a decent score to get into one of my top choices (I want to stay in the south because I lived in Minneapolis, MN for a year and a half for work and it was the worst. SO FREAKING COLD). I don't know a whole lot about the new MCAT so I have some basic questions about study courses. Is there any consensus about which study courses are the best or has there not been enough time with the new MCAT? THanks for your response.

Unfortunately there's no consensus yet. :( If you go to the compilation of commentary on the new exam in my signature, you'll at least get some test-taker opinions of various prep courses.

Hello,

I am planning to take the MCAT in January, 2016. Right now I have a full course load (5 classes) until the end of December. But I really need to take the exam in January. What kind of prep would you suggest, online, private tutor, or self-study? Also, I would like to ask if you have suggested books for preparing the MCAT and where did you buy them.

It would be great if you could share your experiences with me. Thank you and much appreciated!

Hello,

I am planning to take the MCAT in January, 2016. Right now I have a full course load (5 classes) until the end of December. But I really need to take the exam in January. What kind of prep would you suggest, online, private tutor, or self-study? Also, I would like to ask if you have suggested books for preparing the MCAT and where did you buy them.

It would be great if you could share your experiences with me. Thank you and much appreciated!

Most of your questions can be answered by reading my first post and associated links. :)

I'm no MCAT expert and I don't know how you learn so I can't recommend one type of prep over the other. If you're motivated and disciplined then you can absolutely self-study, and save yourself a lot of money. But there's nothing wrong with needing a prep course or tutor, either.

The books I recommend are the ones used in my study schedule, save for the first edition of EK's Psych/Soc book which is quite sparse on information. I bought my materials off of Amazon, eBay, and prep company sites.

Let me know if you have specific questions!

I really love your MCAT study schedule. Its what I've been using for my MCAT that I plan to take in January!

Last edited:
Most of your questions can be answered by reading my first post and associated links. :)

I'm no MCAT expert and I don't know how you learn so I can't recommend one type of prep over the other. If you're motivated and disciplined then you can absolutely self-study, and save yourself a lot of money. But there's nothing wrong with needing a prep course or tutor, either.

The books I recommend are the ones used in my study schedule, save for the first edition of EK's Psych/Soc book which is quite sparse on information. I bought my materials off of Amazon, eBay, and prep company sites.

Let me know if you have specific questions!

Alright! Thank you! Just two more questions here. Did it take a long time for you to receive the TBR book set? I'm afraid that I don't have much time to wait for it so I'm deciding if I should get something else rather than this one (if it indeed required a long wait). Also, would you think that Kaplan is better than TPR in general?
Thanks again!

I really love your MCAT study schedule. Its what I've been using for my MCAT that I plan to take in January!

:love::love::love::love:

Alright! Thank you! Just two more questions here. Did it take a long time for you to receive the TBR book set? I'm afraid that I don't have much time to wait for it so I'm deciding if I should get something else rather than this one (if it indeed required a long wait). Also, would you think that Kaplan is better than TPR in general?
Thanks again!

I bought my TBR set on ebay and probably received it a lot more quickly than you would if you ordered it directly from the company. I'm still looking to sell my set fwiw--PM me if you're interested in that.

I really can't comment on Kaplan vs. TPR since I only owned the former! I didn't like the set-up of Kaplan's books (very textbook-y, very light on strategy), but that's just my opinion. Very much liked TPR's psych/socio book.

I don't see a lecturei EK 30 minute exam in the book.... It just skips to lecture ii exam...

Hi mcatjelly, I am going to start on your 10 week study schedule, since am planning to take the test in Jan 2016. You mentioned somewhere that you followed this schedule while working FT. Just wondering how u managed 6-8 hours study a day, while working FT. I work full time and don't get home until around 7 pm. Would u please shed some light on your daily routine?

Hi mcatjelly, I am going to start on your 10 week study schedule, since am planning to take the test in Jan 2016. You mentioned somewhere that you followed this schedule while working FT. Just wondering how u managed 6-8 hours study a day, while working FT. I work full time and don't get home until around 7 pm. Would u please shed some light on your daily routine?

Hey! I quickly discovered that I couldn't study while working full time, actually, so at the end of March I was only working prn (which was still a lot haha). I think I mentioned that somewhere in my schedule summary.

When I was working FT, I was really only able to read one EK chapter a day and then the next day I would do the practice problems.

Hello all, New to this forum planning to apply to Rutgers NJMS , does this school offer Merit scholarship if yes what do they look at, how important is the MCAT score in addition to ones Acad's to get the Merit scholarship, pls. advise.

Hello all, New to this forum planning to apply to Rutgers NJMS , does this school offer Merit scholarship if yes what do they look at, how important is the MCAT score in addition to ones Acad's to get the Merit scholarship, pls. advise.

Wrong thread :p

Hi all, I'd really appreciate it if someone can see if I'm approaching this the best way!

First MCAT
C/P: 125
CARS: 126
Bio: 127
Psych: 127

I got a 505, and I'm not happy. I had taken a summer TPR course, but my family moved halfway through it to a different state so I had access to all the materials but not teachers, essentially. Additionally, my mindset was all wrong. I didn't study as often as I could, because of sheer lack of motivation. But now I'm ready to blow this exam out of the park, and I'm confident that if I put in more effort I can score >516, my goal

Basically, I want to retake the test as early as I can, which would be 1/22/2016. That gives me a good 4 months if I start ASAP. I'm currently halfway through a semester in college, but it's my easiest yet so I have time to study (minus final exam week), and all four weeks of christmas break, in which I have no commitments. I still have all TPR materials, so I wanted to go through it again by spending the first couple months before christmas break reading the books/doing passages related to the material. I have 6 TPR practice exams and I plan on purchasing the Kaplan practice exam set, so I can do a practice exam every two weeks starting now, and then more frequently leading up the MCAT.

I've never taken a Biochem course due to transferring to a new university half-way through my major plan, but I'm hoping that TPR will cover the basics of what I need to know, and I can fill in the gaps as I take practice exams. I'm really going to focus my time on C/P however, because that was my weakest score. But I'm in a Chemistry course this semester so it's great refresher.

Any thing else I should be doing? Is it bad that I'm starting extra early, because I might burn out/forget things before the exam? I don't mind purchasing any helpful extra materials if I have too.

Last edited:
I'm not understanding how TPR is used here for Psych/Soci....

We start in section 3.5 and all of 4 on day 15? Then go back and read the rest of chapter 3 on day 19 to supplement bio? I feel like I'm missing something here....

I'm not understanding how TPR is used here for Psych/Soci....

We start in section 3.5 and all of 4 on day 15? Then go back and read the rest of chapter 3 on day 19 to supplement bio? I feel like I'm missing something here....

Two things: the first two chapters of TPR don't contain any content review, just information about the MCAT, so that's why it doesn't start until chapter 3.

Second, my study schedule has EK (or Kaplan) as the main source of content review. All other sources are supplemental. I spent a lot of time making sure the supplemental chapters lined up in the order of the primary review materials. Each prep company organizes the chapters differently!

Right , but start halfway between 3 for psych/soci review? I noticed it was Bio related (starts off talking about receptors and whatnot) and didn't know if that was intentional or not.

Two things: the first two chapters of TPR don't contain any content review, just information about the MCAT, so that's why it doesn't start until chapter 3.

Second, my study schedule has EK (or Kaplan) as the main source of content review. All other sources are supplemental. I spent a lot of time making sure the supplemental chapters lined up in the order of the primary review materials. Each prep company organizes the chapters differently!

What did you score on the real MCAT if you don't mind me asking? Also, Kaplan was terrible for me as far as Biochemistry section on the test! I felt I was reading Chinese! was it just me!

Right , but start halfway between 3 for psych/soci review? I noticed it was Bio related (starts off talking about receptors and whatnot) and didn't know if that was intentional or not.

Sorry I never responded! I no longer own the TPR book so I can't double check but I believe I skipped over that first half of TPR chapter 3 because the content was covered elsewhere in the schedule.

What did you score on the real MCAT if you don't mind me asking? Also, Kaplan was terrible for me as far as Biochemistry section on the test! I felt I was reading Chinese! was it just me!

Haha, had you not taken biochemistry prior to studying for the MCAT? That might be why. :) I thought that Kaplan actually had the most thorough review of Biochem (aside from TBR).

I scored a 508 with a breakdown of 125/130/125/128. Not fantastic, I know, but luckily it's gotten me a few interviews thus far.

Sorry I never responded! I no longer own the TPR book so I can't double check but I believe I skipped over that first half of TPR chapter 3 because the content was covered elsewhere in the schedule.

Haha, had you not taken biochemistry prior to studying for the MCAT? That might be why. :) I thought that Kaplan actually had the most thorough review of Biochem (aside from TBR).

I scored a 508 with a breakdown of 125/130/125/128. Not fantastic, I know, but luckily it's gotten me a few interviews thus far.

No, I didt not take Biochem but as I went over Kaplan Biochem I understood it all,, on the real test I was lost dont know why!

Hii, I just wanted to know where all you guys got the material for mcat jellys study schedule. Thanks and sorry i'm kind of new to this :)

Hii, I just wanted to know where you guys bought the material for the mcatjelly study schedule. @mcatjelly I am going to study for the MCAT according to your schedule which is great in my opinion but I just want to get a few things straight. I read somewhere here that you recommend the Princeton review books for psych and social I think, so I was just wondering if I should just use it instead of the TBR?
Last question I promise! I personally need a more in depth review on all the subjects, which material do you suggest I use? Thank you and sorry but I am new to this :)

Sorry for the double post.

Hii, I just wanted to know where you guys bought the material for the mcatjelly study schedule. @mcatjelly I am going to study for the MCAT according to your schedule which is great in my opinion but I just want to get a few things straight. I read somewhere here that you recommend the Princeton review books for psych and social I think, so I was just wondering if I should just use it instead of the TBR?
Last question I promise! I personally need a more in depth review on all the subjects, which material do you suggest I use? Thank you and sorry but I am new to this :)

Sorry for the double post.

I bought all of my materials from either Amazon or eBay!

I've never seen TBR's psych book so I can't comment on it, but they're generally great books so you'd probably be fine using theirs. That being said, buying the TPR book would give you 3 FLs if you want those!

If you want an in-depth review, go with either TPR or TBR.

I everyone!
I'm planning on getting ready to study for my MCAT During break (exam in April) and I was wondering what's the best way to help retain the information as I continue to also study for my other classes?

Thanks!

I bought all of my materials from either Amazon or eBay!

I've never seen TBR's psych book so I can't comment on it, but they're generally great books so you'd probably be fine using theirs. That being said, buying the TPR book would give you 3 FLs if you want those!

If you want an in-depth review, go with either TPR or TBR.
Okay. Your EK version schedule contains a lot of TBR, do you think it's okay to study by it to get an in-depth review? Thank you for your help :)

Okay. Your EK version schedule contains a lot of TBR, do you think it's okay to study by it to get an in-depth review? Thank you for your help :)

I only used TBR for their practice problems but you could definitely use it to study, yep!

Hey @mcatjelly, in your brief summary of what one of your study days looked like you mentioned taking 30 minute tests the following day. What item on your bulleted list represents the 30 minute tests? Also, now that we are into the 2nd year of the new MCAT are there any better sets than the 12-13 TBR purely from a practice passage perspective? The only material I have so far is the Kaplan book set.

Last edited:
Hey @mcatjelly, in your brief summary of what one of your study days looked like you mentioned taking 30 minute tests the following day. What item on your bulleted list represents the 30 minute tests? Also, now that we are into the 2nd year of the new MCAT are there any better sets than the 12-13 TBR purely from a practice passage perspective? The only material I have so far is the Kaplan book set.

The 30 minute exams are included in the EK content review set.

And the only other books that contain passages anywhere close to what TBR offers are the TPR verbal and science workbooks (which can only be purchased second-hand or through a course) and the NextStep strategy books. I can't vouch for the quality of either, unfortunately.

Kaplan is SUPER sparse on practice questions so you should supplement with any of what I mentioned above, Khan Academy passages online, and/or the AAMC section and question packs.

Hi @mcatjelly. Fantastic resource. Thank you so much for doing this.

Based on what you've said about EK being deficient in Psycho/Soc, if you were to restart from the beginning, would you just substitute in TPR Psych/Soc for EK's Psych/Soc book?

Hi @mcatjelly. Fantastic resource. Thank you so much for doing this.

Based on what you've said about EK being deficient in Psycho/Soc, if you were to restart from the beginning, would you just substitute in TPR Psych/Soc for EK's Psych/Soc book?

Yes, definitely! And I believe that's reflected in my schedule. :)

@mcatjelly Would you recommend doing the practice problems at the end of the 2015 Kaplan chapters? I find the orgo ones to be quite simple and not representative of the MCAT..

Last edited:
How did you stay on the schedule? Were there days you just didn't feel like reading more passages. @mcatjelly Congratulations by the way, and thanks for posting the guide!