My list of interview questions for upcoming cycle!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
bump for post dec interviews

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
New cycle

giphy.gif

Reactions: 10 users
Thanks for the list, definitely will start working my way through these!

One question: in my committee letter interview, I was asked about the current and future issues with dentistry. I thought I improvised a good answer, but was told I needed to work on it a bit lol.
For everyone who's interviewed and got a question about current dental events, where did you all find good information? What kind of research should I be doing to nail this?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the list, definitely will start working my way through these!

One question: in my committee letter interview, I was asked about the current and future issues with dentistry. I thought I improvised a good answer, but was told I needed to work on it a bit lol.
For everyone who's interviewed and got a question about current dental events, where did you all find good information? What kind of research should I be doing to nail this?

Stronger correlation now that oral health is an indication for general health, and that dental issues can lead to overall health issues. So expand on this development and how education is steering towards making these changes and help prepare you for the future. Also schools seem to be encouraging a more team effort among nurses/pt/physicians and dentists. A real focus on looking at the bigger picture and not just fixing teeth.

buumppppp

Reactions: 1 user
bump!
plenty of interviews left this cycle, great resource!
btw, from every female dentist I've talked to, they say to wear anything but black, since all the dental students joke about the "funeral procession" coming through with each group of interviewees... anyone else hear this?

Many schools I went to interview at just had a conversation with me, at Denver we just talked about piano and she brought up a YouTube video of her favorite piece so be sure you can be a normal human and just talk and see where it goes- I haven’t really had “Normal” interview questions.

so after my interview, the only question I got that wasn't on this list in some shape or form was "Who have you modeled your life after, and why?"

last bump for the cycle

Members don't see this ad :)
what is the best way to approach the "why this school and not your state school" question? Won't interviewers know that a lot of people will most likely choose their state schools?

what is the best way to approach the "why this school and not your state school" question? Won't interviewers know that a lot of people will most likely choose their state schools?
That's when you gotta dig really deep and compare different aspects between that school and your state school. You could do things like presence/absence of CAD/CAM, specialization rates, grading (P/F vs grades), class size, etc. Maybe even things like city vs rural life, exploring, new experiences, etc. I never went to an OOS interview (lucky me :p) but this is how I would've approached it if I had. Hope this helps :)

Sometimes I read these posts and it seems like you all overthink these moments. Be yourself. Answer the best you can. Sometimes what you wear is irrelevant. An applicant to my program came for an interview last year, and her wardrobe was far more casual than anyone I had met before. Her interview was one of my most interesting, and she is turning out to be one of my smartest and clinically adept residents. Sometimes the clothes don’t matter. The insightful answers and pleasant demeanor do. After all, you spend the next four years in scrubs (except Pacfific).

Saw a batch of interview kiddos at my school yesterday. Didn't realize its that time again. Good luck

Over the last few weeks I got some PMs, as well as a few phone calls to go over interview questions. Anyone is more than welcome to go over some stuff with me. Whatever I say isn't law, always get numerous opinions, but I can provide some input if anyone likes, wether over phone calls or face time. I had 9 interviews during my cycle and 6 acceptances.

Over the last few weeks I got some PMs, as well as a few phone calls to go over interview questions. Anyone is more than welcome to go over some stuff with me. Whatever I say isn't law, always get numerous opinions, but I can provide some input if anyone likes, wether over phone calls or face time. I had 9 interviews during my cycle and 6 acceptances.
Thanks for being so willing to help!

Any suggestions for questions about "social responsibility" and how it relates to dentistry that isn't just a pat, standard, boring answer? Things to avoid saying in response to this (things NOT to say)?

Last edited:
Thanks for being so willing to help!

Any suggestions for questions about "social responsibility" and how it relates to dentistry that isn't just a pat, standard, boring answer? Things to avoid saying in response to this (things NOT to say)?

Can you give me some examples?

Can you give me some examples?
Sure!

I was going over some of the questions from those who'd been interviewed at one of the schools I've applied at and saw this:

"What is social responsibility and how does it apply to the dental profession?"

Social responsibility might be attacked by discussing overcoming obstacles for our most at risk patient populations. There is plenty of literature that deals with this subject, and even a rudimentary knowledge of this dental hot topic will seem enlightened to many admissions officers, as few dentists actually deal with these issues on a routine basis, except those in hospitals and advanced training programs.

Sure!

I was going over some of the questions from those who'd been interviewed at one of the schools I've applied at and saw this:

"What is social responsibility and how does it apply to the dental profession?"

one thing you should always avoid is to use the phrase "those people"

go get em guys

What schools did you interview at? So far, all the interviews I had have been just conversational and none of those questions were asked.

What schools did you interview at? So far, all the interviews I had have been just conversational and none of those questions were asked.

Uconn
NYU
UB
Temple
UNC
Stony Brook
Rutgers
Columbia
CASE

can anyone please help me out with my first interview at Touro? its in 1 week :)

Will be interesting to see how COVID affects interviews. Good luck everyone

SplendidOffbeatAstrangiacoral-size_restricted.gif