My list of interview questions for upcoming cycle!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh and I was asked by my interviewer if I had any questions. So I asked, In your opinion, what do you think your school has that really separates it from other schools?

So he replies, I don't really know anything about this school...
I froze, shook his hand, told him it was a pleasure to meet him and left so the next student can interview. By far, most awkward part of my interview.
That's gotta be so uncomfortable! Was the interviewer not faculty then?

Members don't see this ad.

Out of curiosity, have many people gotten the question at an interview, "What makes you unique/ why should we pick you?"

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity, have many people gotten the question at an interview, "What makes you unique/ why should we pick you?"

Just got that question yesterday at NYU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewer: Do you just stay in your room all day and study and not go out?

Me: No. I go out.

First question. As I sat down. :shrug:

Is that all you said in response? :laugh:

I'd love to start off an interview with that question...

I go out with your MAMA

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How do you answer, what is an obstacles that you had to overcome?

I know I should state a problem, what I did about it an action/solution. I don't really have much obstacles I can think of. Please help.

Tell me about yourself

Why dentistry

Why here

Name 3 attributes about yourself that would make us choose you over other equally qualified applicants...

Are you willing to utilize the resources we have here? What worked for you in undergrad may not work here. Explain.

How many schools did you apply to? What made you choose this school (2nd interviewer)? If you were accepted to here and your state school, which would you choose and why?

Do you have any questions?

*Does anyone have a good answer for the "if you were accepted to your state school and this school which would you choose?" We obviously aren't going to say X school because they are cheaper...

How do you answer, what is an obstacles that you had to overcome?

I know I should state a problem, what I did about it an action/solution. I don't really have much obstacles I can think of. Please help.

make one up. Maybe a group project presentation that had issues, you had to be the diplomat. How did you resolve it.

Tell me about yourself

Why dentistry

Why here

Name 3 attributes about yourself that would make us choose you over other equally qualified applicants...

Are you willing to utilize the resources we have here? What worked for you in undergrad may not work here. Explain.

How many schools did you apply to? What made you choose this school (2nd interviewer)? If you were accepted to here and your state school, which would you choose and why?

Do you have any questions?

*Does anyone have a good answer for the "if you were accepted to your state school and this school which would you choose?" We obviously aren't going to say X school because they are cheaper...

Look up particular traits that are well known to the school, like CASE and their simulation clinics.

bump for those who are finishing some last minute interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
Just wanted to say thank you!! I used this a while back and was extremely helpful for my interviews.

I agree! This list helped me so much for my interviews

Just wanted to say thank you!! I used this a while back and was extremely helpful for my interviews.

Absolutely, same here!

I agree! This list helped me so much for my interviews

aww thanks guys :). I'm glad it helped.

Happy-Crying-Face-Meme-02.gif

last bump for the cycle!

Make sure you guys read up on the schools that you are interviewing at. I got asked at a certain interview if I knew their mission statement.

It was SOOOOO awkward when I had to say no. I was accepted to that school... but still.

DEfine the "you going to funeral look" lol. seriously though
All black. Black suit, black tie, black shirt. You really shouldn't be wearing completely black in any of those in a traditional sense (black suits used to be worn pretty much for funerals only) but you can get by on a black suit if that's all you have, no one is going to care in the medical profession.

Hey, you guys want to know what I'm wearing to my interview? 3 words: T-shirt. Shorts. Crocks. I think the acceptance letter will be waiting for me on the admissions desk

Hey, you guys want to know what I'm wearing to my interview? 3 words: T-shirt. Shorts. Crocks. I think the acceptance letter will be waiting for me on the admissions desk
I saw a girl interviewing for a different healthcare program wearing a bright pink jacket, jeans, and sneakers. Everyone else in her interview group was dressed similar to us and wearing suits. I could not imagine WTF was going through that girl's head when she decided that was an appropriate outfit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a girl interviewing for a different healthcare program wearing a bright pink jacket, jeans, and a sneakers. Everyone else in her interview group was dressed similar to us and wearing suits. I could not imagine WTF was going through that girl's head when she decided that was an appropriate outfit.

Okay, I was on the fence before, but now I know exactly what I'm wearing

New cycle!

Reactions: 4 users
New cycle~!

bump

Thanks for being so on top of this! :thumbup:

Definitely refer to Faux's list when prepping for interviews guys. I used it last cycle and found it incredibly helpful.

So do these questions come up during MMIs at all?

And do the "explain this weakness" questions come up a lot in regular interviews? Like grades, withdrawals?

...I don't really have a viable explanation for my withdrawal (no emergency...I was doing poorly so I dropped it). Grades...I was a lazy ass in my freshman and sophomore years, I picked up the slack later.

Do they expect really strong explanations for these? I'm a little scared of these questions since I don't have "legit" excuses like family emergencies.

And do the "explain this weakness" questions come up a lot in regular interviews? Like grades, withdrawals?

...I don't really have a viable explanation for my withdrawal (no emergency...I was doing poorly so I dropped it). Grades...I was a lazy ass in my freshman and sophomore years, I picked up the slack later.

Do they expect really strong explanations for these? I'm a little scared of these questions since I don't have "legit" excuses like family emergencies.
I was never asked about any withdrawals or grades, but I had all closed interviews.

If I did though, I would have just talked about how I was still figuring out my best learning style and managing how to be a good student along with working, volunteering, student organizations, etc. I would then highlight how my grades improved over subsequent semesters.

I had to address some bad grades and withdrawals during my interviews, and to my surprise, I never once felt judged by the interviewer. They were very understanding and comforting.

My advice is to just stick with the truth. If they see that you are genuine, I don't think they will care. You seem to feel regret and know where things went wrong. They understand mistakes happen. They've seen plenty of subpar grades.

Just follow it by what you did differently the second time around when you retook the course. How did you change your approach? Did you study differently? Emotional changes?

You'll be ok.

Black suit is the uniform, don't stray.
Weakness answer:
I don't take enough time for myself, I get so involved with my work/studies. I should really take more time to spend away from schoolwork and studying. Do not state any real weakness, no one wants to hear it.

Haircut, shave, etc very important....look like you want to be a professional. There will be plenty of time to look unkempt in D school when you have been studying 36 hours straight. Or an OMFS resident. Always look like you are taking things seriously.

Thanks for being so on top of this! :thumbup:

Definitely refer to Faux's list when prepping for interviews guys. I used it last cycle and found it incredibly helpful.

I wish I had a more proper list when I was interviewing instead of looking up each school on here. Figured I'll keep bumping it occasionally

I wasn't asked about it but you could refer to fogorvostan's post. Always try to turn it into a positive/learning experience.

bump

Going to answer a chunk of questions everyday until my interview.

9. What type of dental program are you interested in?

This question referring to specialties? Like which specialty I'm interested in?

9. What type of dental program are you interested in?

This question referring to specialties? Like which specialty I'm interested in?

I had this question at my Uconn interview and a few others. I talked about the recent studies about dental care affecting total body health and that I wanted a curriculum that kept that in mind. Obviously i gave a more in-depth answer than that, but you can fill in the gaps.

Hi @Faux thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy life to post this and continuing to help others! You are awesome. I just had two questions:

1. What kind of answer should you/did you give for the "why should we pick you over someone with the same credentials?" Question.
2. When interviewers ask what type of dental program I'm interested in, could I say patient/community based? Especially if that's the school's program, as well?

thank you in advance!

Hi @Faux thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy life to post this and continuing to help others! You are awesome. I just had two questions:

1. What kind of answer should you/did you give for the "why should we pick you over someone with the same credentials?" Question.
2. When interviewers ask what type of dental program I'm interested in, could I say patient/community based? Especially if that's the school's program, as well?

thank you in advance!

1. for that question, I usually went back to my own person experience. I had around $10,000 worth of rehab done on my mouth, so I've been in that patient chair, I know how anxious and nerve wracking it is and I know how important it is to have someone who actually cares on the other side of that chair. I expanded a bit more than that but kept it short and concise.

2. You could say patient, community based but I feel thats every school. I would sprinkle in the fact that the school seems to take a whole body health approach into dentistry and how oral cavity can indicate other overall health issues going on. which is what the profession is heading towards. More and more schools are starting to put that in their mission statement.

1. for that question, I usually went back to my own person experience. I had around $10,000 worth of rehab done on my mouth, so I've been in that patient chair, I know how anxious and nerve wracking it is and I know how important it is to have someone who actually cares on the other side of that chair. I expanded a bit more than that but kept it short and concise.

2. You could say patient, community based but I feel thats every school. I would sprinkle in the fact that the school seems to take a whole body health approach into dentistry and how oral cavity can indicate other overall health issues going on. which is what the profession is heading towards. More and more schools are starting to put that in their mission statement.
Thank you so much!!