My life long dream is going to fade away...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunrat39

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been viewing this forum off and on for quite some time now and I am going to finally start a thread.

My GPA right now is a 2.936 and I am expecting a C in orgo 2, C in Pchem 2, C in Bio Plant, and a B in Spanish 2. I have had to redo Gen Chem 1 (D to a B), Orgo 1 (from F to C), Orgo 2 (D to C), and Calc 1 (D to B).

My Chem grades are:
Gen Chem 1 - B
Gen Chem 2- A
Orgo 1- C
Orgo 2- C
Pchem1- B
Pchem2- C
Quant Chem-C

Bio:
Animal System- B

Physics-
Part A- C
Part B- B

Math-
PreCalc- B
Calc 1- B
Calc 2- C

I will be taking bio chem, and a couple of Bio next semester. I plan on taking the MCAT this August. Obviously, I have to redo a lot of classes. My questions are: even if I redo all the classes that I need to, how will it affect me getting into med school? Do i even have a chance?
Also, can i graduate from my undergrad and go back to my undergrad and redo my classes to boost my gpa? Or do i have to do this before i graduate?
Will my transcript kill me? I don't know what to do guys, I don't want my dreams to be shattered so early. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

While not impossible to get in, it would take a lot of work. I would suggest taking the mcat after you redo your classes/do a post bacc. What would be the point of taking it now?

I agree with MarzMD. There is a lot of competition out there. Raise your scores and try for post studies before attempting the MCAT. Remember you need to have something to fall back on incase you don't get into med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I took a 3.19 and turned it into a 3.32 after 1 year of Post Bacc. If you get A's from here on out, you can still make it. But you need to step back and figure out why you are not getting A's in all of your courses. Until you do that, you should stop taking classes.

LifetimeDoc said:
Well, I took a 3.19 and turned it into a 3.32 after 1 year of Post Bacc. If you get A's from here on out, you can still make it. But you need to step back and figure out why you are not getting A's in all of your courses. Until you do that, you should stop taking classes.

What is "Post-Bacc"? Is it a specific program that people apply for to take extra class, or is anything called "Post bacc" if you take extra classes after you graduate? Just have this confusion, would appreciate if anybody can clear up my confusion.

Do well on your MCAT and consider doing a Special Masters Program instead of re-taking classes. It shows adcoms you can do well in upper level medical science courses.

In my opinion, re-taking classes and doing better the second time around just shows me you need twice as long to do well in a science course. This to me isn't as impressive as taking something like biochem with medical students and doing well.

Just a thought.

LifetimeDoc said:
But you need to step back and figure out why you are not getting A's in all of your courses. Until you do that, you should stop taking classes.

I agree with this statement.

I have many friends who were pre-med but they ended up getting C's in every class and dropping out. Here are the main reasons--as far as I have noticed--why these people have become C/B students.

1) They didn't like science in the first place. I'm not saying that's your case, but just maybe, you should think about it. If you DO like science, keep working hard.

2) They lost confidence in themselves. Sounds cliche, but after a few C's, they got "stuck" in the C-range, and didn't think they were capable of more.

3) They didn't study enough, or didn't study well. This is a HUGE part of the grade, obviously. Go to class, pay attention, do review, study by yourself before studying with someone else (people tend to distract each other). I have found the following helpful: I rewrite all of my classnotes, I end up condensing, for example, 40 pages of power points into 10 pages, and that seems like a lot less to study when the exam comes. Do well on your quizzes, they DO help your grade in the end.

Maybe you want to consider the counseling center at your school, they may be able to figure out what is causing your lack of motivation, and just help you think. Think about it.

:love: GOOD LUCK!!!
Remember: it's never impossible if you want it bad enough.

prettyslick said:
What is "Post-Bacc"? Is it a specific program that people apply for to take extra class, or is anything called "Post bacc" if you take extra classes after you graduate? Just have this confusion, would appreciate if anybody can clear up my confusion.

Postbac is used for both. In its purest sense it means any classes you take after college graduation, hence "post-baccalaureate". There are formal programs, mostly for those who never took the prereq sciences. There are open enrollment type programs at which you can take upper level courses. Then there are informal, do it yourself postbacs, where you just take classes at whatever university you can. Then there are SMPs (special masters programs), which some call "postbac" but aren't really the same thing, because it is a graduate program and the grades don't get averaged in with your undergrad in the spot on AMCAS where they combine ug and postbac. Hope that helps.

Definately don't worry about the MCAT right now. Focus on your classes to try for that upward trend in your GPA. I graduated from UCLA w/ a <3.0 GPA and am currently finishing my masters in Nutritional Sciences combined w/ a postbac. Although I was really frustrated when my advisor told me to do a masters/ post bac, it has been an extremely rewarding process. Once I left the obnoxious pre-med bubble of my undergrad, I was able to really enjoy learning and I was able to pull straight A's. I also learned how to take better care of myself by exercising regularly, eating healthier, reading for pleasure etc.

So... focus on your classes now. Perhaps take a harder class over the summer so you can just focus on that. If you can cut your science classes to no more than 2 a quarter, even if it takes you longer to graduate, I would do so.

I know how discouraged you may feel right now. This pre-med process is definately a marathon and not a sprint. Don't give up!!!!!!

Law2Doc said:
Postbac is used for both. In its purest sense it means any classes you take after college graduation, hence "post-baccalaureate". There are formal programs, mostly for those who never took the prereq sciences. There are open enrollment type programs at which you can take upper level courses. Then there are informal, do it yourself postbacs, where you just take classes at whatever university you can. Then there are SMPs (special masters programs), which some call "postbac" but aren't really the same thing, because it is a graduate program and the grades don't get averaged in with your undergrad in the spot on AMCAS where they combine ug and postbac. Hope that helps.

Thanks! thats what I thought, just wanted to clarify!

Try taking a break from science for awhile. I made some C's my sophomore year in science classes, which made me really disgusted with science. Then I declared my English major (b/c face it, we all start out as bio majors) and just took 1-2 sci classes a term. Less science classes plus fun lib arts classes made for a more relaxing college experience, and I've had a 4.0 ever since. Don't feel like you have to cram all of your science classes in one term just cuz the other premeds or bio majors are. It's not necessary.

MarzMD said:
While not impossible to get in, it would take a lot of work. I would suggest taking the mcat after you redo your classes/do a post bacc. What would be the point of taking it now?

Just keep in mind that EVERYONE who "truly" wants to become a doctor can become a doctor. If you want to practice in the US, then obviously you'll need to go to an accredited med school in NA - however, carribean schools are always an option.

I remember a friend of mine, two years ago when we were in 3rd year - I asked him, "So what ru going to do in 4th year? what courses will u take? will u re-write the mcat?" and he says to me "I'm not going to be here for 4th year, I will be in med school next year". I didn't believe him. His stats were 3.57cgpa and his mcat scores were BS 8, VS 7, and PS 7. He got into Ross U and now he's starting his clinical rotations...in the US. He's gonna be a family doc in the US. His uncle did the same thing (that's who gave him the idea) and his uncle rakes in 180K/yr.

So, how badly does one want to be a doctor? And how badly do you want to be the "best" and practice the best specialities? If you don't care about prestige and limited opportunities for specialities, carribean schools are almost a sure shot.

Course, I just projected my furture grades. I can only hope for a GPA of 3.45 after 2 years of straight A's in Post Bacc. How depressing. Sometimes you wonder if stealing someone else's identity, starting from day 1 in college would be easier.

Members don't see this ad :)
Expand your horizons. There are many good fields in addition to medicine. Consider dentistry, podiatry, chiro, physician assistant, etc.

Taurus said:
Expand your horizons. There are many good fields in addition to medicine. Consider dentistry, podiatry, chiro, physician assistant, etc.

Why would somebody decide to go into a field they don't want to go into? That's not good for the patients.

My best advice is to make sure you aren't taking too many classes. Next semester take just 3 classes and don't work if possible. Concentrate on those three and really get a grasp of what it takes to study/suceed. Then maybe after that you could take 4-5 classes.

One thing I see a lot is, people trying to take 5-7 classes and killing their grades doing it so they can get their double/triple major in 4 years or to graduate early or something. A year doesn't matter, 2 years don't matter, when you are 65 you are going to look back and think I'm glad I spent those extra few years goofing off in college before I started medicine.

You should really work on making all A's until you graduate. You can probably bring up your GPA significantly if you do that but you need to take your time!

I would suggest doing a post bacc program, as well.

Study you BUTT OFF for the mcats. Even a poor GPA will be forgiven for stellar mcats. you should study for these like your career depends on it. study study study. if you do great and can get your grades up, i bet you'll be fine.

Also, if being a doc is your dream i suggest looking into DO schools as well.
I have a lot of respect for DO's and i don't think they're sub-par docs, but the truth is they accept lower numbers then md schools do. period. so apply to lots of DO programs get some good volunteer work. good luck.

omgwtfbbq? said:
Even a poor GPA will be forgiven for stellar mcats.

This is said a lot on SDN but isn't actually true. Not many folks get into med school with a 2.9 even with a stellar MCAT. If you have below a 3.0, a 40 MCAT won't generally save you. You (OP) have to address the GPA first or the MCAT is a waste of time. It can be done, but as with all good things, might take time.

omgwtfbbq? said:
Study you BUTT OFF for the mcats. Even a poor GPA will be forgiven for stellar mcats.
Not rly. My co-worker has a pretty decent application, but he got denied even from our state school with his 3.4/35 because they thought his GPA was too low - and they told him that. You need to show that you can get A's in your classes AND do well on the MCAT. Med schools get the pick of the litter - they're not going to take someone with a glaring fault on their application.

TheProwler said:
Not rly. My co-worker has a pretty decent application, but he got denied even from our state school with his 3.4/35 because they thought his GPA was too low - and they told him that.

Was the state school the only place he applied to?

Rafa said:
does anybody apply to only one school?

no, it wasn't, but I couldn't tell you how many others he applied to for sure.

Rafa said:

I don't know if the GPA was the only thing standing in his way...sure, a little low, but now too low.

TheProwler said:

no, it wasn't, but I couldn't tell you how many others he applied to for sure.

I only applied to my two state schools and was accepted to both but I'm sure I wasn't really that competative anywhere else.

The OP needs to take a long, long break from higher education to do something constructive. Not only will this give him some distance between his bad grades now and his better (hopefully) future grades but it might give him time to reconsider his burning desire to be physician. Folks, it's a fine career but it has it's drawbacks and who's to say that if I had known then what I know know I might not, myself, had had quite the burning desire.

TheProwler said:

Yeah...it's called EDP. :)

baylormed said:
I don't know if the GPA was the only thing standing in his way...sure, a little low, but now too low.

Oh, I agree. I don't think 3.4 keeps you out of the running.

Well there are certain things in your post that raise concern. You said that you were basically retaking all those classes bc you got Fs in them the first go around. Then for some reason you decided to retake them all at the same time. All 4 or 5 courses you listed (which all sound like difficult courses) at the same time. DId you ever think out the implications of that? Even with working your ass off it would still be difficult to get A s in them and you definitely needed As in them bc you got Fs the first time. SO did you actually take them seriously or did you just haphazardously sign up for them?

Sorry for the rant. But you need to get more serious.

Its not over for you. I went from a 2.7 at the end of my soph year to a 3.4 at the end of my senior year.

But maybe the carribean or DO schools might be an option for you?

well, i really think i should bump up my gpa first, and i guess the mcat can wait... ill be a senior next year and i am 21. So, I guess I can spend some extra time fine tuning my gpa. I know I will have to explain why I didnt do well the first time around to med school, but Ill worry about it when the time arrives. Being a MD is something I really want to be, not a DO (no disrespect just something I dont want) and I dont believe I will go to the Caribbean Schools either.