My Game Plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ichorbaron

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I graduated from TTU with a less than stellar gpa in biology.

Right after graduation, I started working in data entry in a hospital laboratory. It was tough at first, the workload was immense but eventually I enjoyed working closely with the lab techs and phlebotomists.

Gradually I was trained to draw blood and do more tasks around the lab. I've seen code blues, helped prepare pathology specimens, urine aliquoting, take/make orders for medical supplies, and I speak to about 50 nurses a day regarding tests/tubes/results, I love my job! Somedays I feel like the lowest guy on the totem, but other days I feel like I keep our lab (and hospital) running.

I wish I would have taken this job before college because then I would have been more ambitious. I felt very aimless in my undergrad and in retrospect, I should have paused college to understand what I wanted to do.

After graduating I was completely broke and worked hard to rebuild my bank account, get my student debt under control, and was able to take 6 hours in a higher science to help my gpa.

It's likely that i'll be trained on the job as a tech with a supervising tech (a little bit better pay).

Summer 2017 work, volunteer, and save
Fall 2017 work take 6 hours sci (lotr maybe)
Spring 2018 work take another 6 hours sci
(Lotr maybe)
Then

I plan to apply to the TTUHSC 12 month CLS program (35 hours). Most of the program is online and the hands-on lab requirements take place in the lab I already work in. The program is affordable and I can work full time. During this time I will shadow a D.O. and the pathologists in our lab. I'll have to take the MCAT before applying to UNTHSC.

I'll apply to the UNTHSC graduate program for biomedical sciences (40 hrs) and hopefully get a part-time job in some lab.

From there hopefully I'll be in a good spot to apply to a D.O. school out of Texas (maybe gacom).

Could this work?
Thanks for taking the time to read all this

Members don't see this ad.

That is a good plan and similar to my plan! My undergrad gpa is below 3.0 though. I was wondering if you ever did apply to Texas Tech cls second degree program and attend and if so, how was it?