My Future Undergraduate

Laptop_Looking

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, soon to be a senior from Illinois (god, how time really flies by). Like basically everyone else, I've been visiting a lot of colleges recently, trying to find that one sweet spot. I've visited a good mix of schools, top-tiers like Rice, and lower cost ones (I will be visiting Oklahoma and UT Dallas next week). Personally, I couldn't care less about the name of my school, and the consensus seems to be that medical schools don't either. However, what worries me is that I'll be "stuck" if I spring for a zero-cost school. Before I elaborate, here's some more personal info.

I don't want to delve too much into my stats, I do have some good ones. I have a pretty good GPA and ECs, 1590 SAT, 35 ACT, etc. I will also (93.8% certainty), be a National Merit Finalist, so this opens a lot of low cost doors. Now, my family is by no means poor. However, we have an income of around 110k, which is in a bad spot for need-based aid (too rich, yet too poor). I'm also a middle child, so my family will have some large costs down the road. Factoring in medical school, and the costs rise even further. For this reason, I've been drawn to some schools (UA, UAB, UTD, Oklahoma, etc) that will give me a full ride, and even pay me a stipend because of National Merit. However, I'm worried that these schools will serve as a detriment down the road if I want to apply to great medical schools down the road. In addition, I'm also afraid that I'll be trapped if I choose that medical schools is not for me.

For those of you here who chose the "lower tier," or even chose it over the higher-tier, do you have any regrets, advice or information?

I recently read a thread here about Oklahoma (at no cost) vs Duke, and the consensus seemed to roundly be in Duke's favor.

EDIT: Rather unsurprisingly, I'm in the same boat as this guy: (Undergrad) Full ride to big state school? Good idea or no?, if that helps with some more info.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest going to the cheapest college that has an attached medical school. That will open up alot of doors for volunteering and research, and wont be much of a burden to your family's pockets.

Hi, I'm the guy you linked! I've talked to some college counselors and they say that school fit really needs to be considered. You're obviously a very smart guy and it's very possible that you won't like the environment (not that OU is a dumb school, but your stats are way higher). You should also consider that schools with tons of money like Alabama also gives full scholarships to non-merit scholars that have good stats.

As for me, I'm leaning towards the big state schools that gives lots of money. It would be easier for me to do well and survive the hard courses, and also I won't have stress about tuition. I just have to study like crazy and not "get stuck" like you said.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

Hi, I'm the guy you linked! I've talked to some college counselors and they say that school fit really needs to be considered. You're obviously a very smart guy and it's very possible that you won't like the environment (not that OU is a dumb school, but your stats are way higher). You should also consider that schools with tons of money like Alabama also gives full scholarships to non-merit scholars that have good stats.

As for me, I'm leaning towards the big state schools that gives lots of money. It would be easier for me to do well and survive the hard courses, and also I won't have stress about tuition. I just have to study like crazy and not "get stuck" like you said.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile
Thanks for replying!

Yeah, I guess I'll have to wait and see.